Damage Control September!!!

Beth-B-Fit

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

Just realized it's the 5th and a new month already! Diana, how was your trip to CA? LL, how is the weather at the beach? Do you have lots of biking planned? Did you take any DVDs and equipment with you this year?

I biked yesterday for an hour. Today will be heavier leg weights (I'm thinking Gym style legs).

Beth

I had a wonderful vacation with my CA family. I didn't take any w/o's with me but did run twice and walked as much as we could. We went to the beach one day too. I had a wonderful birthday week for sure!

My arm is getting worse so I will be scheduling a Dr. Appt. I can't pull up the covers at night, pour coffee, pull clothes out of the wash, put away dishes from the dishwasher etc. These are everyday activities. The upside is my left hand/arm is getting stronger although it will probably never be as coordinated as my right hand/arm. DH thinks I have carpal tunnel tendinitis. I have the wrist pain and tingling and then the arm pain too. I've been stretching my wrists and forearms but I still have quite a bit of pain. I set up my equipment today for STS C&T. I can barely get the clips on and off my weight bar.

bbl

Diana, Happy Birthday!!! Glad you had fun in CA! Sorry to hear about your arm. It's probably good for your brain to do things left handed as well as it getting stronger. Doesn't it feel like the older you get the more you have to modify? It does for me.

I did pool yesterday for 33 minutes. It's going by quicker or I'm getting stronger in it because the time just flew. Today will be a lowish impact workout. Meaning sometimes I put in a low impact dvd but then instead of air squats will do some jump squats or not use the discs for jacks. I might do Low Max though. We are going to PSU tomorrow to take DS2 a suit for internship interviews next week and I don't know if I'll get a workout in before we go.

Beth

I ended up getting a massage and had her work on my arm a bit. She uses heavy pressure and I feel like my whole triceps area is bruised. It hurts to touch or even laying down if it happens to press against the bed. It's so painful. The swollen part of my arm, well it's no longer swollen today. I do have a Dr. appt for tomorrow though. This pain is preventing me from doing day to day tasks and has not been improving.

I did a BR w/o this morning. I had my workout room setup for STS C&B, but that was not going happen. I hope to get back to weights soon.

Beth-Well I definitely have to modify more, but it doesn't bother me for the most part. I don't expect to be able to do what I did when I was 20. I bet you probably are stronger in the pool, that is awesome!! Do you swim laps the entire time? Good luck to your DS. What kind of internship is he looking for?

LL-are you in school mode now? How are you and the kids adjusting?

bbl

Hi!

Just took a walk today. I'm considering it a rest day. We're leaving soon for PSU. DS2 is a Health Policy Administration major with a minor in computers. He really wants to work on the computer aspect of health care. I still think he should have gotten his RN/Bachelor's of Nursing degree. Oh well...I don't swim many laps-I'm more of a counter and count out 100 reps of different moves-scissors, treading, laps. It keeps me from getting bored!

Diana, Let me know what the doctor says about your arm. It sounds pretty painful. Do you do a lot of computer work with it? Good job getting a BR workout and your steps in. I ended up doing Low Max yesterday-nearly 6,000 steps in that workout!

Beth

Today is a rest day for me too. I had a Dr. apt this morning. The diagnosis is tendinitis. He said it's getting worse because I waited to long to start treatment. The treatment is to ice 3 times per day for 20 minutes, with at least an hour between icings. I also need to take ibuprofen regularly for 3 -5 days and then back off as the pain/swelling decreases. I should continue wearing the wrist brace and the elbow strap. Also, stop doing anything that causes pain. That's going to be hard to do, but I will do my best. It is my right arm and I do use it a lot. I try to use my left sometimes but am not as coordinated.

One of my nieces is in nursing school. She got her Bachelors in Health Care Management before starting nursing school. She graduates from nursing school in December. I like counting too! In my swimming class we would have to start with a 300-500 meter swim, and I thought that was hard. Then they broke up the laps into different strokes and towards the end, we received one on one attention to work on weak points. I do miss it sometimes. Nice job with Low Max and all those steps. If I don't do any cardio, my steps are low.

