Do you think I can do both??

naughtoj

Cathlete
Ok, y'all know about my career woes. Here's what I am thinking:

I met with an advisor on that Exercise and Wellness BS at my local university. That degree sounds SO SO SO FUN!!!!!!!! However........for some reason I don't want to give up on nursing entirely. I still feel the need to pursue that ADN. Maybe I don't want to waste what I have done so far, I dunno. Anyway....after talking with the advisor it was real apparent that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the subject matter of the EXW degree, but I have my doubts on what jobs I could get with a degree like that. I am almost positive to do anything well paying you would have to pursue a Masters....I thought about teaching fitness classes to college students or something along those lines. With a degree in EXW you cannot become an Exercise Physiologist, but more like a Corporate Fitness Educator, or something like that.

The advisor also said that she gets many nurses who come to her saying they are unhappy with their career because they want to make a difference in people's lives BEFORE their health goes to pot, educate them on a healthy lifestyle BEFORE all that happens. That sounds like what I want to do. Thing is, they ARE already nurses and can work both fields if they really want. Working PT nursing and then dabbling in EXW sounds good to me, too....

So..........do you think there is any value in pursuing both degrees? I am kicking myself now that I didn't just go on the waiting list for the BSN at the university. Once done with nursing school, I still will only have two Associates degrees and will still have to pursue a Bachelors in something, either RN-BSN or EXW. EXW sounds super fun. Would you do both.........pursuing the Bachelors simply because it sounds "fun" and stay in NS for the learning experience and practicality of it? This way, in the end, I would have a Associates in Nursing and a Bachelors in Exercise and Wellness. It will take 2+ years.

Your thoughts?? Anyone have experience with an Exercise and Wellness Bachelors degree??? :)

As always, Thanks!

Janice, I have been an instructor in the fitness industry for almost 20 years. I was a corporate systems analyst also, but in August I QUIT and am going to nursing school. (will be a 60% pay cut but that's OK) My goal is to work in cardiac rehad or diabetes counseling & education and be able to use my passion for exercise and wellness. So I know where you're coming from. The problem with just getting an exercise phys. (or similar) degree is that these people are generally very underpaid and often underemployed. What I've seen in the fitness industry is that people with degrees are treated exactly the same as people without degrees. Even in corporate wellness. I was the Wellness Committee chair for my company the last year I was there, was a member for over 10 years before that. Really look into how feasible it is to find employment with that degree in your area and how you will be paid. If it's something you can't live with, you need to know that now. Nursing pays a living wage - and the pay is going up b/c of the shortage as I am certain you know.

Much as I love being a personal trainer, if I were walking in your shoes, I'd go for the nursing degree first, then get a personal trainer certification of some sort. I don't know that you'd need a second degree. As a nurse your skills are very much needed and you can pretty much write your own ticket and be WELL paid, which is seldom the case for people in the fitness industry. I'm VERY lucky to have the position I now enjoy, but it doesn't pay very well. Go for nursing!
Just Do It! :)

Thanks for replying Meredith...........I totally see what you are saying.

I did pay my bill for next semesters nursing classes, so for now, I am OK. Maybe fitness/nutrition is going to have to be more of a hobby than a profession. I would love to get into education though...:)

Thank again!

You know, I don't really have enough time to apply to the university AND get accepted by January. I think for now I will be happy with the nursing classes and FOR SURE take aerobics this semester and possibly some other fun fitness class. I have my Dad's health to worry about this semester too so I hate to use up all my time this next year more so than Nursing School already eats up.

I am making friends with my classmates now, I feel like I am belonging somewhere, which is neat for me. Maybe I'll just ride with it...LOL....:)

Thanks all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.