Do you have an Assisted Dip/Chin Machine?

stepitup

Cathlete
I am curious to know how many of you own an assisted dip/chin machine. I did a little searching and they are pretty expensive, not too mention they take up alot of space. I saw this one on Amazon that you can use with your own weights that's $450. Does anyone have this one or one in this price range and can offer some feedback?

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-8170-W-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1208708154&sr=1-1

Chris - any thoughts on how this machine might perform?

Thanks!
Trish

I've never used this model, but it should be okay. A commercial unit cost around $3000, so $449 is pretty cheap. The main difference of course is that a commercial unit comes with a weight stack and the model you're looking at is a plate load machine. But the physics is the same and this machine should work nicely for you. One of the reasons we have included this machine in STS is we hope to encourage the development of cheaper versions of this piece of equipment since it makes it possible for anyone to do a pull up. If you have the space and can afford an Assisted Dip and Chin machine I think you will be extremely happy with your purchase.

Thanks for your reply and input Chris! I think I might try out this machine or something comparable. I can't justify paying 3k for ANY machine right nowx(

Trish

I was looking at that one myself and wondering if it would be worth it. Amazon has it a little bit cheaper and with free shipping. If you go on Powertec's website they have a little more info about it.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/product.php?id=4

I'm wondering what the advantage of the assisted squat is with this piece of equipment. I'm not sure I understand what the machine does for you for that exercise. Do you think you would still need a squad rack if you had it? I haven't bought a squat rack yet but am considering one for STS. It would be great if you could use this machine for pull ups, dips, and squats. That just might make it worth it.

I'd be interested in in any opinions on this piece of equipment as well.

Thanks,

Tammy

I went back and looked at the little video clip they have on their website. It looks like that you would be lifting the weights when pushing up so maybe it is assisted because you don't have to do put the weight on your back. I guess I could just contact Powertec and see what they have to say about it, but I'm wondering what this "educated crowd" thinks of it.

Tammy

It doesn't assist with the squats on the way down because you are pushing down weight. But it looks like it might assist on the way up since the weight wants to follow gravity. But it's doesn't look like it would assist that much due to the angle.

I think you can use this machine to do those types of squats in the video but it looks limited in application. You'd want to be able to do plies and lunges too. Maybe you can somehow. If you contact Powertec please let us know what they say.

Deana,

This one looks sturdier than the one I was looking at and it's only $100 more. I've been searching for one in this price range and never came across this one. Good find!

Trish

Trish,

Glad you like it! I've been searching too. I think this looks like a value for its price range.

Deana,

I looked at this machine from Gold's Gym yesterday at my local Sports Authority store http://www.goldsgear.com/cgi-bin/fr...pid=HEEQ&pm=&sid=GGBE1776&whs=ALL&os=PRICEGRA
My bench/squat rack is made by Gold's and I'm really happy with the quality they offer.

I tested out this machine @ 80lb, 55lb and 30lb assistance. It was very comfortable and the resistance level was good...80 was too easy, but 55 was ok. 30 lb was tough! I probably should have tried 40 lbs instead. I think I might invest in this one because it's relatively inexpensive ($199 in the store) and I think it will get the job done for dips, pull ups and knee raises. It is being discontinued, so it might be hard to find one for sale online if you're interested.

Trish

I use to have that same Golds Gym model, it’s a great machine, very sturdy but I’m short (5 feet) so the grip was way too wide for me. It seems most equipment is built for men. I had to do the majority of my pull ups side ways on it in order to get a closer grip. Then because it slants upward, I did half turned one way, then turned to the other side to finish the second half. Except for a wide grip pull up of course. Just a heads up for any one looking that doesn’t have the height and longer arms.

i have this machine and i, too have to sometimes do my pull ups/chin ups side ways!! no way can i use the widest setting!!!! (i'm 5'3")

i've been very pleased with it... i need to put it to use more often than i do!!! but the times i use it... i love it!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

I have an assisted chin/dip machine in my home gym. I bought it years back when a local fitness equipment retailer was having a clearance sale on it. My thoughts on this machine are as follows: First, it is huge and heavy. It doesn't belong in the living area of anyone's home; it needs to be in a dedicated workout room or basement. Besides having a large footprint, it is very tall, and requires ample ceiling height. Second, while an assisted chin/dip is a nice machine to own, in my opinion, if you don't already have a multi-station home gym, I would invest in one of those first, because they are much more versatile and allow for many more exercises. I have a Hoist single-stack home gym, which I bought years back, and still love.

As was mentioned above, you have to make sure that the assisted chin/dip you buy is going to fit your size. I'm petite, and mine is made for an average man's size, so mine isn't a perfect fit. I would have liked to have bought a Gravitron or Life Fitness model, but didn't want to pay for such an expensive machine.

On the positive side, I think that the exercises you can do on the assisted chin/dip machine are among the most challenging for upper body, and work multiple muscle groups simultaneously.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.