Glad you have a plan in place to ease the tendonitis. Just keep moving somehow!

We had a really long day at Penn State yesterday. Traffic was terrible and it wasn't even a football Sat. I guess a lot of people go back for games on Friday. We got to spend a lot of time though with DS2 and got to meet his girlfriend. She is great. The suit fit, too!

It was nice to sleep in today. We're watching soccer now and the Penn State/Pitt game later before meeting up with my parents for dinner and cards. I'm hoping to get a workout in this afternoon. What are your plans this weekend? In between the icings, of course!

Beth

Hello!

Hope your weekend is both fun and productive. We leave tomorrow early for a few days at the beach in DE. I'm packing and getting stuff ready today. I did end up working out yesterday-ICE Rockem Sockem with abs. Dinner was fun last night, but no cards since the Penn/Pitt game didn't was on TV.

Be back Friday!

Beth

I can't remember what I did Saturday. Sunday was STS Disc 31-C&B and Disc 32-plyo legs. Today was a BR w/o in the morning and STS disc 33-SBT. There are a few exercises I can't do with my injury. I had to drop the weight for side lat raises and rear delts. I also subbed standing dumbbell bicep curls for the incline curls on the ball, and I used a much lighter weight. I'm doing what I can for the remainder of STS.

I joined a challenge at the gym and went and got my beginning stats. They basically say if you can't kill it or grow it, don't eat it. It's very whole 30 like. Of course, I'm making chocolate chip cookies right now. One way to get rid of the chocolate chips and can send the cookies to work with DH.

I did some shopping over the weekend and we took MIL out to dinner for her birthday. She wanted mexican food. I ordered chicken fajitas and didn't have the tortillas. I ate the chicken, green peppers and guacamole. Not too bad.

Beth-Nice job with your w/o! Glad you got to spend time with DS and that you like his GF. Enjoy your week at the beach, what fun.

bbl

Last edited:
Hi! Glad to read you are able to keep doing weights. Will you finish STS before the road trip? Speaking of the road trip, I read Cathe's posts about the hotel being closed and they're looking for an alternate place. Fingers crossed they work all this out. I used my new(ish) suitcase on vacation and really liked it. The beach was relaxing and fun. I gained 3 pounds, but am back to regular eating/drinking now. I like that grow it or kill it formula. You can grow coffee beans and grapes, right?! Can you have wheat products or is that too much processing?

I need to meal prep today, do some wash, and get my workouts back on track. All I did on vacation was get my steps in-which was really relaxing! DH likes to get steps in now, too; and we took some extra walks to make it happen, so I'd say this tracker is good for one's health. He doesn't want a tracker-just uses my info!

What have you been up to this week?

Beth

I've been keeping with the BR workouts and fitting in STS as my arm allows. I did LIHI Legs with the 10# vest the other day and my quads have been so sore. Yesterday was C&B and today will be Plyo legs and SBT. I do have to modify lateral raises, rear delt flyes, and some bicep curls. The incline curls on the ball are out, so I just use lower weights and do standing dumbbell curls. I should finish within the next week or so. I'm not seeing the same results I had the last time though. I looked much better in May/June when I was doing double workouts and not traveling. I'm sure it's due to all the traveling and being off track with the program. Also, I was disappointed with my starting stats showing 35% bodyfat. It seems high with all the weight work I've been doing. The eating plan is basically higher protein and fruits/veggies. Eliminating processed foods so wheat is a no no which doesn't bother me at all. I don't eat much bread or bread products anyway. Black coffee is fine, which I wouldn't give up anyway. :) I use their meal plan as a guideline and limit processed foods, sugar, etc.

