December Pregnancy Update!

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! Its time for another update
happy.gif
!

Wow, so much has happened that I hardly know where to start. I'll start with child birth classes. My husband and I attended the two day/four hours per day session. I must admit, it was quite informative. Instead of spending a whole lot of time on breathing, they spent more time going step by step through all phases of childbirth. They also kept it fun and interesting. We saw Bill Cosby's comedy piece on childbirth. We got a step by step tour of the hospital from the point of admittance to the point of discharge. During our light lectures they had a ton of visual aids such as the props used to break water, vacuums, forceps, electric monitors, epidural stuff, a plastic strip which had cut out shapes of openings ranging from 1 to 10 centimeters dialated. She even acted out skits of what actual contractions could feel/look like at each of these stages. The 7 to 10 centimeters dialated contraction act looked more like the famous restaurant scene in "When Harry Met Sally"! Except substitute the pleasure sounds for painful sounds, hee hee. Also, I have always been nervous about the thought of possibly getting an epidural. The fear of the unknown type of thing. She took the time to explain play by play(and actually used a class member for a demo)of the position you are put in, the words the doctor will use with the medical team, how they find the area of injection, a sample of an actual needle used, how a very fine tube is inserted through the needle, and much more. In summary, I feel so much more informed and prepared for the entire delivery process now.

I had my doctors visit yesterday. They have me at 32 weeks with my belly measuring at 33 centimeters, and a five pound gain this month. They say that my progress is right where it should be. My ribs, the area just below the bra line, are so very sore. They feel bruised and tender to the touch. I'm told that this is just part of the expanding process. This expanding process has caused me to order a couple of bigger fitness tops from Dangerboy. I should have them next week. Until then, I am wearing jazz pants a size bigger with extra large tank tops. What I do is put the belt that is attatched to the microphone around the outside of the shirt under my bra line instead of my waist. It actually has the same effect as those Dangerboy tops, just not quite as professional looking.

There really haven't been any new or major changes this month other than the obvious growth spurts. Well I guess a big change would be my haircut. I really didn't mean to go as short as I did but there is obviously no turning back now. Atleast the pregnancy vitamins seem to speed up hair growth--hee hee! I'm still having hip and groin discomfort due to the softening of my ligaments in this area. This has caused me to talk through and coach about 50 percent of each my classes. One thing that has gotten a little better is the mental fog. I have actually been having some clear minded classes this past week. My diet is not as good as I would like it to be. I have given in to almost all holiday treats/cravings and will obviously be faced with even more as the weeks get closer. This in turn has caused me to retain uncomfortable amounts of water. I will definitely need to get a grip on this since the water retention does not help my ligament situation. The increased tension on the ligaments due to the extra water pressure aggrivates the situation. Not to mention that just being extra bloated is not a flattering feeling. My sleep has been on and off. Some nights are a nice sound 6 hours while others are a toss and turn 3 or 4 hours. The two main things that keep me up are heartburn and the baby kicking so hard and actively. He is a bundle of energy. Sometimes he is so crazy in there that I think he is pretending to be Tarzan swinging from side to side on my umbilical chord. Sounds crazy but thats really what it feels like.

I'm finding myself extremely emotional these days. I don't know if this is all pregnancy related since I do have a tendancy to get very emotional around the holidays. Also, my little buddy Addi(the black lab we are voluntarily basic training for Canine Partners For Life)is leaving us 2 days before Christmas and I am having a hard time preparing for his departure
sad.gif
!

Speaking of Addi and in closing, I wanted to thank all the Video Fitness Roadtrippers for their generous contribution to Canine Partners for Life which was made in honor of our(soon-to-be-hatched)baby boy. Yesterday I received a letter of acknowledgement from the organization stating that this donation was made and very much appreciated. It was a beautiful thank you letter which closed with "It is our pleasure to be the medium to convey this honorarium. Once again, Canine Partners For Life is proud and thankful to have been chosen for such a purpose".

Jon and I send our love and thanks to all of you for your very kind gesture.

See everyone next update
happy.gif
!

Hang in there, Cathe!

I want to thank you so much for these updates! My husband and I have recently started "trying", and it's been really interesting to read about all of the joys and "little downers" that you experience during pregnancy. Thanks for your honesty and humor!
happy.gif

I'll be thinking of you around Christmas when it's time for Addi to continue his training somewhere else. With all of the love and nurturing you and your husband gave him, I'm sure he will make a wonderful companion for someone who needs him.

Please be extra good to yourself these last few weeks and let your friends and family wait on you hand and foot! You've earned it!
happy.gif

Wendy G.

