Define Cyberstalking

fit_fairy

Cathlete
Just out of curiousity how do you define it. I certainly don't think one-starring a thread fits the bit. So what exactly is it??

Well, it sort of does. I know that I have been instantly rated as a "1" the past two or so times I posted a thread. And honestly, what I wrote had no reason to be rated as low as they were comments to Cathe or something. However, it was hurtful because you start to realize that it is directed personally toward you. Before today, I don't think I ever even showed my "voice" on here, or my "attitude" so to be rated as a 1 thread was pretty rude and I didn't understand it. I think when people are saying they are being stalked, like LauraMax was for so long, then yes, I feel she has the right to say she is cyberstalked. I mean, she couldn't even post a San Diego fit coupon code for everyone as a nice gesture without being jumped on by 1-star raters. I can understand the feelings she has about it...

Clarissa

Cyberstalking is using electronic means to stalk a person.

A legal definition of stalking is (though definitions vary from state to state): A person who intentionally and repeatedly follows or harasses another person and who makes a credible threat, either expressed or implied, with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm is guilty of the crime of stalking. From http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/stalking/

I agree that one-starring doesn't meet the legal definition.

On the whole one-star thing. There are HUNDREDS of registered members on line here at any given time. Many of them who NEVER post. And a lot of them probably get a good chuckle out of one starting the people who they know they will get a rise out of. I think we'd all be surprised to find out that the people one staring us (yes, I've been there too) are people we don't even know who read our threads every day and screw with us. The last few threads that have been one starred by the way have stayed very low in the ratings. Which means most likely that more than one person one starred the thread since I know a lot of us 5 starred them to try and bring the rating up (usually we can at least get it back up to a 4). Also, the new ratings do not cut off at 10 ratings. They just do not show until there are 10 ratings. All 10 of those could be 1 star ratings, so it's not going to help in the long run if we have multiple low raters which I think we do. This is totally aside from the cyberstalking issue, but I've been wanting to say it all day without getting involved in any of the not so happy threads. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't think a one-star rating here & there would be considered cyberstalking, but when it happens every single time a person posts by a couple of people who apparently created their own webring & actually strategize about it (I mean seriously? Isn't there some lunch money from first graders you could be stealing instead?) I would call that cyberstalking.

I think there are many forms of cyberstalking. But I guess I would define it as some kind of repeated intentionally negative behavior by one (or more) person towards another.

Liann, I am glad my thread gave you a venue to make your point ;)

I have been one-starred many times and NEVER EVER did it cross my mind that some one might be cyber-stalking me. Now I am ascared :(

I wouldn't think a one-star rating here & there would be considered cyberstalking, but when it happens every single time a person posts by a couple of people who apparently created their own webring & actually strategize about it (I mean seriously? Isn't there some lunch money from first graders you could be stealing instead?) I would call that cyberstalking.

I think there are many forms of cyberstalking. But I guess I would define it as some kind of repeated intentionally negative behavior by one (or more) person towards another.

This goes back to my post on another thread of you can never really be sure who is one-starring. What you are going on is second hand info and frankly have been wrongly accusing people.

Liann, I am glad my thread gave you a venue to make your point ;)

I have been one-starred many times and NEVER EVER did it cross my mind that some one might be cyber-stalking me. Now I am ascared :(

But have you been one starred EVERY time? :confused:

Honestly, this has been going on for like a year now. I ignored it for as long as I could and never even really drew attention to it. But since Jonezie was kind enough to stick up for me after someone one-starred a totally innocent b'day thread just b/c it was mine, I felt compelled to finally speak up. And I'm glad I did. Heck, I've got nothing to lose, since I don't much come here anymore. Mostly b/c of the one-star cyberstalking.

This goes back to my post on another thread of you can never really be sure who is one-starring. What you are going on is second hand info and frankly have been wrongly accusing people.

And I apologized for that. What else would you suggest I do?

But have you been one starred EVERY time? :confused:

Honestly, this has been going on for like a year now. I ignored it for as long as I could and never even really drew attention to it. But since Jonezie was kind enough to stick up for me after someone one-starred a totally innocent b'day thread just b/c it was mine, I felt compelled to finally speak up. And I'm glad I did. Heck, I've got nothing to lose, since I don't much come here anymore. Mostly b/c of the one-star cyberstalking.

Probably not Laura, I'll give you that. And I think one-starring a birthday thread is pretty low. I just think one should be careful when discussing these issues and pointing fingers because really when all is said and done who knows who is doing it.

Probably not Laura, I'll give you that. And I think one-starring a birthday thread is pretty low. I just think one should be careful when discussing these issues and pointing fingers because really when all is said and done who knows who is doing it.

Well, thankfully whoever was doing it can't do it anymore. Maybe now they can go back to their sandbox & bully kids IRL.

Catherine I rated your thread 5 stars today :) You always make me laugh and have a good voice for reason.

With that said can I vote and make all my threads 1 star?? Well, if I can't I'm empowering everyone to vote anything I say 1 star to prove that it is truly no skin off my back.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.