DIsney WOrld gluten free?

luvmylbb

Cathlete
I am going to DW in 2 weeks and I have no idea on how to do this gluten free. Any suggestions? We are staying at the Polynesian so I will have a fridge in my room, but what else should I do?THANk you :)

Most of the restaurants on Disney Properties have healthy choices (including the parks). Salads, fruit, grilled chicken etc. Although food is pricy, you can choose wisely. Keeping healthy snacks in the room is a great idea. We always hit the grocery store as soon as we arrive. I usually get breakfast foods to eat in the morning instead of being tempted by pancakes and such at a restaurant. Oatmeal,(if you have a microwave or coffee pot in the room to heat water) cereal etc. I have taken the WW snack packs in my back pack to munch on instead of buying icecream and such.

Hope these ideas help.

Hi,

See info below. It was sent to me by one of my patients. Hope it helps.
Michele

GFCF Dining at DisneyWorld

The most important point in gfcf dining at Disney is calling the restaurant before arriving at the restaurant.

If you make reservations through 1 407 wdw-dine, tell them you have special dietary needs, they will take the information, and give you a telephone number to call about seven days in advance to speak with the chef of that restaurant.

Each world has an executive chef you can contact to ask about special dietary foods and where they are available. They can help you with the counter service and foods to go eateries.

The Cone shop sells gfcf ice cream (kept separate in the back), just ask for the manager. There is a McDonald type cart in Frontierland that sells dedicated gfcf French fries. Tony’s Town Square serves gluten free pasta. Cosmic Rays has a dedicated fryer in the back for gluten free fries.

At Epcot, Liberty Inn in the Americas have gfcf products such as chicken, rolls (cybros), and rice dream or tofutti. They also have a gf pizza.
Call Chef Sharon Schifano @ 407-560-7483 or 407 560-5773 and they can help you make a food plan at Epcot.
At Animal Kingdom, we ordered a chicken with two sides of corn on the cob instead of the baked beans (not gfcf) at Flame Tree BBQ.
Chef Doug, Executive Chef, Animal Kingdom, 407-938-2203 can help you here.

At MGM, all French fries are safe (as of 1/28/04) except for ABC Commissary where there would be cross contamination issues.
The Executive Chef can be reached at 407-560-1347.

The turkey legs are gfcf and quite large. They are available at all the parks.

Chef Gary at Trails Inn Buffet makes a great fried chicken (from rice flour and cooks the food himself).

Chef Mickey’s did excellent running through the buffet and making my son additional gfcf foods he wanted to eat. Chef Mark

Also, Hollywood and Vine made some great food for Alex to eat as well as “ice cream”

Mama Melrose (MGM) and Tony’s Town Square (Magic Kingdom) have corn or rice pasta as well as gf pizza.

What may be some issues to deal with however is the soy because of the information below. I would definitely speak with the chefs….
-- Fries are from J.R. Simplot Co. Boise, Idaho 1-800-572-7783 Potatoes, partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening (soybean oil and/or canola oil), maltodextrin, salt, dextrose, disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate and tetrasodium pyrophosphate (to maintain natural color).
--Oil for frying - Bunge - Partially hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to help protect flavor, dimethylpolysiloxane, an antifoaming agent, added. (Parve)

In addition, at each eatery a book is available that contains all the ingredients of the foods they sell. If you are not sure, they are very willing to have you look at the Ingredients Listing Book. I used it once and it was right at the cash register. Some chefs even WANT you to verify the ingredients as okay.

Always try to get the manager or the chef, as they are more aware of cross contamination issues.

Another point here is to understand that gfcf foods may take an additional 15-20
minutes. The chefs and managers want to make sure there are no cross contamination issues and they usually prepare the food themselves.

We rented a refrigerator in our room for our length of stay. They have microwaves at the food centers as well.

We purchased a popcorn container during one of our stays and plan on bringing it with us next time. Since the popcorn is not gfcf (orvilles) we pop gfcf popcorn in the microwave at the resort and put it in the Disney popcorn container.

