Did Intense Cardio and Sick Again

JulesMT

Cathlete
Just wondering if this happens to you guys? I get on a fantastic fitness roll where I am feeling great and working hard. Then I do an intense cardio workout, like Imax or HIIT, and come down with a terrible cold the next day. I guess these intense workouts just lower my immunity too much. It is frustrating, because I love doing these workouts and don't want to give them up! I have two kids under 5 and they are like little petri dishes of germs. (Note to self... cut the intense cardio when the kids are sick.)

I've had fun catching up on the forums while I have been sick, anyway. I used to try to jump back into working out too soon, but I am giving myself a full week off to recover from this yucky cold. Hmmm, maybe I need some retail therapy-off to look at new workout stuff!:)

What do you eat and drink immediately after those workouts? For me, re-fuelling properly and staying away from sugar makes a huge difference in my general health level.

Stebby

What do you eat and drink immediately after those workouts? For me, re-fuelling properly and staying away from sugar makes a huge difference in my general health level.

Stebby

I try to have a snack immediately after working out, like a cheese stick or yogurt and some nuts and fruit, or else I drink V-8 Fusion juice mixed with Emergen-C and sometimes add whey protein powder. I actually eat quite a bit of food in any given day- I would guess between 2200 and 2500 calories. I am very careful to take a daily multivitamin and extra calcium. I do admit that I eat more sugar lately than I should!

For as long as I can remember, I have caught colds easily. I also suffer from seasonal allergies and was a preemie- spent my first month of life in an incubator-not sure if that makes a difference. It seems like my parents and twin brother get sick easily too, so maybe it is just in the genes.

The really frustrating thing is that my husband, who is naturally lean and muscular, eats and drinks whatever he wants, never works out and rarely gets sick!

This happens to me once in awhile, too! My body just doesn't like intense cardio!! I have asthma, allergies, and also used to get colds/sinus infections frequently. If I did any major cardio, I would inevitably come down with something. Awhile ago (about 2 yrs) I gave up gluten and dairy and I didn't get a single cold, sinus problem, etc. I also was doing more weight training and my cardio was not as intense.

Then in March of this year, I started Insanity. About a week and a half into Insanity, I got a horrible head cold/sinus infection after not having a single problem for 2 yrs... It's frustrating, because you feel so good about yourself getting on a great exercise track, then you get derailed...

I don't know what the answer is, but I can certainly relate!
Take care,

Could it possibly be unrelated to your workouts, and caused more by your everyday habits?

I travel by airplane a lot, and seem to pick up a head cold every few times I fly. It is so frustrating. The last year or so I have become VERY diligent about hand washing, not touching my face, taking Vitamin C every single day, etc., and my colds have lessened. This past year I had one bad cold, and most years I have 2 or 3 at least.

Try those things.... especially the frequent hand washing. I am so NOT a germ-o-phobe, but trust me, being really careful about hand hygiene works. You say you have small kids. Do the same thing with them.... wash those tiny hands all the time!

Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

Then in March of this year, I started Insanity. About a week and a half into Insanity, I got a horrible head cold/sinus infection after not having a single problem for 2 yrs... It's frustrating, because you feel so good about yourself getting on a great exercise track, then you get derailed...

I have Insanity but have never tried it b/c I have a nagging feeling that it would make me sick if I did the program as written. BTW, I get sinus infections too. Right now I am doing the STS/Shock Cardio 3 month rotation, and would like to try some of the Insanity workouts when I finish, but will probably just sprinkle 1 or 2 per week in with my other workouts, or maybe design a circuit workout using them.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have never tried cutting dairy or gluten, but there could be something to that. I could also definitely cut back on sugar. I do get lots of sleep, so I know that's not it. Great reminder to be more diligent about hand washing too- it's so easy to get busy and forget. It's hard to keep the kids away from the germs and I think it is actually good for them to be exposed to some stuff (although ds licks the shopping cart and dd won't stop picking her nose-ugh, wish I could stop those habits!)

My kids usually get sick before I do, so I should probably just skip cardio and substitute a walk or yoga when they are sick. I love a good cardio high, but it's not worth a week on the couch.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.