Pregnancy update

Cathe,

I love to read your pregnancy updates. They bring back fond memories of my first pregnancy 6 years ago. I had to laugh at the parallel you made regarding how the sounds made during labor reminded you of the sounds Meg Ryan made in her infamous scene in "When Harry Met Sally." I was so embarrassed when my second daughter was born because I felt like the sounds I was making were very similar to those sounds.

I must advise you the worst part of an epidural is when you have to sit still during a contraction when the doctor is administering the epidural! Your fitness level will certainly help you in remaining still if you decide to go that route. I had one baby with and one baby without an epidural. If you can avoid the epidural, I would strongly suggest it. You can push MUCH easier.

I can't wait to hear your "birth" story. Good luck to you!

Angie

Home stretch!!

Hi Cathe,

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Soon Eric Jonathan will be here, and you'll have many more wonderful experiences. I remember what a problem sleeping was for me in the last trimester of my pregnancies. It's just preparing you for those wonderful late night feedings.

Well, take care, and best wishes.

Valerie

Glad to hear you are doing so well:O)

Hi Cathe,

Just wanted to say...give Addie a big smooch from all of us before he leaves
happy.gif
and I am glad you are doing well.

One more thing..how short is that haircut?
wink.gif
...maybe Chris can post us a Cathe update picture
happy.gif

Take care and enjoy the Holiday Season!
nancy:O)

Addi

Cathy,
I am so sorry that you must part with little Addi )-: Do you think you will get another puppy?

I am glad to hear you're doing well during the home stretch of your pregnancy. I can't wait until you post a photo of Eric here! And think about how much fun he will be this time next year (-:

This is kind of like interval #7 in Interval Max

You know? After that 7th interval you're tired and you know the hardest part is still in front of you and you're kind of dreading it. And then, just like that, the last 3 intervals are over! And you realize that they only lasted a minute or so, and you can handle anything for a short time. So the good news is that these last few weeks fly by. The bad news is that the bloating, the heartburn and the discomfort sleeping will get a little worse. Every time you get miserable, try to picture that little baby inside you, what he's doing, is he awake or sleeping, is he smiling? That really is a whole little person in there right now.

With pregnancy #1, I spent the last 5 weeks sleeping in a recliner chair in our family room. I loved the back support, and it was right next to our kitchen (hardwood floors, this is important) and a bathroom. I had terrible heartburn, which aggravated the constant cough and cold that I couldn't shake until that little boy was born. Everytime I had a bad coughing jag, I'd run with my legs crossed (got that mental picture?) to the bathroom. It never went as smoothly as I wished. That's where the kitchen floor came in SO handy! Mopped up real easy! I hope you won't have to take such desperate measures, Cathe. (But if you do, stay away from carpeted floors.)

But that's as bad as it ever got. And when I was home with a happy healthy baby boy, I felt light as a feather carrying him around, I felt like I was getting MORE sleep, even though I was woken up throughout the night ... I guess all that led up to the birth was training. I think it's all a part of God's plan. I'm so excited for your special day to come. Can't wait to meet baby Eric.

Hi Cathe!

Thanks for posting this update - I love reading them. Too funny about the Harry and Sally thing....actually that's not far from the way it really is
happy.gif
!!

I have to agree with what someone said about the hardest part of an epidural is sitting still while they give it to you. But after that they are wonderful!!

Well, take care of yourself "sis" (wink-wink) and remember to let others pamper you now!
happy.gif

Bev K.
P.S. I too would LOVE to see a picture of you with your new haircut (and bigger tummy)!

can you believe its DECEMBER??

Cathe, this is your DECEMBER update! And little Eric is due in JANUARY!! You are getting so close! Boy can I sympathize with the discomforts you're experiencing. Especially the heartburn part. According to the old wives tales, that means that Eric will have a lot of hair. However, I had heartburn so badly I thought it would kill me with all three of my girls and they were all three as peach-fuzzy bald as could be, so I'm thinking that the old wives might be wrong on this one. Labor is nothing compared to the last couple of months of pregnancy, so you'll do fine. I remember with all three of my girls I cried more than once in the last month because I didn't have room to eat and I didn't have room to breathe and I couldn't sleep and I was totally miserable and it DOES get pretty doggone old before you're done. Bless your heart. -susan p

Hi Wendy!

Best wishes to you and your hubby on starting a family! Craig and I haven't quite decided yet... we better make up our minds soon -- the clock is ticking!
wink.gif
And be sure to let us know when you get that good news from the doctor!

Lynne

Oh gosh it's getting closer...

I really enjoy reading your updates and I can't believe it's December. I think being informed totally helps with the labor experience and knowing sort of anyway what to expect. At least you know when that last interval is over you will have a beautiful and healthy baby boy, and you will know it's worth it.

I am sorry to hear you will be parting with Addi, but at least you know he's going to a good home and you will be very busy soon.

Stephanie

Enjoy these last few weeks!

