Damage Control November-Kick it into High Gear!

rmrmr

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

Time to kick it up a notch before the Holidays kick in. This morning was Imax 3, and later today will be STS Disc 16-CST. My knees were feeling better, but are now hurting UGH. What's a girl to do???

Are you asking what we can do to kick it up a notch. My personal goal is track every morsel on MFP. I will be cutting out the junk carbs-bread, candy (as much as possible). I track my dark chocolate intake. I'm on a 60+ day streak so far! I'm also committing to exercising 6 days per week. Who's with me???

DS2's car is a total loss. We have to go get everything out of the car by Wednesday. This also means that DS will be paying me the remainder of what he owes us on the car. This money will be used for our bathroom remodel...which is starting today! :):):)

LL-have a great time at Disney! You are on vacation, so enjoy it. Of course try to select healthier options, but you have to enjoy yourself too. Hope you and your family have a wonderful time!

Beth-How did the 12 hour shift go? You are amazing!

Tina-What are you up to? Sounds like health and longevity run in your family! Way to go being active with your Uncle.

bbl

Hi all,

Thanks for starting the thread Diana. It was November before I realized it! Well, the 12 hour shift yesterday had me nearly in tears-my shoulder hurt so bad. I called today for an appt. for Friday at the Sports Med Clinic that I used last time my other shoulder got a shot. It worked really well and I'm hoping for the same. There is a few weeks of rehab/strengthening to do after the shot. So that's my month-along with walking. I'm also tracking all of my food-started seriously today. I'm doing it on livestrong. It's nice to do it all in the AM for breakfast, snack and lunch and then I can just do dinner later. I'm really trying to up the protein and got England's Best hard boiled eggs to eat. I've been having one every day. I also signed up for a yoga class a 1/2 hour away on Wed. nights. The premise is to learn to create a home practice. We'll see...I do love learning new things!

LL is walking her butt off at Disneyworld!

Diana, so busy at your house with new bathrooms and double workouts. Working from home is wonderful. Too bad about the car...we lost one last fall only a few weeks after owning it. Thank God your son was ok and that the experience was beneficial somehow.

Tina, where are you? It's a nice day here in PA-are you biking? Is the weather good there?

Beth

Last week was a blur. My uncle went home on Monday. DH has had a really bad virus for the last few days, so we haven't done STS yet this week. Yesterday was TTM and the weekend was two short bike rides. I checked last years calendar and I am way behind on workouts this year. Diana, thanks for starting a new thread with the much needed motivational kick in the pants! :)

Beth, I hope your shoulder is feeling better. Did you injure it at work? I know so many nurses who have bad shoulders from helping lift patients from their bed. Twelve hours on you feet sounds terrible! Good thing you're continuing your yoga practice. :) My neighbor is starting our book club back up. This time our meetings will be at a local Mexican restaurant instead of at our houses. This month were reading The Daughter by Jane Shemilt.

Diana, thank God your DS is okay! Will he be buying a new car soon? Our DS is looking to buy a second car, he's driving us crazy with his searches. I'm with you on the six days a week of working out. I really need to reign in the eating. With my uncle here and halloween, things haven't been good in that department. How is your bathroom project coming along? Are you replacing the floor as well? How are you liking your home based work? Do you miss going into an office?

LL, I hope you're having a blast in Disney!! :)

Hi Ladies,

My knees are hurting again....UGH. I did some googling, and it sounds like it is vastus lateralis pain. I've suffered IT Band Syndrome before and it doesn't feel like that at all. I've been foam rolling and it seems to be helping. It is very painful, but I keep working on it. My knee pain seems to be worse after stepping. It's not so bad doing floor aerobics. Once we get our bathrooms paid for and our 2016 budget in place, then I can purchase the standing work station.

Today I was planning on doing STS legs, but I've literally been on calls all day long. Even though I add my w/o time to my work calendar, people book over it. Wednesdays and Thursdays seem to be heavy meeting days. I should be able to get my workout in tomorrow morning before I start work. The plan will be STS and BR if I can fit them both in.

The bathroom remodel is coming along. The floors are completed in 2 bathrooms. The electrician is coming tomorrow to put up all the new light fixtures. The last bathroom floor is going in tomorrow. Unfortunately, we are down to 1 shower and 1 toilet. It's okay since it's only for a couple days. It sounds like the counter tops may not be here until next week-which is when they were scheduled anyway. Since the rest of the work will be done, they are trying to get the plumbers and counter tops here sooner.

Beth-I'm sorry your shoulder is causing you so much pain. I know how much you enjoyed your previous yoga class. Hope this one is just as good. I wish I could get into yoga. The girls that cuts my hair is a Core Power Yoga instructor. Her arms are amazing!