It sounds like you and DH were able to enjoy a relaxing vacation. Nice job breaking in your new suitcase. I hadn't seen the post about the hotel changing. Did you see the message about cancelling the reservation so you don't lose your deposit? I hope we can still get an ocean front room, it is so worth it. Within the next week or so I need to book my transportation from Orlando to Daytona.

bbl

I did cancel the reservation. They said they would start refunding on Monday. Did you see where if you get there Thursday you have to stay at a different motel and they will shuttle you over on Friday. It's getting complicated, but will be worth it!

Back to work for me today. Yesterday I did 4DS kickbox and today was my 30 min. pool workout. I really need to do mostly low impact I think. I'm planning on breaking out my weight vest for walks this fall. Nice job with STS! I've been eating clean and not snacking for two whole days now. I'm already within 1 pound of where I was before vacation. Poor DH had some digestive issues. We're just not used to eating much richer food. But it was tasty!

Have a good weekend.

Beth

Hi! How is your Monday going? I got kick max low impact premix in and then cooked up some protein and veggies. Doing volunteer work at the local library in a few minutes and then playing cards later. Busier than I want to be, but I at least I'm not bored! Have you heard about a trail in Spain that people hike called the camina de santiago? It's very long, Catholic based I think. They are having a meeting about it at church tonight. I read a book about it, but haven't decided if I'll go tonight.

Hope you're feeling well.

Beth

Monday I did Imax 3 and yesterday I did Disc 35-Plyo Legs. I'm hoping to get back to weights but arm hurts too bad. I couldn't get the clip off my barbell to set up my weights for C&B yesterday so I ended up doing plyo legs instead. I mowed the lawn at lunch yesterday since it's been over 2 weeks since I mowed it last. It was not an easy task with the grass so long. DS2 came over yesterday and picked up a few more things. I got him to run the trimmer around the perimeter of the lawn. DH jokes that he's moving out one piece of paper at a time. Oh, I needed to walk a bit last night to finish up my steps and I ran for 5 minutes. I'm trying to find out if my foot and knee can handle running. I do miss it, and fall/spring is the best time to run for me. I'm also considering joining the rec center. The gym I go to has the best classes. I'm really feeling housebound since I work from home. I'm not complaining, but I really need to get out more.

You are getting in some great workouts. I saw the great pool they have at the resort. Make sure to bring your swimsuit. We are pretty busy with the RT but it would be nice to take a swim. I have not heard about that trail in Spain. I just looked it up and saw that it is 500 miles. Is this something your church would visit? Would you go?

bbl

Between mowing, IMAX 3 and Plyo Legs it sounds like you could handle some running! Rest is probably the best for your arm. I know it's helped my shoulder immensely. I've been following a primarily lower body rotation now for a while and count hold weights, kickbox and pool as my only upper body work. I go for two week rotations and factor in work days. Here's how it looks:

Tues.: Heavy legs
Wed.: Pool
Thurs.: Low Impact cardio
Fri.: Rest or Wild card day
Sat.: Pool or Rest
Sun.: Endurance Legs
Mon.: Kickbox
Tues: Low Impact Cardio
Wed.: Pool
Thurs. : Heavy Legs
Fri.: Wild Card
Sat.: Pool or Endurance Legs
Sun: Rest
Mon.: Kickbox

I give myself options depending on how I feel. Wild card is: walk, bike, machine at gym or step. They clean the hot tub on Tues and Fri so I like to do pool on Wed and Sat. So far this works for me and I like the variety and knowing what's coming up.

I did PS Legs yesterday and feel new muscles in my back/butt were used. I'm still not at 100% on my right side, but don't feel like anything is out of place. Today is my regular pool day.

I know what you mean about getting out of the house. It sounds like a good idea. No, I'm not going to Spain! We just read a book about a woman who went and walked that trail. Although it sounds like a good challenge!

Beth

This morning I did a BR workout, the last day of the real time 30 day challenge! I had a ton of meetings but was able to get out and walk at lunch time. I must going through "the change". I haven't been sleeping very well and the night sweats are killing me. I had a hysterectomy years ago but they left my ovaries so I wouldn't go into early menopause. I'm not really sure if there is anything I can do about. Any suggestions? The rec center would give me options with their machines. I could use the leg press, leg extension, and leg curl machines as well as the squat rack. I could go heavier and not have to worry about using my arm. Plus I could swim. I can do a lot of things, but just picking up the weights is painful.