We took a suitcase (hard) full of food with us. Bread, Nut butters, chips, crackers, etc. We also rented a town car (about 80.00 roundtrip from airport to resort) that gives you a free 30-minute grocery store stop. We picked the extra water, soda (for hubby) etc.

I know Disney suggests for peanut allergy sufferers to wash (with towelettes) after touching the handlebars on rides because it is unknown whether the person before you had peanut butter. Just a thought.

GFCF dinign DisneyLAND

There's a page at www.tacanow.com that gives details about the gfcf
food at different restaurants at Disneyland. And a very reassuring
article about this appeared in an issue of Living Without. Both
sources give the phone number for the chief chef, Chris Justesen -
(714 781 4650). I'm taking my gfcf kid in June and I'm really
enjoying not dreading it!
P.

--- In [email protected], "Laura Wiley"
<mommys_marketplace@c...> wrote:
> This is from the Kinnikinnicks web site:
> > Kinnikinnick in the Magic Kingdom
> Kinnikinnick Products are now available at Disney's Grand
California Hotel.
> The hotel is now stocking our baked products and you'll be able to
special
> order. Talk to your server or the dining room manager.
>
>
>
>

This might help as well.

Dietary Request Information

The Food and Beverage team at Epcot is committed to making your stay as magical as possible, which of course means we attempt to offer a wide range of food products for all of our guests. In our Table Service Restaurants we have a staff of trained Chefs who can meet your needs by adapting current menu items or developing items to fit your needs. In our Quick Service areas we try to offer a wide range of items, and also are able to provide special items or meals with advance notice. Due to the authenticity of our Food and Beverage locations in the World Showcase area, many items and cooking techniques become impossible to alter, and additionally due to the large number of cultural, authentic ingredients and suppliers used, understand that while we make every effort to prepare an individual meal, we can not see all of our ingredients through production, packing, etc. Due to these factors we ask that in cases where the slightest contamination can have severe results, please use extreme caution in meal planning and feel free to contact us for dining suggestions.
Listed below is some helpful information when planning your time with us. Attached are some product specifications, which may assist you as well. Please feel free to contact Chef Sharon Schifano @ 407-560-7483, by E-mail at [email protected] if you need any additional information.

Quick Service Restaurants
Liberty Inn (located at The American Adventure in World Showcase) serves all beef burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches and all beef hot dogs. The French fries in this location are cooked in dedicated fryers. Gluten-free pizzas are an option- when available as well as gluten-free or dairy- free ice cream. Gluten-free bread and/or rolls are available as well. Please ask to see a Manager upon arrival and they will be happy to assist you. Please allow 15-20 minutes for any special requests to ensure that safety measures are performed.

Table Service Restaurants
Chefs are stationed at all table service restaurants. If making a priority seating, please notify the reservation agent of any dietary requests and ask them to note it. Upon arrival to the restaurant, please notify your server of your need and ask to speak to the Chef on duty, who will visit your table and insure that your needs are met. Special items are available with advance notice, and arrangements can be made through Sharon Schifano at the contact number and address listed above. Gluten-free breads are available at most restaurants as well as special desserts.
We look forward to you having a safe and magical visit with us and to cooking for you.
Please feel free to contact Sharon Schifano at 407-560-7483 to discuss any needs you may have!

OMG!!!! You are sooo awesome! I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful information!!!! You have truly saved me!!! I have been sick about his and you really made my year!!! THAnk you again!!!!
Take care,
SHeri :)

I have absolutely nothing valuable to add, but wanted to tell you to have yourself a wonderful trip!!! We've been to disney world twice, and if it were up to me, we would go every year.
Have fun!

This isn't going to help with Disney World, but I was curious if you have the book by Lisa Lewis "Special Diets for Special Kids"? I had to buy this back when my son was on gluten free/casein free diet and it was quite helpful. Now I heard there is also a part 2 book. Both can be ordered thru amazon.com if you are interested. Good luck and have a fantastic time at Disney.
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.