Tina-sorry to hear your DH is not feeling well. DS2 has been sick for about 3 weeks. His company provides a bus pass so he's been riding the bus to and from work. Next week we have to sign some paper work and pick up the check for the car. I think he plans on riding the bus through the winter and saving up for a new car. I don't really miss going into an office, but it does get old being home all day every day. When I was in an office I walked with a gal at lunch, and took afternoon walks around the building. It was nice to get outside. My new job has me one the phone almost 6hrs on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I need to keep to my previous w/o schedule though and get my w/o's done before I need to start work.

LL-hope you and the fam are having a fab time at Disney!!!

bbl

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday was Disc 17 (I think), legs. Another round of trisets, oh my! Today will probably be cardio if I can fit it in with all the construction workers here. We are hopeful that they will finish today. The floors are done in all the bathrooms. Today will be toilets, counter tops, sinks, towel bars and drywall repair. If they finish today, DH and I are heading up to our condo for a few days. DH took next week off and I can work from there.

Later today we are picking up the check for DH's car and handing over the title. We may have to remove him from our family policy. We'll see how much his accident will increase the rest of the family's insurance rates.

What is everyone up to??

bbl

Hi all,

Diana, sorry about your knee pain. I hope it resolves faster than my shoulder! Your bathroom remodels sound great. You've had good progress if they are ahead of schedule. It seems like when we've had work done in the past it takes almost twice as long to finish the job. Can you walk around when you're on the phone at work? Going up and down the stairs would be a good way of getting to 10, 000 steps! Or do you have to be at the computer to see something? Either way, you're saving a ton of driving time to work and back. Remember those days?! Your son using the bus is perfect-what a great logical consequence, eh?!

Tina, glad you book club started back up again. The Daughter looks like a very chilling novel. Let me know if your group had a good discussion about it. It's intriguing because all mothers are daughters, but not all mothers have daughters... Our group just discussed The Room by Emma Donahue-about a woman who was captured and had a child. There is a movie about it soon. None of us really liked it and there wasn't much discussion. We talked the presidential debates and personal stuff. One friend just had a total shoulder replacement-yikes.

LL, you must be lost in Harry Potter world or on the Space Mountain...I hope so! You can get back to real life after vacation!

I've been doing a little jogging/walking-nothing very taxing. I got the shot today and started the rehab exercises. It worked for my right shoulder so I'm optimistic! I'll probably take it easy until I get ICE and then get back into working out with Cathe and the crew. I've really been focusing on my eating and am doing really well this week. I haven't lost any, but I haven't gained any either.

Beth

fa15139df11bf2e7520db011f0306f65.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15,000-20,000 steps per day, 21,000 yesterday. Eating pretty terribly. We've been to every park except one and we are doing it tomorrow.

Sunday: Animal Kingdom (Safari, Nemo musical, Bugs Life 3D movie) did 17 min slide and glide tabata
Monday: 20 min at clubhouse gym 4 min walk away (5 min elliptical and weight machines, one set of 12) Typhoon Lagoon (awesome water park)
Tuesday: Universal Studios (not part of Disney, lost Little K for 14 min coming out of the bathroom, filed a missing report and everything, he found his way back to the Minions Ride with JTrain and CDawg and then decided he didn't want to go on it, picture with Shaggy and Scooby and them Marilyn Monroe, Men in Black, Shrek in 4D while the older boys did Mummy and Transformers, Rockit Roller Coaster, too straight up and down for me). We are not into Harry Potter but there was a whole section on it
Wednesday: Hollywood Studios (Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster-Awesome!, Tower of Terror,-not Little K and I, Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, Frozen show, Little Mermaid show)
Thursday: Epcot (Test Track- Awesome!! And the older boys did Mission Space, too spinny for Hubby Ana Little K and I wanted to go talk with Crush from Nemo-Awesome!) Magic Kingdom (best was Splash Down -Brer Rabbit and Space Mountain and the fireworks!!!
Today:Friday: Islands of Adventure at Universal: (Spider Man 3D show, Harry Potter dragon hanging-roller coaster loops,., Dr Doom free fall- didn't do that either too much straight up and down, bunch of Seuss stuff that Little K loved.
Saturday: Wet and Wild at Universal
Sunday: fly home!!

Hi Ladies,

Well I got of to a rough start for November, but now that the construction is done I will be back on track! Today was BR Day 9 and STS disc 18-Back & Biceps. Tomorrow will be CCC and the next STS disc-CST.

