Damage Control May!

rmrmr

Cathlete
Happy May Day! We use to get May baskets when I was growing up. I tried doing it a time or 2 for my sons, but they weren't really into it.

Hope you enjoyed your DS's birthday dinner! How was your day today?

Today I did a BR w/o in the morning an LIHI legs at lunch. Seriously, LIHI legs was super hard today. I'm not sure why. My HR was super high and I had to take a couple "catch my breath" breaks. I did wear my 10lb vest but I've pretty much been wearing it for all my w/o's the last few months. Normally I do a cardio/circuit in the morning and weights at lunch. Both of these workouts were circuits.

I spent what seems like forever putting stuff away from all over the house. The house cleaner is coming tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it and I think my kids are too. I'm just not happy about the cost and am not sure how long we will be able to afford it. Since I work from home, I'm okay with having her in the house.

bbl

Hello! Happy May Day. I never celebrated that day, but always like the May flowers after April's showers!

Dinner was great-I got a salad with salmon. DS has taken to calling all of us by our first names-my parents and DH and I. It's weird. Did any of your 3 do that or do do it? I know he wants us to think of him as an adult and wonder if that's why. He still lives at home and is this his way of breaking out of the nest? Should I see a professional about it? (kidding)

Sunday after work I did Lean Legs and Abs. It was the right length and felt good. Yesterday I took an hour bike ride. I had to get off and walk in the middle. My right leg was so tired. So just doing something a little different for a short time enabled me to finish the ride. Before all this PT I would have pushed through the pain. No more! I haven't decided what I'll do yet today.

I think you were smart to stop and take breaks during LIHI Legs and the BR workout. I think a high heart rate could be a sign of over training. I had an email yesterday from this blogger I follow from Australia-Jay somebody. He pointed out that there are basically 3 diets: low calorie (eat whatever you want just keep number below what you need and you'll lose weight), low fat (more carbs), and low carb (more protein). So I guess whichever diet you feel best on and keep lower calorie you'll lose weight.

I'll have to give some of those snack recipes a try! Non processed, whole foods feels best for me. I have some cocoa in the cupboard!

BBL

Beth

The salmon salad sounds delicious. No, all our kids call us mom and dad. I don't think they would even consider calling us by our names. Is your hip issue on the right side? Did the PT say when the strength would get better in that leg? I know I have some imbalances too. My tri training partner has serious hip issues and I think it's from pushing through the pain. She ended up with stress fracture in her foot during a marathon. She was in a boot for 6 weeks. Then she re-injured her foot/ankle on the same side and was back in a boot for another 6 weeks. However, she continued to run and exercise with the boot on. I think that is how she ended up with all the hip issues she has now. It's just not worth pushing through the pain.

No workout to report for yesterday. I didn't sleep well and was groggy most of the morning. So the cleaning lady was here, I don't think she will be a good fit. She got here at 11 as scheduled. At about 2pm she wanted to know if she could finish today. She indicated she had a Dr. appt and couldn't change it. She failed to mention this to me when she arrived. She only finished the upstairs, 2 bathrooms and our bedroom. As she was getting ready to leave, she asked if I could pay her for time today and that she would be back at noon tomorrow to finish. Well I only had a hundred dollar bill and a 50 dollar bill. I explained that I didn't have change. She says, why don't I take the hundred and I will credit you for tomorrow. I just don't have any money to pay the Dr. This entire conversation did not sit well with me. I gave her the hundred, and hope she comes back today. In the meantime, I'll continue looking for someone else.

Today I will just do a BR w/o this morning. Need to be around while she is cleaning, if she shows up.

bbl

Well, the cleaning lady sounds a lot like some of the people I work with-full of excuses about why they can't work. Did she come back? Aren't you glad you were home when she was there?

I took Wed. off and did Great Glutes yesterday. It was really hard. I feel like I'm so weak and starting from at a beginner level. I've lowered the step to 6 inches for cardio and greatly decreased the weights for weight work. I found my 27 lb. body bar from long ago in the basement and may start using it for squats and lunges. It used to be too light! It does have nice padding on it and seems heavy enough now to use.

