Damage Control!!!

Beth-B-Fit

Cathlete
Greetings from snow covered PA!

Hi! Getting our thread going. Are you following any plan or just trying to eat healthy? I have found that my weight does not change much no matter what I do or eat. If I'm super strict I can lose a few pounds-but it's no fun! So my eating plan is 80/20-80% clean and 20% treats.

Today: oatmeal, banana and almond butter for breakfast. Snack was chocolate quick bread (from a recipe using real ingredients at Ifoodreal.com). Lunch was a tiny bowl of chili, a corn bread muffin, and a Granny smith apple (can you tell I was at work and starving!) After I got home I had some strawberries and then did Cross Train Express Kickbox, Abs, and Biceps (to my pathetic ability of weights).

Feeling good and still rehabbing the hip and shoulder-so lots of stretching 2x/day. Dinner is wine, baked potatoes and salmon. I'm going to try not to have anything besides that!

Diana, how is your day going? So glad Daytona Beach is in our future. It will be awesome meeting you in person! This summer will be trying with having the dog here full time. The road trip will be my reward to myself for surviving!

Beth

We're Back!! I only gained 4lbs during my 2 weeks in Ireland. I say only because it felt like so much more. I only worked out the second day I was there. With the guided tour, there isn't much time to workout. They served croissants and scones at breakfast. I stuck to bacon (ham) and poached eggs on most days.

My food is normally a protein shake after my morning w/o, fruit and nut butter for a snack, lunch is usually some kind of protein and veggie and dinner is the same. I've made some protein pancakes with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 egg, and enough water to get the right consistency. Sometimes it's just nice to chew instead of having a liquid meal. Usually add berries and syrup on top.

It's a struggle to get this extra weight off. It usually just takes a few days of exercise, eating right and tons of water. I'm only down 1/2 a pound so far. It doesn't help that I was craving chocolate chip cookies and made them....and ate them. We'll see what the scale says in a few more days.

Yesterday I did Cardio Leg Blast with the 10# vest, then a BR w/o which was legs, then I decided to run at lunch. It ended up being a run/walk, my legs felt so heavy. Just curious, what types of exercises can you do/not do. My knee is still quite problematic at times. Stepping/running seem to aggravate it the most. Limiting stepping to once every so often and only running for about 30 minutes per session seems to be okay.

Beth-I love that your mention wine first! Is your son coming home from school for the summer with his dog? How is your oldest son doing? Still commuting for work?

Happy Friday Eve!

Hi!

Wed. I was able to do all of Lower Body Blast. I did not do the power lunges, just scissors. Today was in the pool-treading water. My hip is 95% back to normal. I should be able to get some biking in this summer-finally. I think I went three times last summer and had a lot of pain. DH is still in the market for a new bike-gives him something to look for. Weight wise I'm staying fairly light-25 lb. barbell for some exercises. Lunges are with no weights. Upper body I get the most workout in the pool. I can not do any form of a push up-maybe against a wall, I haven't tried. On the plus side, I'm able to put my coat on and my seat belt on with just a tiny twinge. So it's slowly getting better with the therapy exercises/stretches that I do religiously 2x/day. I'm down to going to therapy every other week now and going to once a month after next week's appt. I'm paying out of pocket at this point, but it's cheaper than a massage so I've justified it!

Workouts I can do are low impact, lower body weights, kickbox and low max. I'm dying to try a step with some impact and will probably do that Sat. or Sun. since I have PT on Monday to check to see if my hip locks back up. It did lock up once after a kickbox, but I've worked through that and it's been good for the above workouts.

Diana, your diet sounds really clean and healthy. And homemade choc. chip cookies are awesome! Now you have me craving some! I was off today so made some chili and oat bran muffins.

DS1 is still commuting about an hour away. He worked from home Tues. and Wed. since we had a blizzard here. He just bought our "good" car, so now we have to find something more dependable for ourselves. I like the Nissan Murano's. I like a 6 cylinder when it snows. We'll see. It takes DH so much time to research everything. He balances out my impulsiveness. DS2 is a junior at PSU and is supposed to have an internship this summer for his major. We're still waiting to hear from him what his plans are. I'm expecting him and his dog for the summer. She's adorable, but the poor cat is relegated to the basement the whole time. It's going to be a long summer. If they do come, we're getting a metal cage for the dog to be in when no one is home since she chews anything stuffed.

Off to bed for me...

Beth

Today I did BR RTC Day 2 in the morning and RWH LIHI BSB at lunch. I did get out for a 30 minute walk to finish up my steps for the day. I need to plan better since I'm still over on my calories. It is nice getting back to my routine after vacation. I suffer with recurring bicep tendinitis. I still have to be careful with pushups, chest presses, chest flys and tricep dips. I did PT for 3 months and then couldn't do any chest work or dips, anything that causes my elbow to go past my side-like dips or tricep pushups for almost a year. I recall doing a lot of bicep, shoulder and ab work during this time. It was very frustrating and I still have to be careful.

