Delayed immunization schedule

LisaMarie

Cathlete
I know that immunizations can be a highly controversial topic, and I'm not looking to debate the pros/cons here. We know that we are going to vaccinate--it's just a matter of whether we are going to do EVERY vaccination and whether we use an alternative, more spread out or delayed schedule.

Has anyone here altered the vaccination schedule? How did you manage it? Did you still give all of the vaccines?

I'm debating doing it this way also this time. I plan to do a lot more reading during the pregnancy. I'm also not sure how helpful the military drs will be on it. I'm curious to hear what others say also.

Hi Ladies,

I have never been in this thread and so sorry to jump in, but when I saw the topic I just had to!!!

I delayed ALL of both my sons (4 and 7) vaccinations. My first son had a reaction to the dtp ( we think it was that!!!) and after that I said no way. No 6 shots at a time, how the heck do you know what they are allergic too if you gave them everything at once???!!!!

I went every 30 days for the next vaccines. You need that long between them. The doctor wasn't happy about it at first, but I did not give in. I didn't think their little immune systems could handle such an assault. It took them longer to get everything they needed ( or I wanted them to have) but it was worth it.

The doctor's schedule all these shots for THEIR convenience. Not because they should be given that way or have to be given that way. Just to make it easier. They think parents won't bring them back for the rest so they give them all at once!!

You do what you think is best for your child.
elliemom

Elliemom-Did you do just one vaccination then every 30 days?

I'm thinking about eliminating ones such as the flu shot and rotovirus, as well as not continuing with the HepB, but I need to do more research. I'm still mad at the hospital for non-chalantly asking me if I wanted my son to get the HepB shot when I hadn't slept more than a few hours in the last couple days! I think my OB should have mentioned the shot to me at one of my appts so that I could make an informed decision. Ugh. Sorry for the vent.

Hep B is VERY important

I'd skip the flu shot (how old is your child ) and do they have any respiratory problems?

Rotovirus- no way!! It's had 3 recalls in the years since my 7 yr old was born, due to serious side effects.

DTP comes in one shot so you can't avoid that. Nowadays it Dtap, which is much safer. And I believe it's an inportant one.

Yes, I went back every 30 days for the next shot and never had any problems.

Give me a little info about your child and I vcan help you further
ellie

FYI there is an article in Parenting magazine about vaccines that I just read today. The article was pretty thorough but basically said to get your kids vaccinated.

I have not chosen to skip or delay the vaccines for my kids. I guess I am just too trusting of my doctor but have no problem when parents do make that decision for their kids.

I do know that certain states require vaccines before a kid can do to school.

Neither of my two kids ever received more than 2 shots at a time...I live in Canada, things are likely pretty different wrt our healthcare system....babies are not given flu shots, and I'm pretty sure Hep B isn't given until an older age. The only reason my kids got the Hep B shot was because we were going away on Holidays, and it came in conjunction with Hep A. we also had to pay for it. We also had to pay for the Chicken pox vaccine, but were highly encouraged to have it done. I also have a lot of faith in our pediatrician, and trust his advice, but we've never had 6 shots at once! It's such a controversial topic, it's hard to know where to look for solid advice.

For those who have had their kids get 6 shots at once, do they actually get 6 shots or 6 different vaccines? The most our kids have had is 3 at once and each one covered multiple things.

I am interested in this as well. I def. plan to vaccinate, but just this last time my dd got 4 shots at once and I said enough. She had to get caught up so she could start the LA4 preschool here. Now with the new baby (2 weeks today) I want to space them out a bit. I did get the hepb in the hospital. I believe it's a series of 3 shots. She won't get the flu shot, but I will as will my other children. Does anyone have a good website to recommend that we can look to for schedules if we do delayed vaccinations?

well you can get a waiver or something with vaccines to go to school. But I'd assume with just spreading them out you'd still have them all done before then anyway. ?

gosh i'm posting a lot tonight! we declined to start the hep b series in the hospital but our 2 month appt is on monday so have to decide what our schedule will be by then. We are considering putting off the hep b series until after 2 years, declining the flu and rotavirus at least for now, and moving forward with all others but on a modified timeline. I do like the idea of only one shot at a time but won't that get wicked expensive? paying for an office visit every month? I'd like to figure out a way to space out the vaccines safely and cost effectively.

I really like the idea of spacing them out.. only the poor kiddo will have to have more owies. :( I'm hoping the military drs will work with me on it. Is there a website showing how and when to space them out (like a schedule?) and good info on which ones are the ones worth getting or avoiding? I mean from a site that is worried about issues like this. I was thinking of just spacing them in the regular checkup appts except I may need more later on.

we also chosen to delay on our sons vaccines. There is a good book called the vaccine book which basically in laymans terms tells you the pros and cons of each vaccine and what it does and what its made out of. The dr who writes it does not try to advise you either way. he basically gives you the info that you will need to make your own decision.

We opt not get the hep b shots at birth. He will eventually get them before he goes to school but for right now its not important for him. He isnt at risk for Hep B. We only give him 1-2 shots per visit. I think my ped. gets a little fustrated with us but he understands because he is behind on their "sched".

I think its important to do what you feel is right for your child. These days with autism and not knowing where its coming from I rather lean to the conservative side with vaccines.

melissa

I second melissa on the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. It is the only truly neutral information I've found so far. There's soooo much inflammatory and unfounded information on the web. And when you put that next to public health and pharmaceutical backed information, it's really hard to cull the "truth". And the truth of it all is that we just don't know for sure what the effects are in many cases and so each family needs to do what they believe is best for their child.

Jess - I hope you get more support from the pedi than I am. The tone of the answers to my questions and the looks I got when I declined and postponed certain vaccines today really say it all. We are not seeing military docs although we are also a military family (I think in metro areas they allow us more choice than just the closest MTF?). Although your husband (or you if enlisted?) doesn't have any choice in vaccinations, we as family members do! Good luck.

Wendy

I have a 5 month old who only gets ONE shot every 3 months. I think the amount of chemicals they want to pump into babies at once is ridiculous.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.