I went to check the schedule yesterday for next pay period-they put me on day shift. I could not believe it. Of course, my boss had already left for the day. I'm waiting to hear today. I took a personal day today.

Beth

The 27# body bar sounds perfect for you need right now. You will build strength back up over time. I can't remember if I've ever done Great Glutes before. I'm sorry you were put on the day shift.

The cleaning gal did come back. Said she be here at noon, called at 12:40 to say she was stuck in traffic and finally arrived at 2pm. She didn't clean one of the bathrooms. She is very detail oriented and my kitchen looks awesome. What she did clean, she did a great job. I noticed my bike computer was not where I left it. She thought she left her cell phone here. When she came to pick it up, I mentioned the downstairs bathroom wasn't touched, and asked about my bike computer. She went to look in her car and found her cell phone, my bike computer, and my sons cell charger. WTH She said they must've got caught up in her cleaning rags. Then she messaged me and said she would come back and clean the missed bathroom for free. NOT
In the meantime, my nephew messaged the name/number of his cleaning lady that they've used for the last 16 years. She replied immediately and came by and gave me an estimate yesterday. She has many references, her and her husband clean together, they are marriage/couples counselors at their church. They will be coming to clean in 2 weeks. By the way, it is very nice having a clean house!

I did a BR w/o yesterday and walked after dinner. I'm thinking of starting STS again. I want to do the long rotation again where you repeat each week before moving on. I'm not very good at just winging it. I do better if I have a plan to follow. I'll keep with the BR w/o's in between.

bbl

Yesterday I did a 75 min BR w/o and STS Disc 1. I skipped every other push-up exercise, but did all the weighted chest exercises. Then I mowed the lawn. Today was another 75 min BR w/o. My intention was to do STS disc 3-legs afterwards, but I am beat. Next up is shower, grocery shopping and laundry. DH is getting the sprinklers going. Our lawn definitely needs it.

What are you up to this weekend?

bbl

Hi Diana,

I can not believe that cleaner took your bike computer and other things and said they got caught up her cleaning rags?! At least you have a clean house, but wow. I hope the recommendation from your nephew works out better.

It sounds like you had great workouts over the weekend. Sat. I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill since it's been really rainy and cold here. I pushed it too much (of course) and Sun. my right leg was really hurting. It didn't hurt while I was walking, so my PT said it's the muscles getting used in ways they haven't been since "forever". Today it feels ok-lots of stretching and gentle walks on Sun. I'm planning on going to the pool later this AM to just work my muscles there and sit in the hot tub.

I finally heard back on Friday and will start 2nd shift tomorrow. They put me in for 8 days (fine with me). It may go to 10 days. DS2 is staying at PSU for the summer. He's waiting to hear about an internship with some emergency department. If that doesn't come through he's getting a job and will have to have the internship next summer. He's officially a senior now!

I meal prepped and shopped yesterday. Made some roasted onions and sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, egg scramble, and boiled a chicken for the week. It's easy for me to reheat scramble as it is to have oatmeal and I'm really trying to get more veggies in at breakfast. For my smoothies I've been doing almond milk, blue berries, banana, and baby spinach. It's an odd color, but tastes great!

I really like STS leg workouts. Maybe I'll start doing them, too! Meso 1 are the best since they have those extras at the end. Upper body for me is still hit and miss-the pool and a little bit in the metabolic workouts.

Beth

Here to report STS week 1 of legs done! Perfect workout for me now-not too heavy, lots of reps. I think this is great for my leg. Not going to the pool. What are your plans for the week?

Beth

Your meal prep sounds great. I made a pork tenderloin on Friday and have been eating from it for the last couple few days. I bought chicken breasts, lean ground beef and plenty of veggies. I really only need to cook for me. Everyone else just fends for themselves if they are here.

