Diet Advice

Hi Girls,I'm curios to know what you all eat.I just posted this on Ask Cathe also by the way.I'd love to know what she eats too!Please let the secrets out!I'm trying to lose 15 lbs.I try to eat low-fat with a carb and protein in each meal but I have a really bad sweet tooth.What about this somersizing that I keep hearing about?From what I understand you can't eat a carb and pro together.Why?Please Help!!

This will be tough, but the absolute best advice I can give you is to cut out the sugar!! It is very hard at first if you have a sweet tooth (believe me, I know where you're coming from), but it is possible to retrain your taste buds. Choose a time in your life that you are not overly stressed, and take it one day at a time.

It worked for me -- I joined Weight Watchers for some guidance, and found that my basic eating plan was OK except I was getting way too many calories in sweets. I was actually shocked to find out how much sugar I was eating. The fundamental change I made was to eliminate sweets except for one dessert on the weekend. The rest of the time, I ate fruit instead of the cookies, ice cream and chocolates that I used to eat. I took off 33 lbs that way. I've since backtracked -- I'm 39 weeks' pregnant and have put on 38 lbs -- part of that is because I started eating sugar again in my first trimester -- but I know what I need to do and I will do it again.

The other important thing is to make sure you are drinking lots of water.

The Somersizing thing is a gimmick and bad science. It is absolutely fine to eat carbs and protein together at the same meal. Suzanne's theory has to do with "confusing your digestive system" if you give it foods that require different enzymes to digest, thereby making your system less efficient. Our bodies are smarter than that -- the right enzymes combine with the right foods and your food gets broken down properly regardless of what other food is in your stomach at the same time. I think the theory is sort of a trick: notice that if you don't eat carbs and protein together, you are probably going to eat fewer calories at each meal, right? So you end up losing weight because of good old fashioned calorie restriction.

I have to second this post....not very sexy answers, but this is what works. You have to keep a food journal to get a handle on how much you really eat. Weight watchers is excellent, too. I did not join, but got their "At Home" program.

You may consider keeping your sweets eating to one day a week, but still allow yourself a little something everyday. We have gettingfit@38 who loves her Healthy Choice Ice Cream, and me with my sugar free/fat free Jello Pudding.

Those gimmick diets do nothing except fatten the bank account of the authors. Suzanne should stick to her ThighMaster!

I am getting married the last day of the year.. smiling its my birthday... anyway this is the second time around.. and he wants to take me to Hawaii for our honeymoon... WELL I am 5'7" at 130 to 135... BUT MY MID SECTION NO MATTER HOW SLOW HOW MANY SITUPS I DO ... IT IS UGLY ... anyway ... I AM PRESENTLY FOLLOWING
"BODY FOR LIFE" & "ABSOLUTION" -- they are the Phillips brothers... i have lost 3 lbs OF PURE FAT... IN MY MID SECTION!!
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN ... THIS IS WORKING FOR ME...
I HAVE A HORRIBLE SWEET TOOTH... I WOULD eat chocolate chip PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES EVERYDAY.. I LUV THEM... BUT..... ON THIS PROGRAM.. MY SUGAR CRAVINGS HAVE GONE AWAY !!!!!... HOW ABOUT THAT!... i make protein shakes -- great protein pudding --
I DO NOT CRAVE!!! HOW ABOUT THAT! ...
all i can say is it is working for me... AND HERE I COME HAWAII!
AND WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HIS .. its a balance meal .. I LUV POTATOES AND CARB.. I REFUSE TO GIVE THEM UP ...

Congratulations on your wedding and have FUN in Hawaii!! Lucky Duck! I am a bit familiar with the BFL plan, but what is the Absolution? I am assuming it is an AB routine??? Can it be done w/o a tape or book? Could you share with us? THANX!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hey, Veggiequeen!
PLEASE read what I posted on fad diets. There is no such thing as a bad food, a prohibited food (unless you are truly allergic), nor any reason not to combine carbs and proteins.

This is a soapbox issue for me, but as an exercise physiologist, I look at it from a scientific perspective. *AS LONG AS THE CALORIES IN ARE LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO THE CALORIES EXPENDED, YOU WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE CALORIES ARE FROM FAT, SUGAR, LEAN PROTEIN, FRUITS, VEGGIES, ETC. IF THE CALORIES IN EXCEED THE CALORIES EXPENDED, YOU WILL GAIN BODY FAT, WHETHER THOSE CALORIES COME FROM LEAN PROTEIN, COOKIES, BUTTER, FRUITS, VEGGIES, ETC.* It's the first law of thermodynamics at work here and nobody can change that law.
Once you lock this into your mind, you will never again be taken in by the goofballs, shysters and pseudoscientists out there.

Please e-mail me if I can answer any questions. As for what I eat, I tend to follow a fairly healthy eating plan of lean meats, veggies, and drink lots of water, but I also have sweets every day and drink quite a bit of Diet Coke. But, I don't miss workouts. My body fat is about 18%--not to bad for a 41 year old.

Maribeth

Oh, and as far as ways to limit your intake--I strongly discourage giving up any food, including sugar. All total denial does is make you obsess about the food.

Instead what I recommend for my patients and clients is to look at how and what you typically eat--not the detailed food journals where you have to weigh and analyze each and every morsel, but just a solid overview. Then what I do is to point out several painless but calorie saving substitutes to try--for example, instead of butter, I will recommend trying Butter Buds or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"--you'd be amazed at how many calories are saved in a very short while.

