Doctor in trouble for calling patient obese

~He's in the chair and she says, is that your beautiful wife out there? He said yes and the dentist said, do you love her enough to stop killing yourself with food? You're too fat. Of course it stung. He didn't sue though. He started working out, eating healthy and is now a fantastic 160 muscular lbs. He credits the frank "rudeness" of the dentist for startling him into change.~

I don't think the dentist was out of line. The dentist presented a fact not a personal opinion of how attractive he is or is not to someone else.

Happy your brother is fit and healthy!

Candi, I'm inclined to agree with you. Ya know, these kinds of things are very subjective. I think it's always best to be kind in tenor, but, unfortunately, we are often in the position of messenger of bad news. Sometimes, no matter how compassionate you are, people get upset. A person's level of anxiety often dictates how the perceive your tone.

Michele

You don't have to tip toe around facts. Candi, you come across as someone who could take a comment like this doctor's. You are one of those exceptions. In general, women respond to compassion. It is a fine balance to present facts and promote change.

Besides, it was his opinon that obesity is so unattractive she would never find companionship. The staistics in this country don't support that.

I'm going to throw a little monkey wrench into the mix. I've seen this doc in about 3 or 4 interviews. I did not hear him say anything like what was reported in the article. Of course, I don't use MSNBC as a source for info and don't really know what they reported. I've seen this guy, I've heard what he has to say, and I think he may be innocent of these remarks.

Michele

I grew up in a rough area of Newark, NJ and I have worked in a male dominated industry for 25 years. Maybe that's why I'm an exception!

I do agree tone and body language is important :)

I haven't has the opportunity to hear him, but he comes across as one of those doctors that wants to help people change. We will never know the tone and circumstances surrounding the interaction between this woman and the doctor. I know I've said some things that could be taken out of context. Health promotion is tough... damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The exception actually make health promotion easier. :) Truthfully, I am pretty blunt with my teaching. I was asked to give a presentation of contraception and STDs at the community college. One of the counsleors sat in on the presentation and said afterwards, "wow, you say it like it is". :)

I've never made predictions about a client's future lovelife based on a physical assessment though. ;-)

"Health promotion is tough... damned if you do and damned if you don't."

Autumn,
Right you are--but what a great debate we're having!!

Michele

P.S. Looking back at your previous post--my old friend from nursing school lives about 45 minutes away and we get together about 2 or 3 times a month during the school when her kids are at school. We have such a blast. I can't rtell you how a treasure that friendship.

This has been a great debate and fun! I am one of those people who can see both sides... some may think I am wishy washy... but I really do see both sides. Now, what I really think would only be revealed at one of those lunches with my friends. :)

My friendship with the above mentioned friend is a treasure too. We have a blast anywhere we go. They separated us into two clinial groups in nursing school. ;) We were called the "bopsy twins"... oh you should see our HUGE hair. Maybe I'll dig a pic up and add it to my picturetrail.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.