I had my annual physical yesterday morning. My blood pressure was 102/60. They did blood work and I should get those results in the next day or so. She did a breast exam and noticed the cysts they are watching. I wish they would just remove them. I would really like to get this extra weight off too. It's really a struggle and I try not to focus on it to much. I just want to keep moving. I did have a non-scale success though. I tried on a bunch of shorts from years ago, and almost all of them fit. One pair is from after I had DS3-21 years ago. Of course these are all the high waist shorts from the past. Wonder if I keep them a few more years if they will be back in style. :) I mostly just wear sport shorts these days from the men's section at Target.

I did a BR w/o at lunch and STS D2-Back & Triceps. I'm doing another BR w/o this morning and Disc 3-legs at lunch.

DS3 and I are trading in our galaxy S6's tonight and getting the new S8. My phone won't stay charged and the charge port doesn't work. DS's phone is having the same problem.

ttyl

Today was ICE kickbox with BB and abs-73 minutes! My leg felt just a tad more sore than my left which is a great sign. Day by day.

Your BP is fantastic!!! Plus shorts from 21 years ago fitting. You probably have a lot of muscle which ways more than fat anyway. Have fun with the new phone.

Beth

Great job. It sounds like like your leg is improving and you are getting your strength back!!! How is second shift going?

I've been reading up on the benefits of working out with a weight vest. How it increases the intensity of the workout etc. I also read that you shouldn't use if all the time. You need to give your body break from carrying the extra weight. I've basically been wearing the weight vest since December in almost all of my workouts. I feel like I need a break from it. Today I plan on doing CCC this morning and STS disc 1 at lunch or this evening. I dislike the scale when I start STS. I know it's temporary though.

DS3 and I did get our new phones, but they have a curved screen and the phone store guy couldn't get the plastic protector on without it bubbling. He referred to a kiosk in the mall. He did put DS3's on but was not happy with the way it bubbled. Hopefully I can get to the mall soon. For now, I left the plastic cover on it, but it's hard to read through the image on it. As soon as that is done I can set it up how I like.

bbl

Second shift is so far so good. DH is up when I get home so we are more on the same schedule. We have lunch and do our cross word together then instead of at cocktail hour. I have not had wine since last Sat. I only had a glass a day, but it feels good to be more of an occasional drinker as opposed to a daily drinker. I'm also way less worried about getting to sleep and am sleeping ok since I don't have to worry about getting up and the workload ahead of me. Plus I haven't cried at work all week!

Been getting good step amounts in with my tracker. Planning on a bike ride today. Weight is where it usually is so at least I'm not gaining. Don't you feel so much lighter working out without the vest! My PT said to wear mine for short periods of walking and build back up to it. A few weeks ago I wore it around the block and really felt it in my back. I haven't used it again, but I did do some good hills on a walk yesterday and my back is ok.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what bubbles you are talking about! DS2 would know-he's our phone guy. DS1 is still using a track phone and DH and I use an old one to text and for trips.

I bought my plane ticket yesterday! Plus I found some light pants at J.Crew and got a size 4 and 6 to see if either fit. I've never bought from them. Still waiting to get them in the mail. I need some new clothes!

Beth

Back to report STS disc 6 done! Also did my stretches and shoulder strengthening. Itching to do CCC-maybe tomorrow. How are you feeling with STS?

Beth

Hey Beth, It sounds like second shift is working out really well for you. That is wonderful. Will you get to keep this shift? What fun to buy new clothes.

Yay for getting your plane ticket. Do you want to send me your itinerary. Are the dates Oct 5-Oct 8? I have a Frontier voucher I'm going to try to use. I just checked the calendar, we are planning on coming back on the 9th, right? I just want to verify before I purchase my ticket.

Wednesday was a rest day. I just felt that I needed it. Yesterday I did CCC in the morning and had an appt at lunch. Today will be a BR w/o this morning and then back to STS disc 1. Still struggling with my weight being up a few pounds. It's pretty normal when starting STS though. Hopefully in a few weeks it will readjust.

Last night I had dinner with a friend that I used to work with. It was nice to get out of the house and have a conversation with someone face to face.

ttyl

Hi!