It sounds like you are healing nicely. Keep up the PT. Being able to do the day to day activities is most important. The last time I had my Rogue in for service, I took a look at the Murano. The new ones are so sporty looking! My Rogue does great in the snow.

B-protein shake
S-Banana
L-protein pancake w/ 1/2 cup blackberries and 2 TSP lite syrup
S-flat out flat bread light with 2 tbs peanut butter
D-Lean ground beef, 1/4 C green chile, 1/4 avocado, 2 tsp shredded cheese

It's Sunday already. Yesterday I mailed gifts from Ireland to my son in San Diego. Then I went shopping at Gordmans' looking for some deals since they announced they are foreclosing. I found Easter gifts for granddaughters! Later I went to Kohls and picked up some workout capris and tanks for our road trip. I have a few things that are suitable for when I go the gym. I certainly couldn't wear my home workout stuff in public!

No workout to report for Saturday and I ate pretty poorly too. Not sure why I'm sabotaging myself. Today was LIHI CST and abs #2 plus BR RTC Day 3. The BR w/o said it was arms & abs, it was really chest and abs. After lifting heavy in CST I physically could not do any more pushups. I changed some of the exercises-that is the beauty of the Real Time Challenge. I do so much better with my food when I workout in the morning. It just sets the tone for the day.

B-1/4 oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder
S-2 T peanut butter
L-Protein shake with rebuild, protein powder, 1 C frozen spinach, banana, 2 C water
S-TBD
D-TBD

Off to shower and grocery shop.

bbl

Hi!

Diana, don't beat yourself up about your diet. You eat very well so much of the time! Funny that you went shopping Sat. and got some stuff for the trip. I ordered a pair of capris yesterday from Sierra Trading Post to wear on the plane. It is so fun to plan and think about what I'll take! I ordered a new workout bra, too. I hope it fits!

Today I had to go to the gynocologist about an abnormal result on the HPV test. She checked the cells and all is well. I'll have another test for it in a year. It was so nice seeing a woman gyno.

Workout wise I did Athletic Step from STS Shock Cardio on Sat. Sun. I walked on the treadmill and did 20 min. on elliptical. I'm off to PT in a few minutes to see how the SI joint withstood Athletic Step. I've got lots of muscle pain all through my quad and butt since those muscles are having to get used to being used in the right way again. It can get annoying how long this is taking and how much stretching I have to do at times.

Diet wise: clean eating with some ice cream the past two days. I'm good with that!

Saw on the news that the sun hits the equator equally today so it's the same length for day and night!

Beth

The therapist said my right leg is working 3x as hard as my left when I work out and that accounts for all the muscular aches and pains. All was good though structurally! I counted my 1.5 hour workout at PT as my workout for Monday. Today I'm doing something at home-maybe lower body weights. Tomorrow the pool and hot tub to get stretched out after work. We're going to computer records on Thursday so I have an extra long day tomorrow to watch a video that wouldn't load on either browser I have on my home computer.

Beth

Glad to hear your test results came back ok. It sounds like your PT is helping and you are able to w/o again. I guess I thought all hospitals were using electronic records. I'm sure there will be a huge learning curve going from paper to electronic.

The scale isn't budging and I'm butting up against a number I never wanted to see again. It took years to get below that number and I've maintained it for close to 8 years I guess. Time to tighten up the diet. I'm just eating too much and I can easily see that on myfitnesspal. I'm going to try for 2 shakes a day and dinner for the next 3 days and see if that jump starts the scale.

Yesterday I did LIHI legs with my 10# vest. My legs were jello at the end of that w/o. My right quad feels tired and my knee is swollen again. It's not hurting too much. Like your therapist mentioned to you, I too have an imbalance going on. I have a BR w/o on tap for today. I'm loosely following the S&S/RWH rotation. I was doing that rotation when I left on my trip.

Yesterday's food:
B-protein shake
S-2 tablespoons PB
L-2 eggs over 1 can chicken and roasted vegetables
S-pre-made protein shake & 2 chocolate chip cookies (what was I thinking)
D-1 1/2 homemade mexican chicken breasts
S-2 pieces dark chocolate

bbl

Today I did a 45 min BR circuit with the weighted vest and at lunch I did Insanity PCC. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
B-post w/o protein shake
S-banana & 1 tbs peanut butter
L-Post w/o protein shake
S-flat out flat bread w/1 tbs almond butter
D-planning on Mexican chicken breast and roasted veggies
I've had 144 ounces of water so far and am just over 12K steps.

