Do you blog?

lrhollid

Cathlete
I'm curious as to how many people here blog. I contacted an old friend recently, and he sent me a link to his blog. I've run into them before, but his was really neat-- lots of music, his artwork, not too much personal information. I'm thinking about trying one myself..... For those of you who do blog, do you tend to get a lot of weird replies/ other problems?

L

You must be talking about myspace.com? My DD had an account with them and we just recently deleted. There is waaaayyyy too much information being passed along with the teens, and the profiles of some of the "friends" send chills up and down my spine. Now for myself, I had started with my own profile before I realized DD's was so bad and I had about a dozen weirdo's who wanted to be my friend the next day. I thought, well this is not for me and canceled my account. Too many freaks out there. JMHO

Charlotte~~

I looked at myspace (that's where my friend has his account) for people in my area after posting this last night-- yikes! Um, I know quite a few of these people and let's just say I've been enlightened!!!! I thought blogs might be an alternative to email for keeping in touch with people that have moved, etc. Mass emails get SPAM'd. Is there a way to keep posts private to a few friends, so that others can't read them?

L

A blog is like an on-line journal, right (please put up with my non-tech-saviness!)? Why is it called a "blog"( a b.....? log, but what's the "b" stand for?)

I think too many people share too much of their personal lives with complete strangers already (like on "reality" TV shows and daytime talk shows). I'd only be interested in bloggging--maybe-- if it were password protected so only friends/family could access it.

I do blog, it is like an online journey,,, I do not pay attention to the weirdos,,, I just delete them, not interested or looking, I just discover one called TagWorld, just for runners, wohooo!!

>I do blog, it is like an online journey,,, I do not pay
>attention to the weirdos,,, I just delete them, not interested
>or looking

Same here, Norma.:)

I've had online journals, way back since '95, long before blogs(short for "web log") became popular. I did have to learn HTML and some java scripting. Nowadays, it's like e-mail. You type your entry and submit it. Simple as that. I've had pieces published because of these pre-blogging online journals, something I never expected.

I'd say if you choose to do one, pick out the host carefully. There is an entire universe out there devoted to FREE blogs, and some of them don't even put ads on your pages. I'd pick a "community" that echoes bits and pieces of myself and where members share some of my interests.

I've had mostly good feedback from the beginning. As Norma said, just ignore those weirdos and psychos. There are a lot of people out there who have nothing better to do with their time and who feel so badly about themselves (but don't even know it) that they feel compelled to stir up trouble with total strangers. The best and I think the only thing to do is ignore these people since you give them power by responding to them and giving them the attention they so desperately need.

You don't have to share any information you don't want to with anybody. You are not obligated to lay down your life to strangers or make friends with anyone just because you have a blog. What I put out there isn't what is ALL in here, in my mind, my gut, my household, my life. What is out there is only a small part of what I am. How personal it seems depends on who's doing the reading and interpretation. If I get messages that I feel are quite invasive and presumptuous, maybe not entirely nasty, I just delete it. You know how Cathe says you control the weight and you don't let the weight jerk you around? I apply that thought in blogging. It's my blog, it's my entries, I'm in control. I'm not going to let anybody rile me up because this somebody misinterpreted what I said. It's like being on a public forum. If you don't like the thread or post, don't respond.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. I hope this helps you in making a decision.

Pinky

I have a blog on blogger.com. I get a lot of page hits but few comments from people I don't know. It is mostly for my friends to keep up with what's going on in my life, as theirs are for me. I think if you enjoy writing, it's a great way to exercise that in an interesting forum. I skim through other blogs but don't pay much attention unless I know the person.

Charlotte, I agree about some of the myspace accounts. My SO's son has one and he was showing us pictures of some girl he was talking to. She was nearly naked. I kept thinking, gee, I wonder if her parents know about this??? Very sad. I don't think they realize how permanent stuff on the Internet can be.

Cheers,
Marie

IMHO blogging is another facet part self absorbed generation. It's one thing to write in a diary or journal for oneself but it's another thing to think what's going on in your life is so important it's worth advertizing. To me it's another facet of the "REALITY" kick so prevalent these days.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.