My ticket is for the 5th going in and the 9th going out. I get in Daytona Beach on Delta at 1:22 PM and leave at 11:36 AM from Daytona Beach on the 9th. Layovers in Atlanta and Detroit.

I chickened out of CCC and did Intensity Step the step and low hiit sections today. I had coffee with a friend this morning and agree with you that getting out face to face is nice!

Off to work,

Beth

Oh, it's way too expensive for me to fly in to Daytona. I'm going to use my free ticket and fly into Orlando and take the shuttle. Last time we rented a car and drove from Orlando to Daytona. Although we used the car, it wasn't necessary. We could walk to everywhere. Nice job with Intensity! That's a fun one too. :)

I only got in the BR w/o this morning. It's our neighborhood spring cleanup and they have a large trash pickup. DS3 broke down his bed yesterday and I carried it out today. It took forever and many trips up and down the stairs. My fitbit says I did 40 floors! It has a bookcase headboard, foot board and 8 drawer under dresser. I also took out an old plastic table, 4 chairs, and umbrella from the back yard. I feel so accomplished. Now DS3 needs to clean out the rest of his room. It is so disgusting. He is a hoarder and doesn't throw anything out...even trash. UGH In the mean time he's sleeping in the basement in the king size bed his oldest brother gave him.

bbl

Hope you are having a good weekend. I'm guessing you must be working though.

This morning I did STS Disc 1 and HIIT DWP. Then we were off to a graduation party for one of DH's friends. He's finally got his degree at age 51! It just goes to show it's never too late. I'm heading out to the grocery store to pick up a few things for tomorrows Mother's Day dinner. We are hosting my wonderful MIL!

Happy Early Mother's Day Beth!

Hi!

Happy Mother's Day, Diana! Hope you had a wonderful day and dinner. Yes, it was my weekend to work. It is SO MUCH less stressful for me on evenings. I'm still adjusting to the routine changes, but am planning on keeping the spot. Sat. I did the pool workout and Sun. was a rest day. I've added yogurt back into my diet for my bones and gut health. Today I'm doing STS legs disc 9 and my therapy work for my shoulder along with all the regular stretching. We have a card game set up for after lunch and I'd like to get some wash done. DH said he'd be my cleaning lady when I told him about you getting one and how nice it would be!

How does your week look?
Beth

I had a great Mother's Day! I heard from all my kids, in-laws etc. It was really nice. We had my MIL over for dinner and DH cooked Ribeyes on the grill, Asian salad, cole slaw, potato salad, baked sweet potatoes, and these individual potatoes au gratin made in a muffin pan. I made a peanut butter pie per DS2's request and also Strawberry shortcake. I opted not to step on the scale this morning. My workout today was a BR in the am and STS disc 2 at lunch.

Our new cleaning crew came today. It is a husband/wife team that have been cleaning my nephews house for 16 years. They cleaned the whole house in about 2 1/2 hours. It looks great and smells good too! The kids were our house cleaners and at this point between work and school they don't have time to clean either. I'm not sure if this is a sustainable expense. We are going to try it for a few months at least and see if we can work it into our budget.

I'm so glad that second shift is working out so well for you. That is great. How many days straight do you work and do you do the 12hr shifts? That would be really hard IMO. My niece received her Bachelor's in Health Care Management and is going to nursing school now. I think she graduates in December. Eventually she wants to go into Anesthesia. She's worked in a hospital the last 3 years doing things like surgery recovery room. She is highly motivated.

bbl

Hello! I didn't know the group was active again! I was searching for an alternative to cardio core circuit. I'm doing the May Rotation but am "behind". How are you both! I will have to try to read back on the thread to catch up. But May is my busiest month of the year!

JTrain turned 16 yesterday and is going to his first prom tomorrow! No dates, group.
CDawg is 13 and playing baseball, fairly laid back and even keeled
B is 10 and on 2 baseball teams,one travel
Little K isn't so little anymore at age 6 and playing tball!

I've been doing Cathe workouts since January. I have been blending all the SAS rotations in included XTtrain/TTM/CF Rotation. So I do all the week 1s, then all the week 2s, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.