The bathrooms look amazing!!! I'm so happy. I still need to put stuff away in the vanities and organize. There will probably be a lot more stuff thrown out too. DH and are going to look for a refrigerator and a new bed for DS3. He has a kids bed...and he's 6'3 and 325lbs. He outgrew it a long time ago. DS2 has offered to give him his bed if we will pay half for him to get a new bed. This all came about because we just bought new tires for DS1 & DS2 for Christmas. DS3 doesn't need tires, but he does need a new bed. DS2 wrecked his car 6 days after getting the new tires.

LL-love the picture!!! You can get back on track with your food when you are home from vacation. Don't even worry about it. You have packed days for sure. I love Islands of Adventure. I think that is where the super fun Spiderman ride is as well as the Hulk roller coaster. Wet and Wild should be fun too! I've been to the one in Las Vegas. Sounds like you are having a great time! I would love to take my granddaughters to Epcot. That is such an amazing place.

Hi Tina & Beth-hope you two are having a fun weekend.

bbl

Hi all,

LL, you are having an amazing adventure! I can't believe how much stuff there is to see these days.

Diana, I'm glad to hear the bathrooms turned out nice. Your Christmas sounds a bit like ours. DS2 is going on a Spring Break trip and DS1 got tires!

I've been doing 10x better since the shot and rehab exercises. Today I've had minimal pain in my shoulder. Wed. I did the walk/jog, Fri. was Low Max, and today was Xtrain Legs. This is why I love Cathe-no matter what, I can find something to do!

Right now, I'm off for my bi-weekly card game.

Beth

Diana- unfortunately, the Hulk was closed but Spider-Man was cool!! Now that the construction is finished you have the fun task or organizing your stuff!

Beth- happy your shoulder is feeling better! I love XTrain Legs!

Back home to cold Philly! Well, 55° really isn't bad but compared to high 80s...

So I need to do some clean up. The question is, should I try to go drastic and buy some 3 or 5 day cleanse where I'm drinking more of my meals? Or knock out all but fruit, veg and protein/fat? (Meaning cut out wheat and sugar) or do 21 day fix, this is when I started last year this time with 5 day inferno plan, very specific, but I didn't cut out any food groups except maybe sugar...I need a plan before o go to the store tomorrow afternoon.

Then there's workouts. I thought about jumping into week two of the November rotation, maybe adding some cardio or do one of the RWH rotations, scrambled I've never done, or do the one with XTrain and TTM and CF. which would burn more calories and keep me motivated??

Then there's the last question.....do I weigh myself and possibly depress myself even more or wait a week until I've calmed down on snacky foods and the dessert every day thing??

I didn't even go into the school room tonight to check/plan for school tomorrow. JTrain knows what he needs to do as does CDawg, B's stuff doesn't change all that much. They need to be ready for their classes and we need to prep for our Unit Celebration on Saturday, which means I need to figure out the medieval feast and B needs to finish his lap book and do his sculpture. It's going to be a tough week, but no sports until volleyball Friday, which means we have Monday and Thursday nights free!

Hi Tina!

We finished up Meso 1 this week. This weekend was cycling. The weather is unseasonably warm, so riding has been very enjoyable. This week will be all kickboxing workouts for my rest week. I may join DH in the evenings a few times this week and do MM. We'll break it up by upper and lower premixes. As far as my application at the school goes, I've totally changed gears and decided to try running a small pet sitting business. I can keep my current weekend job while I see if the pet service will work. DH is willing to let me try it for a year. My current boss, who has had several successful businesses is really encouraging me to go for it and is going to help me with advertising. I have two week long jobs coming up. The taxes and bookwork has me a little nervous, but I have loads of books from Amazon coming this week to help with the set up. Wish me luck. :)

Diana, can you upload a finished photo of your bathroom for us? We are going to be redoing our upstairs bathroom in the next few years, we're always looking for ideas. Were you able to salvage the new tires off the car? How are your knees feeling? It's obviously not stopping you from some amazing workouts. I'm excited for DH to start Meso 2. I think this will be more his style of lifting.

Beth, awesome news on your shoulder!! DH has been complaining about shoulder pain for the last few weeks. I'm hoping the break from the endless Meso 1 push ups will give him some relief. I love LM, I'm putting that on my next rest week schedule. What card games do you play? Is it Bridge? I really need to learn how to play.

LL, love the photo! I like your idea of jumping on the November rotation. You're going to be so busy for the next few weeks and you won't need to plan your workouts, just follow along. It's one of the reasons I love STS during the fall, it gets me through the holidays without having to focus on what workouts to choose.

Off to do some therapy kickboxing, work off some nagging anxiety. :)

Diana-Love the bathroom!!!

