Did Anybody Order Tapes AND DVDs???

TarHeelMom

Cathlete
My children & husband gave me a DVD for my exercise cubbyhole for my birthday (yup, they are REALLY good guys) and I've ordered the new DVDs. But now, as the big deadline approaches, I'm back to wondering whether I'll regret not having the different format that the tapes provide. So -- I can't believe I'm even saying this out loud -- I'm just THINKING ABOUT ordering both.

Okay, y'all, somebody stop me. (I haven't even begun pondering that Troy barbell set yet...)

Or, on the other hand, help me justify this plunge into over-the-edge spending!!
happy.gif

I did!

I ordered the 8-pack on DVD and the 2-pack of Circuit Max and Cardio Kicks on VHS to tide me over, although after seeing Leaner Legs on Cathe TV ...

I knew that I wouldn't want to wait for the DVD, and I figured that I'll probably exchange Circuit Max and Cardio Kicks after I get the DVD. Of course, with my knee out of commission, all I'll be able to do is watch. Sigh.

You caught me...

I actually ordered both during May. I only have a DVD on my laptop (but it worked great with Kathy Smith's Kickboxing while I was traveling). The pre-order discount was so good, I couldn't pass it up. I also figured that DVD was the way of the future, and I don't want to be left behind!!

Jenn C

Kimberly, how's your knee?

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-00 AT 02:14PM (EST)</font></center>

Kimberly - didn't you just have surgery, if memory serves me? If so please tell me your knee surgery story. I hope all is going well for you. My vested interest in this is that my right knee has been inflamed off and on since a ski injury two years ago. A solid year of physical therapy got it back into passable condition, but it's been bothering me a lot lately as I've increased the weight on my barbell (ironic, huh, as my legs get stronger my knee won't hold up the weight). So right now I'm not able to do any propulsion on the step and some days even using the step at all leaves it swollen and painful. My orthopedist is saying that if I want to do these higher impact activities I should consider surgery to clean out cartilage scar tissue and realign my kneecap etc. etc. I have to admit that WWWendy's knee story scares me. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

P.S. Kimberly --

Notice that my knee is NOT preventing me from optimistically planning to do ALL of Cathe's new tapes. You too, I see!

Great Laptop Idea!

JennC, I have to admit I never thought of that -- what a great way to take Cathe along while traveling!

Guilty!

When I first pre-ordered, I ordered all the workouts on DVD, and then ordered the 2-pack on video, in addition. However, as the taping got closer, and we started hearing more about the videos, I knew I would NEVER be able to wait, so I emailed SNM and asked them to add the 6-pack vids to my order. Actually, I'm *sure* it was Paula Royal and Nancy Confer who pushed me over the edge because *they* ordered all of them!
wink.gif
Not my fault at all.
wink.gif

Hi Kathy!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-00 AT 04:31PM (EST)</font></center>

Thanks for asking! I was exactly in your situation of having constant nagging pain in my knee, which was exacebated by lower body strength training, step, hi/lo, you name it. I had knee surgery on 7/10 and my doctor did the lateral release to realign the kneecap and cleaned out a lot of loose cartilage on the rear side of the kneecap and also from the weight bearing surface of the femur. I think it's too early to tell, but here's where I am as of today.

I haven't started physical therapy yet. My first appointment is next Wednesday. At this point, all I can do is straight leg raises and "quad sets" which is a fancy way of saying tighten and hold your quadriceps for 10 seconds. I also have some exercises that I do at the pool--mostly kicking and leg circles in the water, plus hamstring and quad stretches in the water. I'm not allowed to start swimming laps for another week or so. I'm also not allowed to use my right leg for climbing or descending stairs, and no bicycling. No floor work or bridge work. I've been doing a lot of upper body and could probably recite PS BBA and CST in my sleep.

Yesterday was a turning point for me, though. My knee is slowly starting to feel normal again, although it's still swollen. I had some tightening and stiffness and that seems to be going away. I was pretty bummed out last week and stressing too much over what I couldn't do, but I've accepted it and I'm now trying to focus on what I can do.

I guess it will be a little while before I know whether this ultimately will correct it or help. All I can do is maintain a positive attitude and do what my physical therapist and doctor tell me to do. So if it means watching my new tapes while I do straight leg raises, then I'll do it. For once in my life I'm using common sense!

Oh, but it's so hard. I got both of Christi Taylor's new tapes and my Tae Bo auto-delivery and I feel kind of silly acquiring these new tapes just for the purpose of watching them. I hope that by the time I get Cathe's DVD, I'll be able to do it, even with modifications.

I'll keep you posted. Good luck to both of us!

Okay, I'm in...

... I'm going to take the plunge and add some to my order.