Hi Cathe - My baby, Noah, is three months old now and I can remember counting the days until my due date! I know that sore ribs feeling - very uncomfortable, I know! But I actually missed being pregnant after I had Noah. I know it sounds strange but I really missed feeling him move around inside of me. (I even missed my big belly!!) Towards the end I didn't even want to go out because I was sick of people asking me "when are you due" and "are you all ready for the baby" and all the usual questions and comments. But now I realize that it was such a great time in my life with all the waiting, anticipation and attention! Enjoy it! It's going to be over before you know it...... I started working out to your tapes about 3 weeks after my c-section and I got back into tip top shape in no time at all -- THANK YOU!!!

Hang in there!

Cathe,

I just had to reply to your update, especially since it's currently 3 am and I think I'm done with my sleeping for the night!
happy.gif
I hate to tell you, but that part only gets worse - I can't remember the last time I had a normal nights sleep... But, I'd definitely recommend that you discover the wonder of naps! That has really helped me, although it took me a while to finally give in and realize that I had to slow down.

It sounds like everything is going really well for you - I'm so glad to hear it! Take care, and hang in there - you are almost done!

m.
(only 2.5 more weeks for me!!!)

Glad to hear things are going well

Hi Cathe,

I'm glad to hear that things are going well although I'm sorry you are uncomfortable. Sounds like Eric is a kickboxer doing 90% on his jabs! Please give Addi kisses and hugs from me. I'm sure the time of year, your pregnancy and Addi leaving are all contributing to your feeling so emotional. I think I good cry now and again is good for us - sort of cleansing.

I'd love to see a pic of you with your short, short hair - it must be a joy 'cause its easy and quick to manage. Way back when I had a haircut I called my John Travolta (from Sat. night fever days) - it was that short and that style - I loved it - real wash and go - which was much appreciated when I camped in the Sinai desert that summer - but that's another story - I digress.

I just want to wish you and Jon and your little kickboxer a wonderful December, a joyous Christmas and the best New Year yet!

Judy

Sounds about right!

For my first pregnancy, the last months were fine (except for classes- I couldn't fit in those chairs with the attached desks). The second time I couldn't wait for it to be over- everything was a bit sore, except my hips which really hurt. He was quite a bit more active than my first.
Anyway, just wanted to say a bit about the epidural training. It is nice they prepared you for it. I would have been at a total loss, but have heard a lot from other moms. I really suggest trying without. Not so much because of the epidural, but because I think if you can avoid the episiotomy, it is worth it. I had one for my first, and it took weeks to feel better- my second was with nothin in a birth center, and I was fine immediately. The pain is pretty serious at the time, but i used an attitude shift, and concentreated on telling myself that "This is how it feels to get a baby out of my body." Believe it or not, with much concentration, that helped! Anyway, just wanted to add this and tell you not to make up your mind beforehand. Linda

epidural, episiotomy, etc.

Hi!
I hope nobody minds my adding my two cents! I had an epidural with my first baby and it was fine - no problems pushing at all. I did not have an episiotomy and kind of wish I had, because I had a very painful tear instead. I think everyone responds to childbirth, epidurals, etc. differently and it's hard to make up your mind for sure until delivery day! By the way, I had a C-Section with my second pregnancy (twins) and I loved it. I was terrified the whole pregnancy because it looked like a C-Section was highly probable, but I definitely preferred it to my vaginal delivery and would want another one. My recovery was actually quicker with the C-Section.
Cathe, wish you, Jon, and Eric all the best! Have a wonderful holiday! My first was born in January also, and the holiday season before he was born was so special! (of course I was not moving at the same time!!) Best wishes!
Erica

Cathe, I had my baby!!!

Yes, he came very early - my original due date was 1/7/00. I went into preterm labor (no one knows why) at 32w6d and delivered at 33w4d, 2 days before Thanksgiving. My little boy was very healthy at birth, just small at 4 lbs, 6 oz, so he had to stay in the hospital for a while, but he came home yesterday! I had a rough time dealing with leaving him behind in the hospital, plus just the blues from my pregnancy being cut short since I was loving being pregnant. But he is so cute and we love him so much that I got over all that and we are all doing just fine! I read your update and it sounds like you are doing great. Listen to me when I say ENJOY the last month(s) of your pregnancy, his/her little kicks and hiccups and your big stomach - if you are like me then you will miss these things when your little one is born. But not to worry, missing those things is normal I hear, and the joy of holding and playing with your baby soon overshadows that! Wishing you the best and looking forward to your next update!
Candice

Congratulations!

How exciting to have you and your little one doing so well. I know you will have a very Merry Christmas now.

Stephanie :)

Congratulations to you and your family

So glad that everything is fine with your little guy and you are both home. Have a very merry Christmas!

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.