DH eating issues

Nancy-
When I first read your post yesterday I was going to suggest exactly what Honeybunch and Aquajock did, but didn't know if you'd be game. Now that I know what you're up for, why don't you tell us pretty much exactly what you DH eats on a daily basis (brands if you can) and then we'll come up with fake outs or swaps for everything that we can. Then all you have to do is ask him to try it, once, "for you"--you're not making him change forever, you're just getting him to try it--and of course eventually you'll be getting him to change forever;-)
I've also been so lucky in that DH converted first to vegetarianism, then cut out artificial sugars, then veganism. He was like your DH, grew up in a household in which sugar and fat were the basic food groups, usually with white flour thrown in the mix. His father still eats bacon and butter sandwiches on white bread with Nestle's Quik in 2% milk (yes, another adult who still drinks chocolate milk, several times a day, everyday). So for my DH, who has a lot of other issues with his family, getting as far away from the unhealthy eating as possible, was part of leaving the rest of the junk behind too.
Now let's get cracking on that list!
Mattea:D

Actually, Melody, your post is very relevant. I know people who do everything right, and still can't beat high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. My DH, however, does not have to have any of these problems. He is pre-hypertensive and pre-diabetic and if he were to drop even 5% of his weight, I've been reading that it would make a big difference, at least as to the pre-diabetes. And if he lost the entire 30+ lbs. he needs to lose, the doctor thinks these conditions would disappear entirely.

-Nancy

Nancy,
I relate to your concerns about DH. My husband has gradually moved toward more healthy eating -- but it is on his own terms and he has a way to go. Even though I do most of the cooking, I feel the different "religion" or mindset at times, but truthfully, he has inched in my direction, though it's not as much as I think is needed.

One idea that seemed to help him - though it's overwhelming really -- is to watch the movie Supersize Me. It takes a kind of male approach to this: here's the data, subject of 1 in the study, who eats badly 3x a day and look what happens. Even though my DH wasn't eating badly in any way near the point of the movie, I think it was useful for him to watch it. There is a lot of info presented in the movie in a compelling way.

Also, check out drweil.com -- he has a newsletter DH can subscribe to. My husband was more amenable to the idea of increasing his knowledge base ("I could learn more") instead of changing the way he eats, i.e doing it in this sequence or with this approach seemed friendlier. He reads the newsletter and I think it has helped in expanding his mind about the idea of nutrition and health.

Anyhoo -- apologies if I am being redundant or if others already suggested this. I just read your post and few others quickly and wanted to respond.

Good for you that your medical report was positive, though!! Have a great day!

Barb
:) :) :)

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
1. My DH drinks chocolate milk at any opportunity he can, drinks several Cokes a day, and sometimes stops at McDonalds for a happy meal on the way home. And I am definitely not sure if he is going there for the toy or for the food, as he keeps all the toys and has a few on his dashboard that appear older than me.
2. I am happy to do a more detailed description of A Day In The Life if you think that would help, including photos of any of my stuff. :) I know he's not likely to need an insulin pump, but the blood glucose checks and the joys of highs and lows go with both types of diabetes.
3. I have an admittedly harsh opinion of people in DT's position, and you're welcome to share this with him if you feel it is appropriate. As a little girl getting sicker and sicker and sicker, I never had the option of changing my diet and avoiding my disease. My pancreas "broke" due to genetic reasons, not because it was overworked. After having the disease for 18 years and struggling with it every day, to watch someone develop type 2 diabetes *due to a failure to make simple changes in their own lives*, it seems offensive to me and my struggles (and those every type 1 diabetic faces) in some way.
4. I asked DH and he said that if DT recognizes "pre-diabetes" as a problem, he is pretty sure DT will work to fix that problem. (Men want to be problem-solvers, you know... ;-) ) If you follow DH's thinking, then, the key for DT will be to convince him that pre-diabetes and those extra 30 pounds are a problem.
It looks like you've gotten loads of fabulous advice from all the women here. ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) and let us know how it goes!

LOL, *YOU* DID, Melody!! :p

ETA: DH just came back from the grocery store and was super excited to show me all the different types of Kool Aid he bought himself...