Looks like you're going low carb and high fiber with all the veggies, protein, and nut butter. I eat so much better days I work. Maybe I should pack a lunch every day and eat that at home! I may not be kidding....

Double workouts and 12K steps! That darn scale will surely budge. I ended up doing STS Cardio Boxing workout yesterday. I'm still trying for total body movements without weights. I can feel it in my back today. My hip is fine with all the cardio in that (jumping). What I like about that one is that it's not all jumping-it's there for a few minutes then you're back to upper body punches.

Today I'll go to the pool after work-what I consider total body treading water for 1/2 and hour.

I have not weighed myself for a few days after being home for 3 I don't want to know!

Beth

I recall my arms/back/upper body being sore when I started swimming class for tri-training. Glad your hip is cooperating. Planning and prepping your food even when you are home is a good way to stay on track. I've gotten away from food prepping since I work from home. I do like to have some kind protein prepared on the weekend so I have something to re-heat at lunch. Can you tell me what brand of collagen you use and how you use it. I've been doing more research on this and would like to give it a try.

Well today didn't go quite as planned. I didn't w/o in the morning since I was waiting for the roof repair guy. Well he ended up being late and taking much longer than anticipated. After all that, he doesn't know where the leak is coming from and said the roof looks great. He caulked around all 3 skylights and all the other stacks etc on the roof. By this time it was afternoon and I had meetings. No workout/poor eating. I did manage a walk this evening to get in my steps.

B-1/4 C oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 C blackberries
S-flat out flatbread & 2 tbs peanut butter
L-Tyson grilled chicken breast
S-Banana and m&m's (ugh)
D-protein shake

I just signed up for the live cleanse that starts April 3rd-it's $49. Here's the link if you are interested: https://shop.simplegreensmoothies.com/products/freshstart

It's the same plant based 21 cleanse I've done before but with new recipes. I also signed up for the live cleanse, this is a closed FB group where are the cleanse participates collaborate.

Hi!

I sometimes use Great Lakes Gelatin. I've gotten away from it lately, though.

You had the roof guys over the same time we had the plumbing and heating guys over! Some water valve in the furnace stopped working-$1200 dollars later. Ugh. At least you've got your new house to look forward to! Glad to hear you got your steps in. And really except for the m&m's your diet looks pretty good. I still use some of the smoothies you sent me form the cleanse you sent me! I don't think I'll buy the fresh start one. But thanks.

Today I did the All Step workout from Xtrain Express. It was about 25 minutes cardio, some shoulder weights that I added onto my therapy for my shoulder and used super light weights, 10 minutes abs, and stretching. All is good. My hip is fine. I thought about what the PT said about my right leg working 3x as hard and have decided to do shorter cardio. I really like the workouts of Xtrain Express-Leaner Legs is my all time favorite leg workout anyway + I can do all the abs I want and there's lots of them on those discs.

The pants I got are too big. I hate shopping! I'll have to try the bra on, but it looks big. I'd like to go shopping, but for me it's an hour away. Maybe this weekend since there is no soccer on.

Off to bed. The computer is ok at work, but I'm tired!

Beth

Nice w/o! I definitely have a dominant side. It's not surprising though with my foot and knee issues. I took back 2 of the 3 pairs of capris.

Well the scale isn't moving much, at least is not going up. Yesterday I did a BR w/o in the morning, walked at lunch, and did PHA in the evening. I'm finding as I get older that my body responds better to heavy weights and circuits. I do throw some hardcore cardio from time to time. Imax 3 and BM2 Cardio Blast are still a couple of favs for me. Too much stepping hurts my knee though-so CCC is good one.
b-protein shake
s-flat out flatbread w/peanut butter
l-protein pancake
s-m&m's (they are gone now)
D-2 pork chops & asparagus, 1/2 glass wine, 1 dark chocolate square

Not sure if I told you that our furnace died on Thanksgiving. New furnace, upgrade electrical, new igniter on gas fireplace=$8,000. We did a 6 mos same as cash deal and are trying like mad to get it paid down as much as possible. We will probably have to take out another home equity loan. Our current home equity loan will be paid off in July. It's always something. We aren't moving any time soon, unfortunately. The longer we stay here the more money we have to put into this house. I'd rather put money into my new house. UGH. This summer we hope to replace all the flooring and paint the inside of the house. That's going to be an ordeal for sure.

bbl

Isn't it great being a home owner! You have definitely had a lot of upgrades done on your house. Fortunately I think you'll get that money back when you sell since Colorado is a growing state. We were hoping to do a few windows this summer. After DS2 is done college I think I'll feel better about doing more home projects. I really want to put a seat/bay window area into the living room for a reading nook. We're also thinking about making part of the downstairs a bedroom/bath area and adding on. DH wants to keep this house as a home and use the place in DE (if and when we ever get it) as a second home instead of moving there. So if we do decide to stay here we need a bigger bathroom downstairs and somewhere to sleep!

