De-hoarding fitness DVDs - resolution

Vee

Cathlete
I overspend on very few things and somehow the part of my brain that is quite conscious of waste/over-indulgence is asleep while I indulge. One of my indulgences is fitness DVDS. By my own personal standards I own too many.

I have decided to catalog my yoga collection and do a different yoga session every day (excluding days when I skip doing yoga for any reason) until I go through the entire collection before I let myself buy another yoga DVD. I have already given away any yoga DVD that I dont like, so my collection now is all DVDs that I enjoy.

I have also decided to give away all the non-yoga DVDs that I dont use (I strength train mainly at the gym) and prune down my collection to a few that I actually will use regularly. I have so many DVDs that I tell myself I absolutely love that I havent touched in over 6 months.

At an idea level the second part seems OK, but when it comes to actually giving away stuff, I wonder how I will fare and whether I really will only keep as many as I will use!

Has anyone else decluttered or planning to declutter? Please share.

I spent the entire morning cataloging my Yoga DVDs.

Yikes!

I have 51 Yoga DVDs (including Yoga Today downloads that I burnt onto DVDs and VHS transfers to DVD where I have combined several workouts onto a single disc) totalling to 5377 minutes of practise time. If I average 40 minutes of yoga every day, it will take me 135 days to get through my collection. I own 5 DVDs that I have never done even once.

And I still feel tempted to buy new Yoga!

Last edited:
I have also decided to give away all the non-yoga DVDs that I dont use (I strength train mainly at the gym) and prune down my collection to a few that I actually will use regularly. I have so many DVDs that I tell myself I absolutely love that I havent touched in over 6 months.

At an idea level the second part seems OK, but when it comes to actually giving away stuff, I wonder how I will fare and whether I really will only keep as many as I will use!

Well, let me help you out with your resolution, Vee! My address is...

Good luck with your resolution Vee.

I recently pulled out a pretty big stack of work outs that I rarely if ever do because I am not thrilled with them. I am going to put them up on Ebay or Amazon at some point. In the meantime I am perusing for NEW work outs to buy! I have some B'day money left over that is burning a hole in my pocket.

I guess it's an on-going cycle. :rolleyes: We will never learn, will we? :p

Oh my gosh, Vee, your post resonates with me in a big way! I'm like you...don't overspend on too many things (well, maybe a few other things) except for my fitness stuff (especially DVDs). I'm also feeling like I need to prune my collection down (though I manage to keep buying new ones)! I think I actually may need to start staying away from the forums! I see a new thread on a new workout...if there's a clip and I like it, out goes the credit card...it's like a vicious circle/cycle! lol Anyway...I feel your pain! :)

Well, you're obviously in good company, Vee, and add me to that list. I've really zoned in on my spending on fitness 'stuff' (including DVDs) over the past year, so I have that under control (although I currently find myself searching for hard core, killer AB DVDs, lol). The only other thing that I indulge in is my scrapbooking/paper crafting supplies.....that's what I'm currently trying to reign in.

Now, on your yoga workouts.....guess you better get moving on doing them, hugh? That's a LOT of yoga time to log! :p (yeah, and I'll share my address too)

Gayle

Vee: That's an impressive amount of yoga! I also spend waaaaaay too much on fitness items- DVDs, equipment, clothes, you name it. I am pretty disciplined in other areas of my life so I figure there has to be room for my impulsiveness somewhere. As long as it doesn't get me in debt or other financial trouble and DH doesn't care (he doesn't say a word, bless him) then I think I will continue to indulge. But it's getting crazy- I have 10 DVDs right now that I have yet to actually do. Not a bad idea to do them before I buy any others. :)

I have a different take on this, I don't feel like I can have too many. I get bored with things pretty easily, so having a stream of new dvds to try, keeps me going and motivated. It's worth the cost, which in reality is not all that much in the scheme of things. There are other hobbies/habits I don't have that would certainly cost me at least as much if not more (in dollars and health), like smoking and/or daily trips to Starbucks ;).