Nancy, I know this is a little late, but I'm wondering, is there some way you can appeal to his vanity on this issue? I think many adults often know all of the health risks but have a tendency to respond more to the superficialities of a healthy lifestyle (think: nice butt) than the more life-lengthening ones.

Just a thought,
Marie

I know he hates to hear you but keep on talking to him. He will appreciate it later. If push comes to shove replace his dressing with a lower cal and more healthy brand. Buy a healthy bottle and pour out the unhealthy bottle and pour the healty bottle in and whala he is instantly eating the low fat more healthy brand. In the name of love and for his health. Keep the faith and mission going. He will thank you later. x( :( ;) :7 :9

I'm definitely going to show DH Amy's post. Also, I had a talk with him yesterday. Told him it's easy to take baby steps and make small changes. HE came up with the idea to buy fat-free French dressing and mix it with his high-fat dressing! YAY!! I showed him his package of turkey and pointed out that there is plenty of turkey in the store that is low-fat and he doesn't need to choose the one brand that gets 1/3 of its calories from fat. I went around the kitchen and showed him the labels of various things he eats and explained to him how he can make smarter choices. I was gentle and he seemed somewhat receptive. Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies. :)

-Nancy

Nancy -

I've got my fingers and my toesies crossed for you and that DT.
Just keep loving him and lovingly nagging him;-) , I think he'll come around.

Nancy, sounds like you're making some progress. That's great!
Kudos to you for being persistant.
Maybe you'll be able to help his childlike palate grow up a bit?;-)

Kathryn-
Get this: he ate grapes last night as a snack instead of his usual cookies and candy!! :eek: In fact, as far as I know, he has no cookies and candy in the house. :eek: :eek: :eek: And for the last 2 nights, he has been measuring out exactly 3 tbsps. of his Kraft French dressing on to our dinner salads (they are VERY large salads and are all we eat for dinner). :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know how long it will last, but he does seem to be trying.

-Nancy

>Kathryn-
>Get this: he ate grapes last night as a snack instead of his
>usual cookies and candy!! :eek: In fact, as far as I know, he has
>no cookies and candy in the house. :eek: :eek: :eek: And for the last 2
>nights, he has been measuring out exactly 3 tbsps. of his
>Kraft French dressing on to our dinner salads (they are VERY
>large salads and are all we eat for dinner). :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
>
>I don't know how long it will last, but he does seem to be
>trying.

Sounds like he's off to a good start! Grapes, yay!

Now you just have to keep the momentum going that way and hope it's not just a passing 'fad'. I'm sure there will be at least some setbacks. But if he can keep this up for 3 weeks, maybe adding new healthy habits daily, it may be permanent.

If he likes grapes, go out and get some really delicious ones, wash and freeze some and see how he likes them. Share the pleasures of ' good' food and make sure to give him lots of positive reinforcement.

Sounds like you found something that works, and that your 'educational chat' gave him some good motivation. You're absolutely right about taking things one small step at a time.

Kathryn, I am going to fill the whole refrigerator with grapes!!!!!

I bought some grapefruit too, because I know he likes it. He sprinkles some sugar on top, but that's not so bad. It's still very low calorie compared to chocolate.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the support and encouragement. I intend to keep this guy around for as long as I possibly can. :)

Nance, as long as you are able to present things to him in such a way that he gets the delusion it was HIS idea, you're home free.

God forbid he admit his wife is, like, right about something.

Am obviously being affectionately sarcastic here.

And actually, I thought the fact that your DH has a letch for chocolate milk was kind of cute. Probably better that he be swilling that down on a regular basis than Scotch.

Live long and prosper.

A-Jock

I have to agree with A-jock's posts on this subject. For some reason most men think they need their coffee with cream, their potatoes fried, and the chicken with the skin (among other unhealthy food choices). It's really hard to change someone's eating habits when they were raised eating food like that and loving it. Just as long as you start making little changes without letting him know it'll work. It's really hard when we're health freaks and the people we love are not.

By the way, while we're on the subject. I saw a Burger King commercial the other day and they started calling salads and veggies "chick food" and implying that real men shouldn't eat "chick food" and they should eat a double whopper instead. Now although the commercial was funny, when you think about it, if we're going to start calling healthy food "chick food" then we're going to have a problem. Most "real men" won't want to eat "chick food". x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.