Does anybody else's calves ACHE during/after runs?

crazystepr

Cathlete
Mine are killing me! Every time I run my calves ache so badly that I have to stop several times and stretch them out. Once the run is done, they're so sore. I could barely walk last night after my run. It was a long run, (7 miles--well, that's long for me!) but not hilly at all. Maybe it's the faster speeds I've been running at that's doing it?

They're still sore today. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I just went out and bought a great pair of running sneakers today. (I've been running in my aerobics sneakers...I know--bad, bad!) Maybe that will make a difference. Do I need certain insoles for my shoes? Does this happen to anyone else or am I just particularly weird...?(well, we know I am, but I'm talkin' about my calves being weird here, people...;))

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

You might be landing on your toes, such as when you sprint. You need to make sure to land on your heel and roll through your foot. It sounds like you might be on your toes the whole time. Just a thought. It still might be your shoes too. Sometimes it takes a while to find a pair that works.

Don't feel bad. You're not the only one who experiences this problem. I too am sore from running. I did a 5 mile run this morning and was pretty sore to begin with, from jogging the other day. Running this morning only made it worse. And i honestly don't know why or what i'm doing wrong.

I read a post that was put up last week about shin splints. Someone said to try wrapping your calves before you run and it would help relieve some of the pressure on the calves. It works, to an extent. But running on concrete hurts any way you look at it.

So no, you're not weird. Unless that would make me a weirdo as well. ;) :+

How long have you been running? I experienced calf pain initially (first 3 months or so) but after the break-in period I have never had it since. But, when I do high-low I always have terrible calf pain but it is because I do high-low on my toes even when I'm trying not to. Like a previous poster mentioned, running on toes = calf pain.

Maybe you are running on your toes because you have poorly fitted shoes for running. Your new shoes may end up correcting the problem. Truthfully, with proper form you should not have calf pain.

>How long have you been running? I experienced calf pain
>initially (first 3 months or so) but after the break-in period
>I have never had it since. But, when I do high-low I always
>have terrible calf pain but it is because I do high-low on my
>toes even when I'm trying not to. Like a previous poster
>mentioned, running on toes = calf pain.
>
>Maybe you are running on your toes because you have poorly
>fitted shoes for running. Your new shoes may end up correcting
>the problem. Truthfully, with proper form you should not have
>calf pain.
>
>

Awesome advice. Thanks! I've only been running again for the past 4 months or so. Much more in the past month (about 3 or 4 times a week). I am excited to see what happens with my new shoes and I'll keep the form pointers (stay off your damn toes, Allison!!) in my head when I'm running. Thanks!!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Allison - Do you have a foam roller? When mine (calves) start acting up, I lay on my stomach and have my DH roll the roller up and down my calf. It really loosens up the muscle. You do not have to have a second person obviously, you can put it under your calf and roll yourself back and forth. My calves get really tight, so it has been a lifesaver.

Allison,

Running in your aerobics shoes can most definitely cause problems! Since you are stretching well and not running hills, I strongly suspect this could be the culprit. I know you said you just purchased running shoes, but I would recommend going to a running speciality store (like Fleet Feet) and getting a shoe customized to your needs. They'll take a look at your gait, and make recommendations based upon what they see. You may not be put in the cheapest or best-looking pair of running shoes, but the important thing is to address the issues you're having and run injury-free. If that shoe doesn't work for you, you can take them back, and the staff will work with you to make sure your feet are happy. That kind of service is well worth it.

The other possibilities coming to mind are footstrike, as others mentioned, and terrain (i.e. perhaps you recently switched from treadmill to outdoor running).

BTW, here is a Runner's World article on overall form that might be helpful:

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=black]THE PERFECT FORM
Running better, from head to toe.
By Jane Unger Hahn

PUBLISHED 06/16/2005

Head Tilt - How you hold your head is key to overall posture, which determines how efficiently you run. Let your gaze guide you. Look ahead naturally, not down at your feet, and scan the horizon. This will straighten your neck and back, and bring them into alignment. Don't allow your chin to jut out.

Shoulders - Shoulders play an important role in keeping your upper body relaxed while you run, which is critical to maintaining efficient running posture. For optimum performance, your shoulders should be low and loose, not high and tight. As you tire on a run, don't let them creep up toward your ears. If they do, shake them out to release the tension. Your shoulders also need to remain level and shouldn't dip from side to side with each stride.

Arms - Even though running is primarily a lower-body activity, your arms aren't just along for the ride. Your hands control the tension in your upper body, while your arm swing works in conjunction with your leg stride to drive you forward. Keep your hands in an unclenched fist, with your fingers lightly touching your palms. Imagine yourself trying to carry a potato chip in each hand without crushing it. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body,between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you feel your fists clenching or your forearms tensing, drop your arms to your sides and shake them out for a few seconds to release the tension.

Torso - The position of your torso while running is affected by the position of your head and shoulders. With your head up and looking ahead and your shoulders low and loose, your torso and back naturally straighten to allow you to run in an efficient, upright position that promotes optimal lung capacity and stride length. Many track coaches describe this ideal torso position as "running tall" and it means you need to stretch yourself up to your full height with your back comfortably straight. If you start to slouch during a run take a deep breath and feel yourself naturally straighten. As you exhale simply maintain that upright position.

Hips - Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

Legs/Stride - While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.

Ankles/Feet - To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.[/font]

Oh, one final thought...make sure you wear your running shoes for running only.

HTH,

[font face="bradley hand itc" size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_SnowBunny_tns.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

I have a terrible time with my calves when running. I ended up actually pulling my calf muscles due to running on my toes too much. A friend of mine has had the exact same problem.

A great book I've referred to to fix my gait is Chi Running. He talks a lot about how to place your foot and it made a world of difference for me.

I've also been a lot more careful this year in running so that once I start to feel my muscles tighten up, I stop running until I'm healed. I learned last year if I try to push through the soreness - I end up much worse than I was.

Allison - Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. I know you said you already do, but it might be a good idea to throw some more in. I can't tell you much about the best way to run, but I can tell you something about calf injuries. They ain't fun. x(

I always thought I stretched enough, but this winter, out of the blue, I tore my calf. A few days before it tore, it was feeling tight. I kept working, figuring it was a minor cramp that I could just work through. The next time I did cardio (step), there it went. Part of my recuperation was serious stretching - holding a calf stretch 2 minutes at a time, 8 times a day. I don't do it that much now, but I do stretch a couple times a day, no matter what.

Just be careful!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.