Diet

ShelleyM

I am wondering what kind of diet most of you follow. Do you do primarily protein, or carbs.
Thanks for the info!

Be careful about protein diets

I have studied up quite a bit on protein diets and certain protein diets can be a bit dangerous. Some are legit, but others which allow no carbs can raise cholesterol levels and we all know that isn't good! I am a carb "addict". You name it, I love it when it comes to carbs! I believe that the best "diet" is a sensible moderate portion diet that doesn't eliminate anything. My problem is that my portion sizes are out of control. I try to drink a glass of milk before my meal to help fill me up, and I use a small plate with smaller portions. I usually HAVE to have a second helping of something, but with my smaller plate, I can't fit too much on it. Does anyone have any diet "tricks" to help them stay full? I have myself spoiled by drinking a few cups of Carnation fat free hot chocolate (25 calories a cup). That helps with the chocolate cravings too!

Any luck with the milk?

Do you eat less when you drink the milk before you eat? I have heard of drinking a glass of water before you eat....doesn't help me though. I also try to cut down my portions and a few years ago after I had my second child it really worked but now I can't seem to be that disciplined. Maybe someone can give us some ideas....I don't believe in cutting out things either....Love my carbs and love my protein.....and unfortunately they love my thighs!=( MichelleP

Feeling full

I make and eat a lot of soups and thick hearty stews. You can make them low-fat, add tofu or meat or TVP for protein, add lots of vegetables, herbs and such, and because of all the liquid they really fill you up.

Hi Shelly,
Personally, I tend to only try to hold the fat to 25% or less of my daily intake. I must admit that I kind of let the other two(protein and carbs) take care of themselves. I eat sensible portions and eat nothing after 7 pm in the evenings.
As far as protein diets go, I've had co workers who do them and, quite frankly, there were either no good results obtained as far as weight loss, or they lost weight and suffered from lack of energy. I don't think those diets provide enough carbs for people who work out strenuously. Also, I've heard protein diets are tough on the kidneys. Anyway...that's my two cents worth.
Trevor

Nutrition

In an effort to sort fact from fad, I took 2 nutrition classes & read everything I could get my hands on. I also reviewed many of the top-selling diet books on the market.

I highly recommend a position paper "Nutrition for physical fitness & athletic performance for adults" issued by The American Dietetic Association & The Canadian Dietetic Association. You can find it at the ADA's website www.eatright.org. I also recommend "Training Nutrition" by Ed Burke & J. Berning. This book was one of the texts for my sports nutrition course, but is widely available.

I learned that the by-product of excess protein in the diet is more than expensive urine. Protein digestion (processing) is hard on the liver & kidneys, & it interferes with calcium absorbtion (counter-acting bone-building efforts).
It's an inefficient source of fuel for endurance activites.

Finally a healthy diet is dependent upon quality: quality carbs, fats & protein. Sorry for running on.

Thanks, everyone for your information. I can't do the milk, because I am allergic, even Lactaid is hard for me. My biggest problem, like most people, is nighttime eating. If I could make myself stop eating after 8:00, it would help. I tend to graze all night!!

How about V 8 ???

Since you can't do the milk thing before meals, how about drinking a glass of V8? I've never tried it but someone a while back posted that she drank a glass before lunch and dinner and it really helped curb her appetite so she didn't over-eat (is that a word??
happy.gif
). Anyway, I thought it was an great suggestion since it would also supply some healthy vitamins and minerals.

Come to think of it, I may have to try this now that I've written about what a wonderful idea it was!! (hee-hee!)

Bev

It helps somewhat!

i have a BIG appetite and the milk does help a little. I like to "spoil" my appetite by eating fruit or carrots. I'm trying so hard to get in all those fruits & veggies we're supposed to be eating. It's hard to work them in. My kids of course hate them all. I've discovered a calorie free, fat free ranch dip by Walden Farms that makes carrots actually taste pretty good! i love the idea about the V-8 drink too. I'll have to try that! thanks for the ideas!

