DirtDiva - Coconut Oil question for ya

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
Hey there, I started dry brushing last week after you mentioned it in your response to my loose skin post. You said that you use coconut oil after your shower. They were out of stock on it at my grocery store last week, except for some solid looking stuff - so I grabbed a bottle of Sesame oil instead.

Is the stuff you use solid, or is there a liquid alternative? And do you ONLY use the oil, or do you follow it with a regular moisturizing lotion?

Love the dry brushing, it feels so nice... but made me late for work 3 days last week.

Hi! I know you weren't asking me, but when i went through all that dry skin stuff I do believe coconut oil is solid.

Coconut oil is solid below about 70 degrees, and liquid above that (like body temp). In stores or at home, it will be solid during the colder months, and liquid in the summer. You can melt solid coconut oil by putting the jar in a bowl of hot water, by putting the covered jar in a dehydrator set at around 100 degrees, or by scooping out some of the solid stuff and rubbing it between your hands (it will also soften as you rub it on your body).

Cool. It's probably easier to work with in a solid state anyway. I'll pick some up the next time I go shopping.

Definitley try the solid stuff. There is no way that in winter it won't be solid. You can soften it in the microwave in about 15-30 seconds. I like the spectrum brand. Don't buy the 'hydrogenated', its weird. Its great to cook with and bake with too, not just to wear on your body. It only takes a small amount to put on your skin. You probably don't want to get it on your clothes. I use it in my hair and on my skin when I'm dry.

I too have used coconut oil in my hair. It is like a hot oil treatment for your hair only so much better. It made my hair so soft.

I've also used it on my lovely exercise callused feet. Softens those puppies up nicely!

Hey there, I started dry brushing last week after you mentioned it in your response to my loose skin post. You said that you use coconut oil after your shower. They were out of stock on it at my grocery store last week, except for some solid looking stuff - so I grabbed a bottle of Sesame oil instead.

Is the stuff you use solid, or is there a liquid alternative? And do you ONLY use the oil, or do you follow it with a regular moisturizing lotion?

Love the dry brushing, it feels so nice... but made me late for work 3 days last week.

Hey there...just saw this.

I've used several different brands of coconut oil, mostly looking for the extra virgin organic stuff. I used Barleans, Nutiva, Garden of Life and NOW, mostly because I do a lot of shopping off of Bodybuilding.com. You can do a search "coconut oil" and they should all come up. But my ultimate favorite is Monoi Tiare Tahiti (Gardenia). Be careful here, because they make several fragrances. It comes in a plastic bottle and what I do is melt it for 45 seconds in the microwave and pour it into a wide mouth glass jar, wide enough so I can dig it out with my fingers. Since I live in Minnesota, half the year its in solid form, but any of the coconut oils that I put in the jars, will melt asap between my hands. Sometimes there will be little pieces of coconut husks, but that is no big deal. The Monoi is scented with an infused flower. I've gotten the vanilla, coconut, jasmine and this one awful smelling one, can't remember the name, and my fav is the gardenia. I've gotten it from Amazon and mostly from here: http://www.vitacost.com/Monoi-Tiare...783673203&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=715783673203

Dry brushing feels great, that's for sure. Glad you like it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.