Diet

Eat Right for Your Blood Type

I have tried every type of diet in the world and with varying success. About 3 years ago, while breastfeeding my 2nd son, I was experiencing constant hunger, weight gain, and I looked really bad. (Lack of color in my skin and bad skin).

I picked up Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type because I was interested in feeling healthier and regaining my vigor. At that time I was trying to eat more grains and vegetables and cut done on the fats and red meat. I had eczema and constant diahrrea(sp?).

When I read the book I finally was able to understand why there are so many different types of diets and why certain parts of the population react well to some and fail at others.

The essence of the book is basically that your blood type tells you how to eat. I am an O so my diet should consist of mainly meat proteins, vegetables, nuts and fruits. I should avoid wheat and potatoes. I also thrive on heavy exercise.

My husband is an A and should eat a low fat, low animal protein diet. He should avoid milk products as well.

After eating the O diet for 3 years, my body fat has dropped from 35% down to 22%. My skin is clear and I have energy to burn. My asthma and IBS have been eradicated. My husband has also lost weight and sleeps better.

My thoughts are that one diet does not fit all and ER4YT is a place to start looking.

Tofu "Fries": A great snack or light low-cal dinner

Here's a good light meal or snack--- something that works quite well for me when I'm trying to cut back on animal protein and calories. I know many people are grossed out by tofu---but here's a trick to change the stuff into something quite good.

The texture of tofu is changed substantially by freezing it. Freezing turns it into a baked chicken-like substance. Important: before freeze tofu, DRAIN THE WATER COMPLETELY. iF YOU DON'T DRAIN IT, IT WILL TURN TO MUSH IN THE FREEZER. You don't have to squeeze it dry, but blot it with a few paper towels, wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze until solid. When ready to prepare, thaw the stuff for a few hour AND squeeze out the excess water (this is a lot easier once tofu has been frozen).

For "tofu fries", slice once-frozen, squeezed dry tofu into sticks.
Spray tofu sticks with Pam. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder...or anything else that sounds good. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until slightly browned. Serve with brown rice and broccoli...or wrap in tortillas and serve with salsa.

My kids (really finicky) eat these with catsup...and think they're made of chicken.

Try it.

those sound great!

Thanks for the tofu fries recipe. I actually usually like the stuff anyway, but this sounds very easy and yummy, and easy is something I need a lot of right now.

Juicing

I got into juicing a few years back when I got into a "healty colon" phase. I still try to be good to my colon, but I'm not as fanatical about it as I was. I do still juice, though. It took me a few weeks to get use to the taste of it, but the benefits are terrific! It's an easy way to consume a low-cal, energizing snack. Keeps you regular, too!

One of the books I read by Dr. Bernard Jensen said that alot of overeating is caused by eating nutritionally bankrupt food. Your body takes about 30 minutes to realize you just stuffed yourself full of calories with no value and so the brain sends a message to you that you're hungry again in hopes that this time you might send some real nutrition down the pike.

I can get through the morning just as well on a glass of carrot juice as a bowl of oatmeal, although for me, carrot juice is the perfect solution to my mid-afternoon slump. Few calories, easy to consume and wow, what a perk up!

I'd recommend you try out your local juice shop for a couple of weeks before investing in a home juicer. I wouldn't give up my juicer for anything!

soy milk

Yeah, most soy milk tastes pretty bad (something called "silk" even leaves a milky, yucky film on your tongue). I've gone through many types of soy milks (used to just do Rice Dream, but decided I was missing out on isoflavones by not doing the soy milk thing) and I found that Edensoy and Pacific Ultra taste best (at least to me). Pacific Ultra also has acidophilus added to it, as well as vitamins. The only drawback is that the acidophilous makes the soy milk clump a bit in the bottom of the container, so you have to make sure to shake well before opening, and watch the last 1/2 cup or so).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.