I had the best breakfast today: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup water warmed up/cooked in microwave then mixed in 1T of chia seeds and a squirt of maple syrup. I used up my flax meal yesterday and wanted to try the chia seeds with it today. It worked great! The chia have more fiber so I'm hoping I won't snack now till lunchtime. My goal is to STOP SNACKING all the time! I'm also forgoing dinner 2 or 3 nights a week-kind of intermittent fasting.

The computer at work is going to be good...I just need to figure out how to get to where I need to be for each resident faster. There is so much information on it.

Beth

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Workouts:
Friday-walk
Sat.-CTX Power Circuit workout
Sun.-pool/water jogging

What are you up to this weekend?

Beth

Yesterday I did Ramped Up Upper Body from Strong & Sweaty. I also went to a surprise 21st birthday party for my niece. She was able to come home from school in Hawaii and surprise her mom (my sister). Her coming home was a surprise to my sister, and the party was a surprise to both of them. It all worked out great!!! I did have 2 half slices of pizza and a small piece of ice cream cake. Other than that, my food was on point yesterday.

The scale isn't moving much and I decided to take a break from it today and probably tomorrow too. This morning I did GS Legs and HIIT Circuit Lower Body & abs 1 from RWH. I'm thinking of moving on to GS and Xtrain for a bit. DS2 and I going to look at a couple houses today.

....later

Hi Beth! Today I did a BR w/o in the morning and GS BSB at lunch. I took a short walk early evening but haven't met my step goal yet. Maybe I will before the night is over. I'm looking at the 90 day xtrain undulating rotation. At this point, I'm really liking circuits and heavier weight training.
B-post workout protein shake
L-protein pancakes made with 1 Scoop prot. powder, 1 egg, 1/4 C coconut water and half cup blueberries-delicious!
S-2 tbps peanut butter
D-Lean ground beef, 1tbs cheese, 1/8 C green chiles, sliced tomatoes

bbl to see what you are up to.

Hi Diana!

Thank you! I got the cleanse you e-mailed and read through the intro. When are you starting? No coffee??!! I'd need a week to detox just off the coffee. April 3rd might be a good day for me to start. We're going to Penn State 4/1 for parent's weekend.

Yesterday I did CTX 10-10-10 with triceps. Had book club last night and ate none of the Dove bars-just the veggies with hummus spread. I've been trying to keep my intake of fruits and veggies higher.

I like circuits, too and hope to get back to ones that have shoulder exercises that I can do. CTX is really feeling good though-shorter cardio for my weak leg and then do what I can of the weights. I have not attempted any chest exercises except in the pool. Baby steps! My plan for today is Leaner Legs after work.

Gotta run(only figuratively, unfortunately!)

Beth

Wow, that is great restraint to pass on Dove bars! Nice job with CTX!! I haven't done that series in forever. At this point it would be too much stepping for me. I can only step about once a week and then let my knee recover before I can do it again. It's pretty frustrating since I love step. I'm missing doing BodyMax, Intensity, Imax 3 etc. Definitely follow Dr.'s orders on lifting. I'm still cautious when doing heavy chest work or triceps work where my elbow goes beyond my body with weight(s)-triceps pushups or dips are especially problematic.

My plan is to shop on Saturday, food prep on Sunday and start on Monday. I've already gone through my pantry and marked off all the items on the grocery I already have. I do not give up coffee. I drink 2 cups of black coffee each day and am not willing to give that up. I do like the dandelion root tea as an alternative.

Yesterday was just a BR w/o in the morning. My lunch workout was overtaken by long running meetings. No workout this morning due to my ortho appt. The orthodontist says I'm on track to get my braces off in July. That puts me right at the 2 year mark. I think I can get in a w/o at lunch.

bbl

Monday sounds good to me, too! I am in. That recipe with sweet potatoes and lentils-I might make it tonight!-looks fantastic. The smoothies look like a great way to get more fruits and veggies in, too. Glad you're not giving up coffee-me either. I think it's protecting my dad from getting dementia-seriously! He drinks 4-5 cups a day and has had diabetes since he was 21. His dad got dementia as well. I think my dad is at high risk and I think the coffee keeps his blood or vessels or something in good shape. I'll go to PSU Sat. and then prep on Sun. Tomorrow I'm going to figure out what I need to get. I have a lot of the items already, too.

I went to the pool today for 1/2 hour. Feeling great! I think you're smart to only do step once a week. The nice thing about CTX is they are fairly short cardio segments. Tomorrow I'm going to do the kickbox/bicep one. I did Leaner Legs yesterday and have much less doms then last time. I'm slowly getting back. I might do the chest one Friday and then take Sat. off.

Off to make dinner(sweet potato rounds with lentils on top sound good!)

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.