The more small modifications like this you can make, the greater the overall calorie savings and the more likely you are to make this a lifelong habit vs a temporary "diet".

Maribeth

THANK YOU!! I AM EXCITED.. I AM DETERMINED TO HAVE ABS LIKE A 25 YEAR OLD ( i am 46.. and dreaming..giggling)
ANYWAY..
Shawn Phillips RECENTLY WROTE A BOOK CALLED "Absolutions" very similar to "Body for Life" book BUT he gives more DETAIL concerning NUTRITION ... ! he also talks about ab workouts.. that he counts 1001 .. 1002 slow... AND THEY ARE A KILLER!.. I ALSO FOLLOW HIS LIFTING APPROACH.. AND FOUND IT WORKS BETTER THAN ALL THE VIDEO TAPES I HAVE..(I STILL LUV CATHE ALTHOUGH I wish she would SLOW DOWN WHEN LIFTING) .. --Example-start out the first se with 10lbs FOR MILITARY PRESS .. THEN THE NEXT SET 15LBS .... NEXT ONE 20LBS AND NEXT 25 .... I WANT TO TELL YOU I HAVE MORE CUTS THAN EVER BEFORE!
i find i am the strongest in the morning.. so i get up 4:00 each day (except weekends .. later) and workout... i think everyone knows what time of the day they perform best.. SORRY FOR GOING ON AND ON ... BUT I AM SOOO EXCITED ABOUT MY PROGRESS I LIKE TO TELL EVERYONE! ..
LOOK AT SOME OF THE PEOPLE ON www.bodyforlife.com _they even have a recipe site ..

i feel like i am going to get there...

I also DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY AND HAVE 6 OR 7 MEALS A DAY... THAT HAS CUT MY CRAVINGS...

example of my meal for a day

egg whites with cheddar cheese
bowl of oatmeal with soymilk
myoplex lite shake

tortilla with fat free refried beans and a little cheddar cheese
with salsa

protein pudding ( i luv chocolate PEANUT BUTTER)

grilled chicken
baked potatoe with butter bits on it
salad with 2 tablespoons of lite dressing

nite snack
I LUV PUDDING ! smiling

hope this helps .. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANYTHING... !

Whoa Girl!

You ARE excited!!! Keep at it and I'm sure you WILL have ABS like a 25 year old! Thanks for sharing all the info. I'll get back to you if I have any more questions. Good Job~You will look fabulous by your birthday and wedding day!!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I tend to eat mostly vegetarian. I am not a big meat eater. Calories count and there is no magic diet like Maribeth is saying.

I got very lean just by counting calories and working out. I did not follow any diet at all. I ate whatever I wanted just as long as I stayed in my calorie range.

Now I have a few pounds to take off becuase I have been over eating.

I must agree ... there is no magic diet, it's all about calories in and calories expended.

Now the choices that you make in those calorie allotments is what is important, but in order to have a healthy well balanced diet, that's easily resolved too. Just 25 grams of fiber or more a day and bingo ... you feel full, your skin glows, your body is healthy and ... ding ding ding ... you lose weight.

Just my humble thoughts.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

I agree, agree, agree except for one little thing. I find it actually easier to cut out "red light" foods, like chocolate candy. I have kids so I am going to be exposed. I found it harder to answer the "how much do I allow myself?" question than it was to just cut it out and know that it's not going in me. Now, I must admit that I am not perfect! I go through periods (months) where I leave the junk alone and will then try eating it a bit...but always seem to end up back at saying it's off limits and feeling much better when I'm there. And happier with body fat percentage and how I feel, look etc.
It just works for me.
Meredith

I am currently following the Business Plan for the Body book by Jim Karas and doing the Tank Top Rotation. I am losing on the scale at the rate of 1 pound per week and also seeing vast improvements in my strength and definition. And this success is coming for a 44 year old who has tried everything with little success over the past 5 years as the middle age weight gain hit and kept a comin'! This is the guy who helped Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America lose 30 pounds and keep it off.

Interestingly, he pretty much says everything Maribeth suggested about diet. Calories in minus calories burned = what your weight will do, period. He gives these easy formulas to figure out what you're burning a day, based on your sex, age and fitness level. After you do the math you figure out what you can allow yourself a day to still lose. He recommends 5 veggie and 3 fruit servings a day, so I just fit my other calories around that. OK, I confess - I don't get in all the vegetables everyday unless the corn in Fritos counts. (YES! I've managed to include some Fritos and still keep losing!!!)

He emphasizes tons of weight training and says cardio should be only about 25% of your workout time. The only way I'm deviating from this suggestion is that I don't get the 25% everyday - instead I get it in larger chunks using Cathe's 60 minute workouts on my cardio days in the rotation on a weekly basis.

Even though I've read about everything out there, been on WW, etc., for some reason this guy's suggestions and explanations struck a chord with me. If anyone else gets some success from it, I would love to hear a report down the line. I have been thrilled to finally achieve some hard-earned success! :)

That's why moderation is such a great key.

Don't get between me and chocolate during that time of the month ... oh my! You won't survive. hehehe!

I have my spouts too just like that. Hey, as long as I don't deprive myself, I don't binge and I allow myself some of those wonderful little pleasures. Food is an enjoyment and needs to be treated that way. But again, in moderation. ;)

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.