David Wolfe Eating for Beauty?

PhyllisG

Cathlete
Is anyone familiar with this author/book? It is basically a raw foods book I believe. A friend recommended it to me and when I went to the bookstore to look at it they were sold out. Told me it is a "cult" book around here. They ordered more copies so I would be able to check it out. Our library system doesn't have it. Curious if anyone has any opinions.

I don't know this book, but out of curiosity, looked it up on Amazon. The prices are extremely variable. The highest was $325 for a new version and the lowest was $35 for a very used one! Do they really want that much for this book? I don't spend that much on my computer programs! Ouch!

On the other hand, it does sound interesting! I just can't get over the range in prices!

Tricia

I know. Those prices were crazy but on Wolfe's site and other raw food sites the book is $25! I am curious to see what my bookseller has it for. I could just go and ask him but I will bet it is $24.95. Hope someone else has it and has read it. I have a friend who is a raw foodie and she swears by this book. Told me to read it and then we could get together and talk about it and she would share her experiences. She said she had tons of other books but that this was the one to read.

I had it, and read it.

I think his 'Sunfood Diet" book might be more comprehensive (hard to recall, as both books are two I donated to my Acupunturist's reading library when I was cleaning out my collection of fitness and health books).

Wolfe is considered one of the top people in the raw-food world, and he's an interesting character. I first saw him on a SciFi reality show called "Mad, Mad House" (or Mad House?). Several people lived in a big house with a group of 'alternative lifestyle' people (including a Wiccan, a guy who liked to hang from hooks, and Wolfe--known as "Avocado" on the show, and representing the nudist lifestyle).

Are you interested in raw foods? There are other good books as well (and one reason I got rid of Wolfe's books are his sometimes erroneous info, like "olives are a good source of protein"...nope, pretty much all fat!, or "seaweeds/sea vegetables are a good source of B12"...nope, it's mostly a B12 analog, and raw-food groups like Hallelujiah Acres that have relied on sea veggies for their B12 were found to be deficient in the vitamin. Wolfe's more recent book on Superfoods does correct this info.)

Some other books that give a good overview of raw food:
"The Raw Food Revolution Diet" by Cherie Soria, Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina (good combination of overview of raw foods and recipe book. Davis and Melina are dieticiens, and provide the nutritional expertise lacking in some raw-food books. They are currently working on "Becoming Raw" which I think will be an excellent book, as their "Becoming Vegetarian" and "Becoming Vegan" are).

"Transitioning to Living Cuisine" by René Oswald (available from www.reneoswald.com recently, she's had a combo offer of the downloadable version and print version). In easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide to transitioning into higher and higher levels of raw food, with 7 different levels and recipes in each. I read over two dozen raw-food books before I read hers, and still found some info that isn't in other books. She also has a lot of free videos on Youtube (as does Ani Phyo) for the food prep part of raw food.

"The Live Food Factor" by SusanSchenck (good intro to raw foods. Very comprehensive, but a few cases of erroneous info).

"Reasonably Raw" by Frank Ferendo (a short book that looks at the main philosophies and ideas of many of the most well-known raw-food 'gurus,' including Wolfe. A good book to get an idea of what other authors you want to explore more).

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.