I just couldn't bring myself to do GG jumping into the November rotation. So I looked into the rotations on the RWH User Guide and decided that scrambled or 2 months or w/ XTrain. So that means HS or Plyo w/ abs 2. I did Plyo and abs, tomorrow will be LIHI depending on which I choose scrambled or 2 months. I've also thought about just taking it a week at a time...

Food intake was alright today:
Br: protein shake
Snack: cheese stick
Lunch: chicken breast and some homemade gen. Tso's chick and some apple slices
Snack: turkey stick and Kind bar
Dinner: Caesar salad, crabby rice (box) and chicken breast
Snack:? I still have 300 or so calories left to keep with my 1400/day + 400+ calories from my workout. Not sure if I will eat anything or not. I tend to eat poorly this time of night. And I've already had my cheese stick and turkey stick. Carrots would be safe and I haven't had as many veggies as I should have had today.

Tina- wow meso 1 and then a "rest" week of kickboxing! You put me to shame! I could only do 5-6 of each of the four sets of burpees she had in Plyo. Did you see Cathe's article about linear vs non linear today? I totally don't get it nor do I get why it matters. Do you know?

Rough first day of school after vacation. B still has some work to do and I didn't get all our read aloud history or science finished. Ugh. And I have a lot of correcting to do that I didn't finish before Disney. And I want to go thru all the pictures to create a photo book (I would love to do a scrapbook, but it would be too time consuming. Although Creative Memories has some great Disney stuff!) and a movie. I took a lot of both!

I would love to just go to bed early and watch Black List!

Hi Beth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

I've attached the after pictures. I love the porcelain tile floor and trim. The quartz countertops and new hardware are beautiful. I did change the hardware on the doors from the gold knobs to match the new faucet. I'm going to remove the hooks and wall baskets and DH is going to stain the cabinet over the toilet a darker color to match everything else. I ordered a new shower curtain for our bathroom and DS2's bathroom that should arrive later this week.

I didn't sleep very well last night because my knees were killing me. I finally got an ice pack and that seemed to help. DH seems to think it's arthritis, but I don't think so. Yesterday I did Drill Max which was pretty painful on my knees. Today I did the next STS disc-CST. Tonight is the first Holiday Meltdown class at the rec ctr. My knees are feeling okay right now, but I have this aching pain down the outsides of both of my thighs to the outsides of my knee. It sounds like IT Band syndrome, but I have had that before and it didn't feel like this. I went to PT for 6 weeks for 2 separate incidents of ITBS. The foam roller seems to help...I think.

Beth-I didn't see your post earlier. My headset is attached to my computer so I can't walk around while I'm on the phone. I hope to get a wireless headset soon. I'm glad your shoulder is finally starting to feel better. Where is the pain located? I may be sticking to Low Impact for a while until my knees quit hurting. They feel mostly better for a day or so and then the pain comes back. I'm participating in a Turkey Trot 10K on Thanksgiving day, running should be in my weekly rotation...oh well.

LL-I suggest you bite the bullet and weight yourself. It's just a starting number, nothing to get depressed about. It is what it is and you know where you are starting. I weigh every morning and go from there. Knowing the starting weight helps me stay on track for the day-which is why I do it each day. I just go day by day, if I don't weigh myself then I just eat whatever I want without thinking. I wouldn't recommend a drastic cleanse unless you want that. Drink tons of water and have your food consist of protein and veggies, cut out the junk. I know that's not easy. I've been doing it now for a while and its becoming a habit. As far as workouts, I would just pick something that is motivating to you and you will stick with. Who cares if it burns more calories if it isn't motivating and fun! You need to enjoy your workouts.

Tina-wow, your own business sounds awesome!!! Pet sitting sounds right up your alley! Just make sure you keep detailed records of all your expenses. Those can be written off at year end. Also make sure you are charging enough to make a profit. Have you looked into what the profit margin is for a pet sitting business? If this is your passion, it will work! You've been talking about this for awhile so I have no doubt that you will be successful!

bbl

Diana- I did it, I stepped on the scale and it wasn't pretty I just squeaked in under 180 at 179.7#! Disgusting! No wonder the pics from Animal Kingdom look so bad that and I'm wearing a horizontal stripes tank! So I'm officially 10 pounds over my so called range of 132-169.

I decided to do the 2 months with RWH so that means today I did LIHI BBS, but I did the premix with no finishers. Something to work up to! I either matched Cathe's weight or was 3-5 under.

Another modification to the rotation I'm going to make is take Wednesday's off. It's my marathon day out from 8-4 with the kids and to get up before 6 is too hard. And last night I got just under 5 hrs of sleep (according to my fit bit, but I feel way more rested than that.

