Direct TV vs. Dish Network

angie_nrs

Cathlete
OK - I think Direct TV has ticked me off for the last time.:mad: It seems like my bill keeps going up and up and up..... Plus, they took away Sirius radio and I am missing my Octane like crazy. So, less service for more money. Hmmmmm - I'm not impressed.

So I called Dish Network today and it sounds like they can give me a much better deal. I can get their top 200 channels with DVR for $42.09 per month (2 receivers) for 1 year with a $15 increase on the second year with a 2 year contract. It sounds much more reasonable than the $53 per month that I am paying for Direct with similar programming and with only 1 receiver and no DVR.

Before I make the leap though, I thought I'd see what you all have and what you like or dislike about the service you have. Is there another option I am missing?

i can't offer much advice but i am surprised you are having such a hard time with direct tv. i haven't seen any rate hikes other then with HD packages. now verizon on the other hand(verizon and direct tv are on one bill) keep going up and down on me. i have had the best of luck with direct tv. i have had them for a little over 1 1/2 years now. it barely goes out, i have never had unexplained charges on my bill and if they do any rate hikes we get a notice a month in advanced,even if they don't apply to us.

my issue with dish(had them few years back)is that i would never connect my box to my phone line but still movies i never ordered would show up on my bill. a few occasions was dirty movies and i was always arguing with them. its like how can i be ordering X rated movies at 10am when i wasn't home or i was home with my child! it was just a hassle to get them removed from the bill and have them figure out why i kept getting these charges. they also weren't very good when it was bad weather. didn't hold up as well as direct tv did.

that is all i can add though

kassia

Last edited:
I've had dish network for several years now. The cable company bill was up to 60+ dollars, and customer service was rotten, so I switched.

I've been very pleased. THe only time we've had a problem with reception is during one of those hugely powerful thunderstorms that pass through pretty quickly. I think it's happened 3 times since we've had it. Customer service has been very pleasant.

The remotes break every year or two. Dish wants $20.00 for a new one. I have found replacements on E-bay for $5.00.

It's very easy to upgrade if there is something you want to see on a premium channel, or in a larger package. It is $5.00 to downgrade.

Dish does not have FitTV. At least not in my area.

HTH.

Thanks for the replies girls

Kassia - I just received a $3.50 per month increase which they said was an 'across the board' rate raise. Plus, next month it will go up another $10 since they said my 'promotional rate' will be up then.:mad: I never got a notice this year or last of their annual rate increase.....which really doesn't sit well with me. I get online statements and nothing was on them about a rate increase beforehand.
I remember years ago when I had Dish Network they wanted the phone line attaced to the receiver and I refused to let them do it. I will have to remember to make sure I do that again since I do NOT want charges on there for movies I did not order. That would really tick me off.

Ly10up - Oh yeah, I forgot that they don't offer FitTV.....I remember mentioning that to them several years ago and suggesting that they offer it. I guess I can live without it.
I also got the remotes from DTV off ebay too. The kids are awfully hard on the remotes. My 12 year old likes to peel the rubber off the back.:rolleyes:

My direct tv is part of my phone company bundle which I was promised not a rate increase for at least one year. My first channel had FitTV with Cardio Blast on it which I viewed. Direct Tv refused me installation when I was sick last spring, the representative didn't want the installers mad at him.
No complaints, I have the new dish from them and the new DVR with remote.

No complaints about DirectTV

We've had DirectTV since 2002. No complaints. Just got an HDTV this past fall. They installed upgraded us to a HD dish and DVD at no cost.

I have no experience with DishNetwork but have friends that do and like it.

Lisa

This hasn't been mentioned as an option, but I must chime in. We had Dish for years but switched to this AT & T U-Verse, which is tv, phone and internet. Some we know love it. I hate it with an absolute passion. So much I've surrendered it all to my husband (who wanted it) because it literally gave me stomach problem for a week. When they came to switch we lost our phone number for two weeks and were given a temporary number (so easy to give to everyone) it's taken 8 techs out here and the damn thing still isn't right. I'd go back to Dish in a heartbeat.

Anyway, it wasn't mentioned. I'm just so stinkin mad I couldn't resist the urge to bad-mouth the name when I had the chance. It's the only chance I get for retribution since AT & T owns everything.

