Dehydration

tvan_horn

Cathlete
Hi ladies,

I haven't posted here much lately since my baby isn't much of a baby anymore, but I do check in frequently to see what is going on.

Any way, with warm weather coming I just want to share an experience I had while I was pregnant to remind you of the importance of staying hydrated.

I was pregnant during the summer of 2001 and my son was born in Oct. '01. I was hospitalized at 27 weeks with pre-term labor. I didn't even know I was having contractions, but I went to the dr. because I hadn't noticed the baby moving much. The put me on a monitor and realized I was having regular contractions.

The reason for the contractions was because I had allowed myself to get dehyrated while working outside. It was my own fault. I had intentionally decreased my fluid intake so that I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom so much.

To make a long story short, everything turned out fine. They stopped the contractions and gave me very strict warnings to stay hydrated and I had my son at 38 weeks. They did limit my activity for the rest of the pregnancy and I was not allowed to workout.

I just never realized all of the effects of dehydration until after this very frightening experience!

Thanks for listening and good luck!

Tina

Hi Tina,

You are so right about the effects of dehydration on the uterus. It is one of the most common causes of preterm labor, especially in the summer. Thanks so much for bringing this information to our forum.

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness
www.healthymomsfitness.com

Wow, thats for that info Tina. I try to drink lots of water but I have been itching to get out and work in the yard, plant flowers etc. I know now how important it is to drink water while out there.

Thanks again,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.