Does anyone else love the smell of paper?

janie1234

Cathlete
I love the smell of paper. Paper from used book stores, and the library, . . .stationary stores. I even love the sound of my pen scratching the surface of the paper when I'm writing in my journal. It just seems like with the technology of computers and Kindle anything paper is almost like a lost art. I would never trade my library of books for a Kindle, . . . .and I love writing my journal entries in a leather bound book. Does anyone else feel this way? It seems like we are always in a hurry to get somewhere and do something that it seems like the act or art of "doing" is lost. Can you remember when was the last time you wrote something that took up more space than a sticky note? What do you miss the most that has been replaced by technology? I just got to thinking when my 8 year old said "Mom, . . . handwriting doesn't have to be neat, . . .that is what computers are for."

I do love the smell of the paper they use in books. Any kind of books. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I love just about everything about books except the smell of paper, but it it's the words and the ideas I especially love. Words delight me. There's no other way to expess it. (Paper and ink make me sneeze.)

When I open a book, paper or electronic, magic happens. It doesn't matter what I'm reading them from because I'm not there anymore. I'm in a skiff exploring sea islands off the coast of South Carolina, or discovering a man with wings living in the back garage, or, most recently, sadly observing an entire town going mad during a medieval witch hunt and seeing modern parallels in the madness.

For me, though, the pleasure is mostly in my head, although I do love the heft of a good book held tightly to my chest, just before I force myself to set it aside and move on to the next one.

Shari

OH YEAH! LOVE that smell. We have a used book fundraising sale every summer for Make-A-Wish Foundation and we store TONS of books in my garage for about 2 months leading up to the sale and I LOVE walking in there, just sniffing away! ;)

Gayle

I love just about everything about books except the smell of paper, but it it's the words and the ideas I especially love. Words delight me. There's no other way to expess it. (Paper and ink make me sneeze.)

When I open a book, paper or electronic, magic happens. It doesn't matter what I'm reading them from because I'm not there anymore. I'm in a skiff exploring sea islands off the coast of South Carolina, or discovering a man with wings living in the back garage, or, most recently, sadly observing an entire town going mad during a medieval witch hunt and seeing modern parallels in the madness.

For me, though, the pleasure is mostly in my head, although I do love the heft of a good book held tightly to my chest, just before I force myself to set it aside and move on to the next one.

Shari

I could never have said it better myself! I love what reading brings into my imagination! I always find it difficult to move to the next book! It's like leaving a beloved friend behind when I'm done. I need a couple of days to recover before I can pick up a new one!

I have books and a Kindle because not all books are available for the Kindle - yet! I need the space, so the sooner, the better for me! We have sooo many books!!

Tricia

I could never have said it better myself! I love what reading brings into my imagination! I always find it difficult to move to the next book! It's like leaving a beloved friend behind when I'm done. I need a couple of days to recover before I can pick up a new one!

I have books and a Kindle because not all books are available for the Kindle - yet! I need the space, so the sooner, the better for me! We have sooo many books!!

Tricia

Me too! I'm having that trouble right now. Finding another book to move onto to. I loved what Stephen King said about the book "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." --"I closed the book with that regret readers feel only afer experiencing the best stories: It's over, you think, and I won't read another one this good for a long time, . . . ." --by the way I did not like that book.
Thing is the thought of buying a Kindle although convienent just seems blashpemous. I need to feel the paper in my hands. Besides don't you worry about breaking your Kindle and losing all your books? I don't have a whole lot of faith in electronic devices.

Me too! I'm having that trouble right now. Finding another book to move onto to. I loved what Stephen King said about the book "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." --"I closed the book with that regret readers feel only afer experiencing the best stories: It's over, you think, and I won't read another one this good for a long time, . . . ." --by the way I did not like that book.
Thing is the thought of buying a Kindle although convienent just seems blashpemous. I need to feel the paper in my hands. Besides don't you worry about breaking your Kindle and losing all your books? I don't have a whole lot of faith in electronic devices.

Actually, all of our (yes, both my DH and I have one) books are stored in the servers with Amazon, therefore, if we lose or break our Kindles we just upload them again to a new one! No further charge as they are already paid for. Beats what happens when your books get water damage or burned or lost, etc., but I still like to read a real book! The Kindle is better for bedtime reading as I wear bifocals and it's uncomfortable to read in bed like that, plus some of my books are heavy and difficult to hang on to!

Really, when my DH first got his, I was skeptical and poo-pooing him for getting one! The more I saw him use it, the more I started liking it! You can also download free book samples to see what a book is like before you buy it. It's a pretty decent sample too! I like that! Checking out a book at the bookstore is time consuming as you have to sit there and can't read it at your leisure!

Tricia

I guess I've never noticed the smell of paper but I like how warm paper is coming out a copy machine.

I used to work in Sales for a printing company. The best thing was that we got samples of all the books that were printed (for quality control, etc) and would keep them until the book was on the shelves in stores. I was surrounded by brand new books every day.

Then, when there would be something that necessitated our going to the manufacturing plant, that was paper mecca!

I love books, everything about them. As part of my training (to understand all of the book parts), I got to make two books by hand in one of the plants, taught by a true craftsman who had been repairing old books and creating new ones his entire life.

In case anyone wondered, I was also an English Lit major ; )

I guess I've never noticed the smell of paper but I like how warm paper is coming out a copy machine.

Just remembered! Anyone remember mimeograph machines? I used to love being picked to go make the copies! <sniff, ahhhh> what a wonderful smell! Might be what's wrong with me today! :eek:

Tricia

The Kindle is better for bedtime reading as I wear bifocals and it's uncomfortable to read in bed like that, plus some of my books are heavy and difficult to hang on to!

Tricia

That's why I bought a Kindle too! I wanted to read in bed without glasses! I still love my books, and I still read most of them on paper, but I do love the occasional freedom from my much-despised glasses. I just hate that . . . distance I guess you'd call it, that glasses create.

Shari

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.