I do have some dvds, that I truly dislike, and those I will give away or sell at some point, others I like, but won't do very often because there is only so much time in a week for workouts, but will definitely keep them in case I ever want to throw in something different.

I do have a few dvds I have not even done yet, but not too many. Most of those I've never done, are just the freebies that come with bands and bosus and such.

If I use them, I save them--I thrive on variety. But I recently took a realistic look at my collection and sold what I didn't use on Amazon so I could buy Cathe, CLX and Kettlebells. And no, I didn't really make enough to finance my new purchases, but it did make a sizeable dent.:eek:

I, too, do not like to pay much for anything--I'm the Queen of clearance. But I will spend for quality workouts and equipment. And the workouts I sold weren't bad purchases for me initially: they served their purpose. But I weeded out anything that I had "outgrown" or don't do anymore because I've found other ones that are more effective or that I enjoy more. For instance, I sold all my Pilates workouts because I much prefer yoga. And I also had a few yoga practices that I bought when I was learning--and were great at the time--but I just don't do anymore.

Hi Vee,
I also got rid of all my DVD's besides my yoga ones a while back. That includes my step and high step, troy barbell set and dumbbell rack full of DBs up to 35# each. I now solely do yoga and take walks. I will be honest though, I sold my stuff. I needed the money and had stopped using it. I still need to sell my p90x too. I can't believe how much space that equipment freed up! I also have a serious collection of yoga DVD's but I am trying to be less dependent on them and have been developing my own daily practice. I use my DVDs more now just to get ideas and tailor my personal practice to what I am feeling and needing moment by moment. Some days I struggle with it but it is really helping me listen to my body and it's needs. Plus I really don't like using music in my practice much and a lot of DVDs are set to music. It is nice to see another yoga lover on here.

Namaste,
Monica

Hi Vee,
I also got rid of all my DVD's besides my yoga ones a while back. That includes my step and high step, troy barbell set and dumbbell rack full of DBs up to 35# each. I now solely do yoga and take walks. I will be honest though, I sold my stuff. I needed the money and had stopped using it. I still need to sell my p90x too. I can't believe how much space that equipment freed up! I also have a serious collection of yoga DVD's but I am trying to be less dependent on them and have been developing my own daily practice. I use my DVDs more now just to get ideas and tailor my personal practice to what I am feeling and needing moment by moment. Some days I struggle with it but it is really helping me listen to my body and it's needs. Plus I really don't like using music in my practice much and a lot of DVDs are set to music. It is nice to see another yoga lover on here.

Namaste,
Monica

Monica, You inspire me! On so many levels - getting rid of fitness DVDs, being self reliant for yoga, sticking with yoga and walking.

I like to freestyle my yoga sometimes too, but mostly I rely on DVDs.

hi Vee!

Your posts always inspire me to practice when I am not feeling up to it. I just finished my practice but didn't feel inspired tonight so I used some ideas from yoga journal. I am in a hotel this week and don't have any DVDs with me.

I think the reason that yoga is working so well for me is that it has gotten me to focus my efforts on the outside physical results so much, although they have just been an added and unexpected benefit of my practice. When I was doing cardio and weights I felt that for he most part I did it to obtain a certain look. When lifting weights I would get caught up I. Counting calories and trying to get in certain levels of proteins and fats. While I do follow a vegan lifestyle I find yoga has helped me develop a self awareness so that I just tend to naturally I eat what and how much my body needs. I love not keeping track of my calories in, calories burned, # of reps, etc. When I do yoga I don't feel like I am exercising; I stead I feel like I am learning to control my body, breath, thoughts and awareness. Sorry for the long ramble and I apologize in advance if there are a bunch of typos; I am typing all of this from my iPhone. Namaste, Monica

I got rid of a TON of workout vhs and dvds last summer that I no longer liked/used and sold them all on ebay. but.. with the money I got I just bought some new workouts. haha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.