Jen

I have never had Dish. I have had DirectTV for probably 10 years or so. I got them mainly for the NFL package as I LOVE NFL!!! I have not had any kind if rate hikes and whenever I have an issue they are usually here the next day to fix it. I get most everything so far fixed for free as my DH purchased the monthly protection pkg. I called recently to ask about upgrading my one old receiver in my bedroom. They offered me a free upgrade to a HDDVR so I can move my other Tivo Receiver into my bedroom and finally enjoy the benefits of my HD TV in my living room....:D

I've had Dish Network for several years now and have been very pleased with the service. In fact, around Thanksgiving, I called them to upgrade one of my receivers for HD and they came in and did it the next day...a SATURDAY!! :D

The only thing I've heard about Dish is that there are some channels they don't carry, including local channels. They also don't have the sports subscriptions, if that matters for you. I have DirecTV - and NFL Sunday Ticket (which I LOVE and must have). No real complaints.

Hey Angie ..

Hope things are going well for you!!!

I first had Direct TV .. and yes had MANY complaints .. they dropped 2 - 4 of the channells my DH watched ... Hunting channells .. I know your guys hunt and fish .. so Dish has a few channells that are not available on Direct .. (not sure on price though) .. the fees yes .. for no reason the fees would be added ..

with Dish I have the "everything" package .. all the channells .. compared to getting that on Direct .. it is alot cheaper ...

I upgraded and got the DVR's and the second one too .. NICE DEAL .. i kept waiting for the "catch" but (knock on wood) there wasnt one ..

the ONLY complaint i have .. is during my college football game .. if some are on PPV .. you have to call (cant do it on screen) .. and you get a dang CSR from Lord knows where .. they never speak good English .. and you know I have that Southern drawl and they cant understand me .. it is a MESS ... but i have learned to pitch a fit and ask for an American and they usually take care of things no problem ..

but that is only one or two games a year .. so no biggie .. the rest of the time .. it is MUUUUUUCH better than direct Tv IMHO!!!! :D

Hello to the family!!!

My experience

We just switched from Dish to Direct TV. We had Dish for years, never any trouble, worked great. The only reason we switched was to get the MLB Network.

Dish is really your best deal. You get more channels for less money. The Starz movie package comes with the package we had and the Outdoor Channel. The comparable package we have with Direct TV does not have Starz and we have to pay and extra $3 for the Outdoor Channel. My husband and kids are baseball crazy so they are so happy with the MLB Network, I try not to mention too often the better deal we had with Dish.

Also I loved the fact with Dish we had one receiver (DVR) but could watch it in different rooms. And if you record something it's available in each room.

Oh and the Hallmark movie channel came with the Dish package but not Direct TV.

I did have blood pressure problems a few time with Direct TV customer service. They literally told me three completly different things about HD. But everything seems to be fine now.

All that said, you get more for your money with Dish.

Susan

I switched from cable to Dish and absolutely love it. I was spending about $100 on cable and now I am spending $42. I have a dual dvr and dual boxes so more than I had with cable. My bill will increase by $15 the 2nd year. Still not too bad.........:D I also looked at Att and DirectTV. Dish had the best deal.

Thank you all for your input!:)

I just had Dish Network installed yesterday and so far I'm loving it! The picture fits my screen so much better than DTV and I haven't noticed any of the voice 'dead spots' on local channels that I had with DTV. I'm loving the DVR and the pause and replay functions while watching TV. That is just so cool!:)

I wasn't overly impressed with the tech who installed it though. When he checked to make sure I had service he said 'oh, they didn't get your locals in here yet, just give em' a call and they can get it set up for you.' I said, "nope, I'll give them a call right now so that I have everything set before you leave". Lo-and-behold, he said "I'll just give em' a call......I can probably get them faster than you can." Well, duh!:confused: He also wasn't very informative on the system set up and when I asked him questions he'd just say "I don't know, but I'm sure it's in the manual". I'm thinking....you don't know?.....and you're a DN tech? Why don't you just come out and say...."hey lady, I'm in a hurry here....it's Friday afternoon and I've got me some partying to do.":rolleyes:

Now I just hope and pray that the billing that I get is what I was told I would get. The contract is a blanket contract that protects DN and does nothing to protect the customer. There are no price quotes in the contract which I think is just ridiculous. Why can't they put those promises on paper instead of just asking you to trust them? I've read a lot of bad reviews on this issue for both DTV and DN. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Personally, if they would just inform customers of the price, cost increases, termination fees, etc., and put it plainly on paper, I think they would have happier customers. It's not always the fact that they raise rates that ticks me off, but the fact that they just do it without any notification - like they hope you won't notice. Grrrrrrrrrr! I know both companies are guilty of this. I think rate surprises backfire on them more so than if they would just be upfront and explain the rates/increases/fees before they go ahead with them. I just think that shows more respect. If only they could follow the example that SNM sets.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.