Do egg whites keep?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I have to buy a ton of eggs tomorrow to make lemon curd for a cake. I need 24 yolks. Yep, its a heart attack cake. Taking it to the in-laws for Easter. However, I only need 4 whites for the frosting. That leaves me with 20 egg whites. I don't want to toss them. Can I keep them overnight? I can eat some of them for breakfast the next day. Or can I freeze them? I know eggs are supposed to be good for dogs, too. Spyro liked them, but they don't sit well w/ Vlad. They make his backside explode:confused::confused: So I can't feed them to the dog. I hate to waste perfectly good food. If it wasn't Easter time, I'd make some meringue cookies, but there will already be enough candy/sugar in the house. What to do with them?

Thanks,
Nan

I have to buy a ton of eggs tomorrow to make lemon curd for a cake. I need 24 yolks. Yep, its a heart attack cake. Taking it to the in-laws for Easter. However, I only need 4 whites for the frosting. That leaves me with 20 egg whites. I don't want to toss them. Can I keep them overnight? I can eat some of them for breakfast the next day. Or can I freeze them? I know eggs are supposed to be good for dogs, too. Spyro liked them, but they don't sit well w/ Vlad. They make his backside explode:confused::confused: So I can't feed them to the dog. I hate to waste perfectly good food. If it wasn't Easter time, I'd make some meringue cookies, but there will already be enough candy/sugar in the house. What to do with them?

Thanks,
Nan

Hmm sounds good. Can I have some? I know eggs have experation dates so I'm sure that they would go bad but I've seen scrambled eggs in the freezer section. Maybe you can make some scrambled egg whites and freeze them.

Ice cube trays

If you put one or two egg whites in each "cube" of an ice cube tray and freeze them, they'll keep forever. When you want one, just pop them out. What I do is pop them all out into a bag and just grab a few when I want to add them to pancake batter, corn bread, etc. Of course you need to plan ahead because they do need to thaw. It does *not* work to use the microwave! Trust me. :p

nan, im pretty sure theres a recipe in the recipe forum for an eggwhite bake.
and yes, they do keep for a couple days in a container in the fridge.

If you put one or two egg whites in each "cube" of an ice cube tray and freeze them, they'll keep forever. When you want one, just pop them out. What I do is pop them all out into a bag and just grab a few when I want to add them to pancake batter, corn bread, etc. Of course you need to plan ahead because they do need to thaw. It does *not* work to use the microwave! Trust me. :p

Wow, I never knew that! What a great idea! Thanks!

Jo

The whites will last longer than a day in the fridge. I hate the taste of egg whites in those little cartons, so I buy a case of eggs and separate the whites into a large tupperware container. I keep them for a few weeks in the fridge and use them for egg white omelets. Whole Food store sells the real egg whites like that and they are good for a month.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.