Kids and vegetables

Hi,
Don't know if this will help or not, but my kids love raw veggies when they dip them in salsa and/or dip. Red peppers and carrots are their favorites, but they will eat just about anything like that. Good luck!
Erica

Hi Shelley! I follow a 25% fat, 60% carb & 15% protein diet. Don't really count calories or do any of those tedious calculations but make sure I have 3 decent meals a day and snack on at least 2 fruits a day. Make sure you eat a variety of foods and just make sure their nutitrious choices that you're making. For instance for breakfast: have oatmeal w/either fruit mixed in (raisins) or granola, lunch: 2 pieces of whole wheat bread w/turkey & provolone w/lettuce & tomato & a little of either mayo or Dijon mustard and a piece of fruit and dinner: fish broiled w/tomatoes, onions & red peppers and boil up some corn-on-the cob w/brown rice if you want. I usually have 2 graham crackers for dessert. This is just one suggestion I have of one of my typical days. It gives me the energy I need to work out as much I do. Hope this helps! Best regards, KathyH

allegy or intolerance?

shelley,
sorry to but in, but I was curious.
Are you lactose intolerant, or allergic to milk protein?
If lactose intolerant (I am, too, like many others) perhaps yogurt would help (the lactobacillus bacteria helps to digest lactose; much easier on the gut than a glass of milk). You can even try it with a Lactaid tablet. Less time consuming would be soy milk (silk brand--vanilla--is really good, I have just discovered). Just a couple of thoughts.
You may already know this, so, again, I apologize for horning in.
good luck

allergy or intolerance

Michele,
I'm lactose intolerant. Yogurt even bothers me, but I've got stomach problems, anyway. I've never tried the soy milk, though. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!!

soy

I've got the allergy thing going (why I couldn't have figured out that I couldn't breath all through childhood because of milk is beyond me) and second the soy suggestion. Silk is my favorite soy milk, but I like the plain best. The vanilla is very sweet, but it makes great smoothies. The chocolate is nice as a treat. Westsoy, Edensoy and Pacific make pretty good soy milk, too.

If you see soy yogurt, though, run! Well, sort of. The plain works okay in recipes, but the flavored stuff does NOT taste like yogurt. As time goes on, though, I'm forgetting what yogurt really tasted like anyway, so I can handle the stuff better. It's really sour, though.

I've found that when I eat something with some fat in it for my second meal (I usually have 5 400 calorie meals a day) those late afternoon cravings drop off. My two favorites are a two egg omlette with an ounce or ounce and half of cheese and a bunch of vegetables or those little "Red Baron" breakfast pizzas. I would only recommend the ham NOT the sausage or bacon, too fatty and not too good. Try it and tell me what you think!

how about rice milk?

My daughter is allergic to milk (I call it "sensitive;" the naturopath calls it "allergic.")

She drinks Rice Dream vanilla rice milk w/ calcium and Pacific cocoa rice milk. She likes it fine. Rice Dream also has frozen desserts that she actually thinks are *yummy*!

I like soy beans, but soy milk tastes *awful* to me. (Haven't had it in years, though... maybe they've improved it since then.)

Cynthia

JUL-Tried the milk.......this way

I am not sure if this is good or bad but today I thought I would try the milk approach. I did it differently I put ovaltine in the milk and drank it with my meals....I had it for breakfast and ate considerably less. I had it for lunch and just had a small snack. I had it with dinner and just ate a piece of steak. Now I do know I need to get those veggies and fruits in but I could tell a big difference in drinking milk with my meals than pop. I tried awhile back drinking water with my meals but for some reason I felt cheated....like I needed something more. Just thought I would share....
MichelleP
GOT MILK???????

rice milk

I'm the opposite of you. I can't stand the rice milk (too sweet!). I do like those Rice Dream desserts, though. The ones that look like drumsticks are really yummy. Some of the soy milks out there are beyond vile, though, and I would definately drink Rice Dream over anything by Harmony Farms (or the amusingly named Soy Moo). Actually, I would probably be fine with Rice Dream in a smoothie, since that's the only way I can drink vanilla soy milk, either. Gotta be plain or chocolate before I can drink any of it straight.

What are your daughter's symptoms? The cold that won't go away (my problem - can't breath for weeks if I accidentally get some dairy in something - plus, I get lovely swollen black eyes and look like a beat up raccoon) or the digestive ones? I probably have that now too, since it's been a few years of avoidance and I doubt I have any of the appropriate milk digesting enzymes left. I never know exactly what to refer to it as either, since I'm not going to die from it (like allergy) but it isn't just a stomache ache problem (like intolerance), so I go with calling it "allergy" to keep people from trying to sneak it into my food thinking I'm only imagining things. This has happened and they've not tried it again when they've seen what I look like 2 hours later. Yuck.

Rice Dream

All of my kids were diagnosed as "lactose intolerant" and they all drank Rice Dream and loved it. We used to buy it by the case for a discount. They all had digestive problems from milk for a long time, but are fine now.
I've never had soy milk, but a lady in the grocery store told me the chocolate variety is wonderful! She couldn't decide between a quart and a half-gallon because she liked it so much and didn't want to drink too much!
Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.