Your rotation looks good to me. I need to focus more on lower body and abs, my problem areas. If you ever want to go to Spain, I'm game to be your travel buddy!

bbl

Hi! I had months and months of hot flashes. I just rode them out and hoped it was revving up my metabolism and burning extra calories. I still get them occasionally-seem to come on when I get stressed. I would put my head in the freezer for a while if I got really hot and still wear layers to adjust body temp.

Good job finishing the BR challenge! I was supposed to do Low Impact today, but felt like Body Max 2 cardio so I did that with some LI modifications (i.e.-6 inch step and less jumping). Then I tacked on the ab workout-short and sweet. I will probably take tomorrow off-the third day in a row of work I'm usually tired. BTW: I figured it out and I have 7 shifts until I'm off for the trip! I love count downs.

I think for me the pool is helping my shoulder. It's light resistance, and I've had no pain in it for at least a week. I'm still not rushing back in though. It's just not worth it! If it hurts to pick up weights, I wouldn't do it. Can you get someone to put your weight vest on and then walk with it? That's an excellent workout-especially if you put some hills in, too.

I'll keep that in mind about a trip to Spain! I do have my passport!

Beth

Yesterday I started another BR workout series. It's called Advanced Boot Camp and they also have an overtime segment. The workout itself is only 12 minutes and overtime is 6 minutes. I did day 1 + OT yesterday and Day 2 + OT today. I considered myself an advanced exerciser, but not after this. I was dying by the end of each of these w/o's. Then I followed up with my own ab work. They take around 25-30 minutes total and I do my warm-up while she's telling us what the workout will be. I went and weighed in with my coach at the gym and am down 2#'s. Yesterday was a cleanse day so I think it is artificially down. I'm cleansing today too. My weight is holding pretty steady as of late.

BM2 is one of my favorites as is the original BM. Great work!! I agree, being injured is just not worth it. I do wear my vest for almost all my workouts. I love counting down too! I was talking to my sister, she said she also stuck her head in the freezer. She had a hysterectomy and they removed her ovaries too. She uses a low dose hormone patch that seems to work well for her.

bbl

Hello,

Yesterday I did the pool. Today I've decided to try Plyo Legs from STS disc 35. It's an Endurance leg day. Tomorrow is a kickbox day-havent' decided what to do yet though. BR sounds TOUGH! I need to do a cleanse. I made a coffee cake yesterday and definitely ate too much of it. I'm 6 lbs above my goal weight now. GRRR. Next week I'm on the harder hall at work so may lose some then. It's the only good think about that side! At least it's just 5 days total-which means 5 more shifts! I like that it's counting on one hand now. Glad I'm not the only one to stick my head in the freezer! I have used some topical hormones for issues, but nothing systemic. A good book to reference is Christine Northrup's Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom.

Beth

No workouts to report. I didn't sleep much at all on Friday night. I was so tired and my arm was hurting. These night sweats are killing me. This morning I had a haircut appointment. Once the football game starts I'll be heading to the grocery store. Yes, the BR w/o's are tough. They have workouts for beginners, intermediate and advanced exercisers. There are plenty of workouts to choose from. I'm thinking of giving PHA a try this afternoon or Total Body Giant Sets. I seem to recall really liking both of those workouts. We'll see how the day plays out.

All the plyo leg workouts are good IMO. I'm sure your weight increase is just temporary water weight from the extra carbs you had. Just increase your water intake to flush it all out. I plan on doing the cleanse I sent you in November. I wish my braces would be off though. It's really tough with all the nuts and seeds that I can't eat. I'm going to pack my bag for the RT next weekend. I'm so excited. I need to review what we need to bring today though and make sure I have everything.

bbl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.