I will try to concentrate on tons of water, eating a lot of protein and veggies and cutting out the junk. I ended up having hot chocolate last night. But I make it with 1C whole milk, 1C water, 1 heaping tablespoon of the mix, 1T unsweetened cocoa and 2 handfuls of semi sweet chips. I was only over 77 calories for the day.

Hi Tina and Beth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

DH is taking me to the Dr. today for my knee. I really messed it up last night in class...my own fault. Our warm up was a 1 mile run...I can't put hardly any weight on that leg and my knee is killing me. I'll update when I get the diagnosis.

LL-Don't worry about that weight range. Those weight ranges are unrealistic for athletes, and yes you are an athlete aka Cathlete!!! I'm sure the first 5 will come of easy. It's just from not eating your normal foods. Also, the scale doesn't change if you lose 5lbs of fat and gain 5lbs of muscle. It improves your body composition so your clothes may fit better etc. Way to go with deciding on the RWH rotation. I was considering doing that when I'm done with STS. Now with this injury, who knows what's in store for me.

Waving Hi to Tina and Beth.

bbl

Hi ladies,

Wow...lots of changes going on around here lately. Diana, the bathroom looks so nice. I wish we could update ours. Have you thought about seeing the doc about your knees? What if it stems from your spine? I went much sooner to the doc about this shoulder than my right one and am so glad I did. I do the exercises for it 2x a day and it's not tiring out as much. I've been doing less intense lower body weight work-x train legs and on tap for today is the Lower body triset from LIS.

Tina, good luck with the critter sitting. You will love it since you love so many animals! We have two people here in Wellsboro that do it and they make a decent living from it. You'll be walking the dogs and adding up the miles! I can't wait to get back to kickbox! Have fun!!

LL, welcome back to reality, heh! Taking Wed. off sounds like a good idea if you're gone all day. I really think you should save for the Cross Train Express. You get a little weights (but good ones) and a little cardio (with blasts) every day for 5 days and then one tough day of legs. Then you can do abs 2 or 3 times (or whatever you want ) a week. If I'm back to speed before Ice I'm planning on doing this series for a week or two. Good job monitoring your intake. It's hard for me because I make so much from scratch and don't feel like putting in all the ingredients in a recipe and then figuring out the serving-so I end up guessing a lot!

Beth

Yesterday was In the Ring w/ Amy Bento, today was RK, one of the time saver premixes. I should have skipped working out due to a doctor's appt. for DS. My whole day has been two steps behind and rushing everywhere. Tomorrow DH is taking the day off and bringing me clothes shopping for my birthday. I need new things so badly, I'm starting to feel like a bag lady.

Diana, I love your new bathroom! Everything must have that "new" smell. Great color on the counter top. That would be the style fixtures I would pick out. I can't wait to gut our upstairs bathroom. We built this house in 1990, and it looks like it! I'm so sorry about your knee, I hope it's nothing serious. Let us know how you make out.

Beth, great news about the continued improvements with your shoulder! :) Nice job keeping up with the lower body workouts.

LL, I don't even dare get on a scale, so good on you! Your plan you've put in place sounds like you'll be where you want to be in no time.

Hi Ladies,

The dr. think its a torn quadricep muscle/tendon (partial tear) where it attaches to the patella. This type of injury can stem from jumping. That's the BR w/o's for sure. Right now I'm in a soft brace and will have to get crutches. The treatment is to RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and PT. The dr. did say if it isn't feeling better in a few days to call him and he will refer me for an MRI. He did all the tests for ACL, MCL and LCL tears and those didn't hurt my knee at all. I can't straighten my leg fully and it is very painful to put weight on it.

No workout yesterday or today. Next on the rotation is STS Legs and that's not happening. I'm not sure what I will do now. I'm thinking I'll just continue with STS Upper Body discs only and really focus on my diet. My DH, being ever so helpful, decided to order pizza for dinner last night. UGH I had 2 pieces, but I hope to get most of meals together today.

Beth-glad your shoulder is continuing to heal. Lower body trisets is a great w/o! Glad you are able to find modifications that work for you. How is your purging going? Are you done getting rid of stuff? I have a ton to go through, but doing it a little at a time is more manageable for me. If DH was involved, it would be one big purge.

Tina-Our house was built around that same time '93ish. There is a lot we'd like to do, it's all about the budget. We don't want to do too much, but enough to get more out of our house. When is your birthday? Have fun shopping. Since I've been working at home, I wear sweats or shorts most days.

LL-good for you! You have a solid plan in place and now you just have to work your plan. You can do it!

bbl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.