I'm feeling totally rationalized here, got all my arguments in place, got all my ammunition ready just in case my husband's eyebrows shoot through the ceiling...

happy.gif

not the original plan

But as women, aren't we entitled to change our minds?
wink.gif
I had planned on getting a DVD player just for these workouts, so I just ordered them all on DVD and a double of Cardio Kicks on VHS to hold me over...well, I priced DVDs and the options I had for one upstairs(the only spot to do cardio)...realized it wouldn't hook up to the old Commodore computer monitor I use for my VHS viewing and decided it was cheaper to upgrade to all VHS for the 8 instead of getting a new DVD plus a small TV that would be required for the DVD player...yadda yadda yadda

I am still getting the DVDs because I had intended on using the strength potions down stairs where I do strength...so I am keeing them anyway.

Now my dilemma of today...the upstairs VCR is broke
sad.gif
! If it isn't reasonably affordable to fix..it will be replaced with one of those VCR/TV combos...which I hope is DVD compatable...because I still would love a DVD player to take advantage of unlimited Cathe combos...and no precuing tapes!!!

I know..way too much info..but as far as getting both goes...SNM just about gave them away to us with the incredible presale prices..for both packages!..what's a vidiot to do
wink.gif

Besides...It was fun to say to my husband "Honey, wouldn't it be wiser
wink.gif
, for now, to spend $70 on videos over $450 on an DVD player that we can wait on for the prices to drop down a little"...I mean come on..the man jumped at spending $70 on videos..it was truly a rare moment in life LOL!!!

nancy:O)

Nancy, Good News for Your Hubby

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-00 AT 11:18AM (EST)</font></center>

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-00 AT 11:17 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-00 AT 10:46 AM (EST)

and you, of course! Y'all can definitely skin this cat for a whole lot less $$ than you might think.

You might not be able to tell it from my married name, but in my single days I hail from a long line of extremely cheap Irish folk. So I've got the scoop on how to set up your video equipment less painfully.

First let me tell you that in my exercise room (a finished portion of the attic -- boy is it hot up there) I have a used 27" TV that we bought about 5 years ago from Aaron Rents. My husband had that idea, I must say. I didn't even know they sold off their used rental equipment, but they certainly do. The TV has a tiny imperfection on one corner of the picture tube which I don't even notice anymore, and the box was kind of scratched up, like a hotel TV would be (in fact, that's sort of what it looks like). But it is a Sanyo brand, had stereo and remote, and was in decent shape. We paid $125 for it, and at the time 27" was one of the largest sizes on the market.

My older son also recently bought himself a 13" VCR/TV combo for his room (bar mitzvah money -- the kid is flush!). He shopped the net for it and found a nice little GE unit at buy.com with free shipping for $169.00. So there's that option if you want brand-new. It's a nice little TV with all the bells & whistles.

My sister recently bought a larger TV -- I think it's at least 32" and maybe larger -- through a classified ad in the Charlotte NC paper. There are a lot of TVs in the paper and a lot of people who overextend themselves on electronics, and she told me that the only precautions she would offer are (1) take someone (preferably male) with you to look at the merchandise (just like you would anytime you meet a stranger) and (2) buy a TV for which the seller still has the manual, warranty info and preferably receipt. She paid $225.00 for a Panasonic TV with all the paperwork that was only a couple of years old and was probably at least twice that price new.

My sister also bought a VCR to go with her "new" TV and she says she picked up a very basic Korean never-heard-of-the-brand model at Best Buy for $99.00. I haven't seen that model at the Atlanta stores but my sister's the world's greatest bargain hunter, so if she says it's so I believe her.

Now -- Remember I mentioned that my family bought me a DVD player for my birthday? My hubby and I have a firm rule about limits on gift spending for each other, so I knew my boys wouldn't have bought me a terribly expensive DVD. I feel a wee bit guilty having done this, but heck it's for a good cause -- I found and priced the model that they bought for me on the net. It's a Phillips single-disc, stereo, with remote, and it's widely available on the net for well under $200. I suspect my husband bought it at Best Buy since it's available there at the same price point.

AND here's the best part -- it works fine with my old TV. The DVD player has all the new fancy stuff like composite and component video inputs, and of course my TV doesn't even have plugs for that. But the DVD also has the old-style red, yellow and white plugs like you'd use for connecting Nintendo, and I just plugged into the TV using those ordinary video jacks. Presto.

So -- understanding, of course, that all things are relative, and this is still a lot of money (except when spent on Cathe-related gear
happy.gif
) -- I think you could buy all "new" equipment, including a separate TV, VCR and DVD, and spend somewhere around what you've been thinking you'd have to spend on a DVD player.

As in all things vidfit-related, where there's a will there's a way!

Kathy

Kathy, I need to come shopping with you!

You'd really help me find the bargains! I know I don't live that far away from you!
happy.gif

Kristin

Thanks Kimberly!

