Does anyone else think their 1RM is low?

alison13

Cathlete
I just tested my 1rm for regular squats. I squatted 70 lbs 10 times with good form. The workout manager says my 1rm is 93 lbs. That sounds low to me... am I crazy?

Alison

You might try retesting using five or ten pounds more.

I found that several of my original 1RM test were low, not because the calculator was wrong, but because mentally I was not used to such heavy weights. I tended to test with too light a dumbbell, then stop at ten/twelve because of forearm fatigue. This was an easy problem to correct. When I started again, using heavier weights for my 1RM tests, forearm fatigue was not as much of a factor so the test results reflected my legs/glutes/etc and not what my hands were able to hold. One of the really nice things about Meso 1 is the way it helps improve forearm strength, "just in time" for Meso 3 :)

Forearm strength may not be your issue, but it sure made a difference for me! Even at that, I made huge strength gains in Meso 1 and 2, continually "having" to add weight onto the predictions; and again I'm guessing it was both the beauty of STS and from actually getting a mental handle on how much more I really could lift.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I will retest that one with more weight. I KNOW I was a little hesitant to push too hard. I can tell that I didn't push myself hard enough cuz I'm not sore enough today! =)

Thanks for the idea!
Alison

Alison,

I did my 1RMs for Meso 2 Disc 13 yesterday and I think a couple are low.

Instead of retesting though, I'm going to go with it and adjust the weight up if I feel it is too light while during the workout, then make a note.

I assume that is why Cathe and crew are writing their weights down between sets...because thy are constantly adjusting them. Otherwise, why write them down if they are fixed and already pre-determined before they do the actual exercise?

There is definitely an exercise in Meso 2 where Denise says she is going to go heavier for her second set.

So, that is how I am going to do it.....use the 1RM % for the first set of the exercise, then increase the weight if I feel the need, and make a note of the new weight.

Adam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.