Depression question

Hi ladies:

For those of you who suffer the blues, are they worse in the morning?? And what do you do to get around them (other than or in addition to medication, if that applies). I value your input. Thanks in advance.

I usually go through this a couple times a month. I have cds by Marianne Williamson that I really love and I'll pop one of those in while I drive to work. Listening to her speak usually lifts me up. I did this this morning actually because I was feeling down and miserable. A few hours later I felt much better.

One thing I am learning is that sometimes I just have to accept that depressed feeling. I feel the more I try to fight it the more it persists. But I will still do something that will lift me up in the meantime. Hope that helps!

I don't know that they're worse in the morning.

As for getting around them, I can tell you how, personally, I DON'T succeed in getting around them! Usually all I want to do is escape--into reading, computer games, sleeping, etc. I'm sure you know what I mean. For myself, I call it "checking out". Engrossing novels (such as Harry Potter, for example) are great for drawing me into my inner world, while the outer world fades into the background.

THIS IS NOT GOOD for getting around the blues! Losing touch with reality makes me--not want to face reality, and avoid it even more. It snowballs.

The best way to feel like doing something is to start doing something. What I tell myself is "Stay here, don't check out". Then I force myself to vaccuum a floor or or just DO something. If I'm in the car I'll turn off the radio. If I feel that need for escaping--I do NOT start a computer game or a big old book.

I guess the key is knowing when I'm vulnerable to wanting to check out, and make sure I stay in the moment. Look for papers to file. Anything. Just stay in the moment.

I don't know if this applies to you...

Gisela

Episodes of depression can vary depending on the person. For some people they're worse in the morning, for others (like me) they are worse right before going to bed. They can also get worse due to hormonal fluctuations (when ovulating, menstruating, menopause, pregnancy, etc.) Besides going to therapy if you can't control these episodes, diet and exercise can help a lot. Also going outside during daylight. Daylight helps regulate your mood and it helps you reset your internal clock so you can fall asleep faster at night.

Thanks - I appreciate your responses. (Here I go with "I", "I", "I"...) BUT I do take Lexapro for depression and it is terrific. That depressive edge is long gone, and I can see issues for what they are instead of as life-threatening monsters. And I have been taking it for several years. Love it. No weight gain - weight loss, actually. Increased sexual appetite instead of decreased, as is the norm. So, this is a very positive improvement for me (and husband}( ).

At first, after starting on the Lexapro, I would wake up happy for the first time in who knows how many decades. Lately, however, I wake up and can hardly think of anything to get me out of bed. Good coffee usually convinces me. And this happens whether or not I have had any wine the night before. I exercise hard, regularly. (Would be Medusa without it!!) And eat a clean diet, am not heavy, etc. But would just love to wake up happy. As the day goes on, things improve. I agree about tackling something, anything, to get you going and thinking in a positive direction. And that does work. But it's close to 9:30 or 10:00 before I'm out there doing anything. Ahh, venting feels good. Thanks for listening.

I've read that some people can get used to certain dosages of depression medication and as time goes by you see some symptoms creeping in again. I took Celexa for about 8 months for GAD and for depression related to my menstrual cycle. I say that was my miracle drug. Along with diet and exercise and other techniques that my doctor taught me (like doing activities during daylight) I've been drug free since last year. I think that if Lexapro is not working for you like it used to it's time to go to the doctor. Of course you can always make changes in your daily activities, but if you're on medication right now that should be the first issue you should examine. Maybe you need a different dosage of Lexapro, maybe your doctor will prescribe a different medication, or maybe everything regarding your medication is okay, but you need to make some changes in your daily routine. Your doctor should figure this out for you. Good luck. :)

When I feel down nothing helps me like yoga. It is very relaxing and I always feel calm and smiley afterwards. I like to do it very early in the am. I've never really noticed it at any certain time of the day.
LD

Charlotte--I had a friend who went through this and talked it over with her doctor. I don't know how they resolved it but they did. It seems wise to keep one's doctor informed of any changes. I'll send some heavy scented fresh coffee your way so you will leap out of bed in the morning
:D

Don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say I have experienced the "morning blues" for periods lasting months at a time several times in my life. I am glad to hear I am not the only one! I would wake up just feeling like "what's the use" and then around 11 - 1 I would literally feel it "lift". Almost like someone gave me an injection of something. Weird! The only thing that helped was doing cardio first thing - but usually I was so down I couldn't make myself do it. I wasn't on any prescription. Good Luck! Marnie

Charlotte,
I never fight my depression anymore. I've learned to listen to it. For example, this year I got depressed right before my birthday, as I often do. Instead of trying to cheer myself up, it dawned on me that maybe there are things in my life I'm not happy with, and maybe my birthday depression is trying to tell me something. I tend to take stock of my life on my birthday, and the depression is causing me to take a closer look. I can see that there are some things in my life that are leaving me unsatisfied, and that I may not be using my full potential.

As long as you're taking the medication you need, and it's working for you, and you're not depressed all the time, an episode of depression may come along once in a while to try to tell you something. I say sit down with yourself and listen closely. Your depression may be an impetus for change.

HTH,
Nancy

Hello, my sister went through a deep depression, and took all kinds of antidepressants. They helped some, but we (my family, and friends prayed for her daily). It was through prayer that she came out of it. She is doing great today!! She will tell you it was prayer that brought her out! I am convinced that if the Lord had not intervened in her situation, she would not be here today!! I pray that the Lord will intervene in your situation!
Blessings,
Lynne

I also agree with Nancy. If I sit with depression long enough without trying to get rid of it I will take note of things I need to deal with or change. Many times the greatest life changes will come out of depression as long as its not completely debilitating. It's not fun to go through though.

I go through bouts of depression and anxiety, but it's not severe enough to warrant a doctor visit because it doesn't last long, maybe a week or two at the most. Then it disappears for a few months. It's worse at night, esp. if I have problems sleeping. I think the insomnia and depression go hand in hand.

I read in a medical journal that they are advising doctors to take a wait and see approach to depression, because a lot of depression is cyclical and in some cases, like mine, medication isn't necessary.

Charlotte... I am clinically depressed with a chemical imbalance in my system. I am a huge proponent of lots of exercise to boost endorphins. If I stop for whatever reason, I have trouble sleeping, feel depressed in the morning and generally am not a pleasant person. I used to take Paxil which made me the happiest I've ever been for awhile because it countered the chemical imbalance. Unfortunately, an 18 pound weight gain followed thereafter. Since then, there have been meds introduced which do not cause weight gain or loss of libido. My friend is on Cymbalta (her husband died suddenly) and she has lost 15 pounds and is sleeping better.

I also agree that prayer for guidance is important in any medical issue.

Good luck to you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.