Does focus make a difference?

loneswaneast

Cathlete
Hi,
I've been attempting to multi-task my workouts by doing Cathe workouts with the sound off and instead listening to books on tape. I find this easy to do with the ones I pretty much know by heart, so I don't need to hear cues and tips.
I still work up a sweat and feel as good as I would with listening.
My question is, does not thinking about the exercise affect its efficacy?
Am I not getting the same amount of benefit?
Thanks in advance.

I did Cathe's ICE To The Mat workout yesterday and at one point she mentions that it is easy for your mind to wander during repetitive exercises but to try and stay focused. I've also heard a number of instructors say that you get better performance from the muscle you are working if you focus on it.

loneswaneast,

Your question is interesting. It sounds as if listening to books allows you to get a good workout.

I have just the opposite experience whereby--especially weight lifting workouts--I have to concentrate on the muscle involved, picturing its anatomy, sans skin, in my minds' eye while focusing on contracting the muscle(s) involved.

For instance when I do a dumbbell row I picture my lat and serratus, loosen my hand grip, flex the muscle then pull up the dumbbell by using only those muscles. Hope that makes sense.

During Cathe's step workouts I concentrate of keeping my abs contracted, listening to Cathe's advice about form--even though I've heard it over and over--only using my muscles not my joints, flexing my quads, glutes, etc. depending on the move.

My process works for me; however, everyone is different, their bodies respond differently. I don't think there's a right or wrong way, it's whatever works best for you.

I think I went off on a tangent...sorry :(

Part of the enjoyment of exercise for me is listening to Cathe, because then I'm not thinking about all the other stuff I could be thinking about. I want the focus, I want that time to be about the moves and the weight and the feel. I don't even listen to music.

It is so hot I'm having run a loud fan while working out. I can still hear Cathe, but the music is hard to hear....I think when I can hear the music again I'll get more enjoyment from my workouts.

What works best for me is staying focused on the workout. I have had experiences when I completed a workout section and can't remember doing it because I was focused on what I needed to do that day. I don't like that feeling. So now when I workout i am intentionally focused on my form, muscles, Cathe's cueing and tips and my goals. For me doing that yields the best results and workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.