You go girl! I am probably just a few weeks behind you, if my bone doctor has anything to say about it, so I am taking a lot of hope & encouragement from your story. It really sounds like you're on the road to recovery and that you've done a great job of "realigning" your attitude. You are definitely totally right to go ahead and buy your new Cathe DVDs -- that gives you something very positive to focus on in your recovery.

I had the same emotional and attitude problems you did, believe me, during my year (and I am not exaggerating) of physical therapy in 1998-early 1999. At first, every time the inflammation would subside for more than a few days I would just churn with impatience, and then I'd try a heavier barbell or some lunges or ANYTHING that would give me some quad & glute work, and boom, I'd be back at square one. It took me weeks to overcome that frustration and to stick to the little (in my mind wimpy) straight-legged quad squeezes I was allowed to do. I know I was a pill for the physical therapist. But after a while things did improve. I continued with PT for many more months than I probably HAD to, and I'm convinced that part of the reason my doctor prescribed the continuing PT was because he knew that if he turned me loose to do unsupervised leg work I might very well overdo it again. Sort of pitiful, huh, to have to be treated like a prisoner who's tried to escape over and over.
happy.gif

My knee stayed pretty healthy last year, and I did baby it. For the longest time I did no propulsion, no lunges, not much of anything weight-bearing. I built back up very slowly. But this summer it has been flared up again, probably, as I said, because I've finally, slowly, progressed back up to a heavy barbell.

So I know how you're feeling, and I'm sure I'll have the same feelings again if I have this surgery. But if the choice is surgery or basically giving up any long-term substantial strength training in my legs, I'll be a good girl and slog through surgery and recovery.

One question, by the way: Can you drive a car? I'm having nightmarish visions of what's going to happen to my many carpools if I have this surgery. School is starting back here on August 21.

Take care -- I'm thinking about you!

Hi Kristin!

You aren't far -- aren't you in Duluth? I'm in Sandy Springs near Perimeter Mall.

Happy to provide shopping tips anytime. My family is reknowned for this.
happy.gif
(Not my husband's family, in which the women are shopaholics -- my bloodline!) I'm from NC originally, and since I've been in Atlanta for 20 years my mom has made a lifetime career of finding the best sources for NC furniture for me. Whenever I want something for my house, I get the manufacturer info to her, and she has never failed to find me someplace in NC that would (1) ship to me INSURED UNTIL DELIVERY, (2) charge me no sales tax and (3) save me many $$$ over buying in Atlanta.

And furniture is just the tip of her iceberg, believe me!

holy macaroni Kathy

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-00 AT 12:23PM (EST)</font></center>

Kristins right, I think you need to take us shopping!

I will certainly be looing out for all those deals..and you are right..I could get a ton of new stuff with the extra I save
wink.gif
..isn't it funny how men just don't get that concept LOL!!!

Mine says..it's not saved if you spend it. hehehehe...but I figure, any money spent on fitness is going to a great cause...ME
happy.gif

nancy:O)

You are so right, Nancy!

I tell Kenny that I have saved us SO much money over the years on health club memberships!
happy.gif

And he's got a 1/2 share in a set of Braves season tickets. I figure I could buy a LOT of videos & equipment for what he pays for those tickets -- and I make a lot of mileage out of that argument when those boxes from Collage and SNM Video arrive!
happy.gif

Yes, I can drive

My doctor told me that I could drive as soon as I could bear weight without crutches, and for me, that was the day after surgery although I didn't drive for a week because I stayed home from work for a week with my leg elevated. I didn't feel like I really even needed the crutches the day of surgery but I exercised a little common sense. I never needed the pain medication but I did take the prescription ibuprofen to help with the swelling.

Okay, question for you: Are you on the list for the Cathe fall roadtrip?

Hi Kimberly!

Sorry to take so long -- I just got back from depositing my baby boy (age 10
happy.gif
)at sleepaway camp -- 12 days!!!

I am NOT on the list for the fall Cathe trip, much to my sorrow. I actually was wait-listed last fall and had a "spot" held for me for the first couple of days that the new trip list was open. But I didn't find out about it until too late since we were out of town and I was off the computer for about 10 days. So once again I am a video bridesmaid. Maybe next year. I will be watching on Cathe TV, rest assured.

Are you scheduled to go? Boy, I can't think of better incentive to literally WILL your knee into improving!

Guilty as Charged

I forced Melly and Nancy to buy both. I practically had to tie Melly down to her computer and force her fingers to type in her credit card, to get her to order both. It's a tough job, but some vidiot has to do it
happy.gif

Paula's right....

I wasn't going to do it, but when I saw her standing in my doorway with that rope...well, I knew it was pointless to resist.
wink.gif
(Weren't you wearing your Halloween costume and saying, "Resistance is futile?")
wink.gif

Seriously, I think I knew from the beginning that I was fighting a losing battle with myself.
wink.gif
There was just no way I was going to be able to read everyone's comments and reviews w/out caving in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.