Difference between BFL and Physique Trans?

I don't know about the eating plans but BFL does require morning workouts on an empty stomach. They claim the body will preferentially burn fat in this manner I believe. I have read that basically that is an unproven assumption.
I have done the BFL weight program and I do know that, for me, the 3 x 20 mins. high intensity cardio sessions are quite enough when you consider all of the high rep. weighttraining that's involved with it.
There was no way, for me, that I could ever get large muscularly on the BFL because there are too many reps and the weight is too light. It was a struggle to keep my bodyweight up. Whether I lost bodyfat percentage or not I don't know.
Trevor :)

>
>There was no way, for me, that I could ever get large
>muscularly on the BFL because there are too many reps and the
>weight is too light. It was a struggle to keep my bodyweight
>up. Whether I lost bodyfat percentage or not I don't know.

That's interesting. I see it as low rep, high weights.

Perform two exercises for each major muscle group of the upper body.
Select one exercise for each muscle group and conduct five sets, starting with a set of 12 reps, then increasing the weight and doing 10 reps, adding more weight and doing 8 reps, adding more weight for 6 reps. Then reduce the weight, do 12 reps, and immediately go to another set of 12 reps for that muscle group.

So for example biceps:
bicep curls: you would do a total of 5 sets (12, 10, 8, 6, 12)
hammer curls: 1 set of 12 reps

Then you would go on to triceps.

BFL does recommend morning cardio but you it isn't required.

As far as eating:

40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat
6 meals per day; plus 2 servings veggies a day
1 free day a week

Not sure about the other plan.

Colleen

I think the essential difference is that PT is much more precise than BFL. It takes more of your time, but I prefer it simply because it's more precise. I need that guidance.

Shari

I think as an overall fitness plan, the two are complementary - BFL gives you much more guidance on workouts, and PT on diet. Lots of people on the PT eating plan are using the BFL workouts.

PT is much more precise as far as the eating goes. BFL gives you a general ratio of protein/carbs/fat and encourages small meals and snacks. If you do PT, you get a specific number of calories per day (based on your gender, fat loss goals, metabolism) and a specific breakdown on protein/carbs/fat; your goal each day is to eat that number of calories in those proportions.

I'm on PT right now, in my 4th week of "conditioning" (eating to get my metabolism active) - this week I'm eating 2446 calories per day with a 26% protein/59% carb/15% fat ratio. When I get to "fatburning", the calories vary each day, I'll eat more protein, drop the carbs down somewhat, and fat drops to 10%.

Allison

Low reps would be say, 3 sets per exercise consisting of 6 to 8 reps. This allows you to go very heavy and use weights that will be impossible to use on the BFL program, believe me. I have done both ways of lifting.
With BFL you are doing 48 reps with one exercise and then another 12 with the other exercise. You'll find very quickly that doing that many reps at a 2 count/4 count will keep the weights relatively light.
Another thing for me was trying to hold it to two exercises per body part.
I don't recall the exact wording in the BFL book but I know they think empty stomach exercising is the way to go. For most people the easiest way to do that is in the A.M. And if it's recommended, then that means do it. You aren't doing the program if you incorporate deviations. It's like the people who want to use Cathe's videos in the BFL program. Well that may work, or may not work, but either way, it's not the BFL program in that instance. I think the cardio in BFL is based on HST which is just glorified interval work.
Trevor

:) :) :)

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

And yes on BFL's theory about exercising on an empty stomach.

And again I agree either you are doing BFL or you are not doing BFL. And it's one of my pet peeves :) when someone says they did BFL but it didn't work for them. And in reality they used BFL as a guide and changed up either the exercises or diet aspect. My issue is not that their plan didn't work but saying that their plan was BFL.

Colleen

Sounds like I need PT since it's the eating part I need help with.
I just hate logging every bite of food I eat. Believe me, I get writer's cramp.
I'm going to read more about both, but based on the educated crowd's input I'll be more prepared for the reading.

Allison, if you don't mind my asking, how do you like the PT way of eating? I was looking around on their website last night, and was thinking of taking the free trial offer. I don't necessarily want to lose more weight, but would like to eat more clean and healthy. I'm basically looking for solid, structured guidelines on the whole percentages of fat, protein and carbs idea, and their program looks impressive. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carol
:)

BFL doesn't count calories and you don't have to log food. The eating plan is pretty precise though. There is a list of authorized foods to choose from. Choose one protein and one carb with each meal, plus add two servings of veggies a day. 6 meals a day. Palm size portion for protein, fist size portion for carbs. It is made to be simple but effective. No more logging, counting, etc.

Colleen

Hi Carol,

I like the PT way of eating but it does take some getting used to. I don't have a ton of weight to lose - maybe 10-15 pounds - but diet has always been my downfall. I know what it means to "eat clean", and I do 90% of the time, but I've never been good about figuring out what proportions work for me. And if I have a day of not eating very much, I tend to think, "well, I can have a huge bowl of ice cream because my calorie intake was so low today."

PT is about as structured as you can get, down to the last calorie or gram. You have to be a little compulsive - OK, a LOT compulsive/anal - to hang with the program. It's very carb-heavy and they are heavy carbs - rice, pasta, bagels, shredded wheat, oatmeal are staples for me. Because you have so many calories to eat every day, at least in the early stages, you skimp on vegetables because they're just not calorie-dense enough. You also cut back on fruit due to the sugar content. I love vegetables and fruits and this has been my biggest adjustment.

You also have to eat many small meals or you'll be stuffing down huge heavy carbs at 10:30PM just to get your food in. That takes some getting used to also - my body was programmed for three meals and a snack or so, and now I'm eating six small meals and drinking a gallon of water a day.

If you're interested, I'd encourage you to take the free diet analysis. It's eye-opening - I was eating way more sugar and sodium than I thought, plus a lot more fat (even though it was healthy fat from nuts and olive oil).

Lemme know if you have any other questions...

Happy Turkey Day,
Allison

Thanks Allison! This helps a lot! Happy Turkey Day to you too!!

Carol
:)

I did one challenge of BFL and then found Physique Transformation on the internet. I am doing that now.

I loved BFL. Workouts were great! Never have lifted so much weight, for me anyway. On the food side, I guess I am anal about things and the portion sizes bugged me. I started measuring everything out and logging into Fitday.com. So when I read up on Physique Trans. I decided to try it since I was already logging everything I ate. BFL was getting to be routine for me and I wanted to change things up alittle. I liked the idea about rotating calories and wanted to try it and see how it goes.

I think both plans are good in their own way. Personally, I am trying to find what works for me and my lifestyle. So far, so good.

Have a great day!!!

Debbie C :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.