Damage Control 2019

I took a walk on Sunday and started feeling better. I was able to get the wash done, the house cleaned, and some meals made for the week. Cards tonight and then I'm planning on a light total body tomorrow-PHA or metabolic.

Beth

My last workout was on Monday, a BR circuit. Tuesday at the end of the day we had an outage and ended up being on a call until 2am. We were supposed to take a 2 hour break and reconvene at 4:30am. Well I turned off my alarm and didn't get up until my normal 6:30 alarm. It was a long few days. I'm off today because DH had a colonoscopy. We are home now and I made a big breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and green chile. DH wanted a breakfast burrito. Not sure if I will be working out today or not.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

I am much better, thanks. DH is at the end of it, too, finally. I think it was so bad because I really haven't been sick much and my immune system had finally had enough.

Monday I played bridge after work. Tuesday I did PHA lite. Wednesday I did Athletic Training Leg Express and Thursday I did Rev'd up Rumble with boxing gloves on. Feeling good and am ready to clean tonight.

Your breakfast sounds delicious! Glad his colonoscopy is behind him-the prep is always the worst part.

Stay sane.

Beth

I'm so tired. I did a BR w/o this morning, a nice cardio/wt circuit to get the blood moving in the morning. Yesterday I did STS Legs. I have my workout area already set up for the next STS disc of CST. I think it's disc 19 but don't hold me to that. DS2 is definitely moving back in and it is stressing me out. It will probably be sometime in December unless he can work something out with the leasing office to get out before December rent is due which would have him moving back in this weekend. I'm sure everything will workout. I'm looking forward to having 2 days off this week!

How is your week shaping up?

I am done work for the week! I do have to work Sat. morning, but it'll go fast. Monday I played cards, Tuesday I did the pool, and tonight I am working out after I get off the computer! You are really getting a lot of weights in-nice job!

Happy Thanksgiving! We're going to my Mom's and I'll take the sweet potato recipe that is now a tradition. Planning on going to the pool in the morning. Are you cooking?

Beth

I'm finally done with work too! Yesterday was Disc 19-CST and today I did was craving cardio and did TTM extreme. I did change the some of the weight work since I'm already doing a lot of weights. Plus my shoulders and arms were already sore from shoveling 16" of snow. It's supposed to warm up so a lot of it will melt tomorrow. Tomorrow I should be able to get next disc done before heading to my nieces for Thanksgiving. I'm taking a sweet potato dish also!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

I'm so happy to have the day off today. I've been pretty lazy so far. I did do Disc 21 B&B at noon. I need to shower and do some of the online class today. I've been slacking a bit and need to get caught up. We had a lovely time at my nieces house yesterday. The food was delicious and it was nice to visit with family and friends. This morning I did some Black Friday shopping on line.

What are you up to?

We had a real nice dinner at my Mom's on Thursday. I took a walk after dinner! Friday I did some on line shopping, cleaned, and I got a few decorations out. I also did a download-kind of an express metabolic workout of 5 rounds of exercises. So far I like all the downloads. It really expands my options for low impact.

I had to work just this morning which wasn't too bad. It should be my last Saturday since they've hired bona fide staff for the walk in positions. Tonight we're going out with everyone since my uncle and cousin came up to hunt. They go home tomorrow. Now I'm doing some wash and some meal prep.

How is the studying going?

Beth

Why do my days off seem to fly by? This morning I did a BR Cardio/Ab circuit followed by STS D20-Legs. I had an appt. at Home Depot to look at carpeting for the basement. I picked a low/mid range carpet and still have to find baseboards. Someone is coming tomorrow night to measure for the baseboards and on Thursday to get the exact square footage for the carpet. I hope to have it installed after Christmas and no later than Jan. 4th. Our basement is packed. Time to purge big time now. We will have to have everything out of the basement for the install. It's going to be a lot of work. I studied for 2 1/2 hours yesterday and getting ready to start the next chapter right now.

Sounds like you will be getting a reprieve from the weekend work! That's awesome!! Here's to another week!

How is your week going? Nothing like someone coming over to work on the basement to move unpacking it to the top of the list! It's like having book club for me gets my whole house dusted at the same time.

No workouts for me on Monday or Tuesday-cards and book club back to back. Last night I did Legs for Days from a download. Good, solid leg workout and I'm good and sore today.

I am on vacation Friday and Monday because my provider took off. My mom and I are having a day away Friday-probably in Corning, NY. We'll do some shopping, have lunch, and just get out of town! Is this your Friday off?

Beth

It seems like forever since I checked in. I did get in workouts on Monday and Tuesday, nothing on Wednesday or Thursday though. Today is my off Friday and I need it. I've been working a lot of hours and evenings. I will be working out at some point today. I went to my WW meeting this morning and was down 2lbs. I should be happy but I really just keep going up and down the same few pounds. No real weight loss is happening. They are offering 3 different programs now and I am considering switching at the beginning of the year.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend and have a fun trip with your Mom. This time of year is very hectic for sure. I may try to get the Christmas tree up this weekend. Are you ready for Christmas??

I had a great time Friday. We shopped and had a nice lunch. We got home before dark and I had time to vacuum. Saturday I did the download of low impact hard strikes. In the afternoon I met up with a friend to walk around our town's Dickens of a Christmas day. Today was wash and I took a brisk walk. My muscles are sore and I'm planning on the pool tomorrow.

I read a great article from Born fitness today. A 52 year old woman asked a question about fitness. This is it:
Reader Question: At my age (52), what is a good balance between performing aerobic exercise and strength training exercises?

The right “balance” will depend on your goals. However, if your focus is lifelong fitness and health, there are 3 essential pieces to the puzzle.

Muscle loss can begin as early as your 30’s (YIKES) if you’re sedentary. But, you can help prevent muscle loss by strength training (and eating enough protein). What kind of training should you do?

Research suggests higher volumes (sets x reps) are better for hypertrophy in aging adults (and more on how to structure that below).

Even if you don’t plan on running a marathon any time soon, you still need to do some aerobic (low-intensity) work because research shows that a high level of aerobic fitness is one of the most powerful tools we have for helping your body fight inflammation.

If you can manage the levels of chronic inflammation in your body (something that tends to increase with age), you’ll help prevent disease as you age.

And mobility is also essential. If you can’t move your joints freely through their range of motion (and control it), your chance of injury (and later on, dangerous falls) increases.

And if you’re injured, then you can’t exercise. And if you can’t exercise, that’s when muscle loss begins. And muscle loss is strongly correlated with a lower (or shorter) lifespan.

So, it’s essential that you’re able to keep moving and staying active — no matter your choice of activity.

Now, the question is, how do you manage to fit all of that into an already busy week?

Here’s my “real world” training plan recommendation:
  1. Do 3 full-body workouts each week. Keep these workouts simple. Chose an upper-body pull, upper body push, squat (or single leg movement), hinge, and carry. Do 3-4 hard sets of 8-12 reps.
  2. Add LISS (low-intensity steady state) cardio in 1-2x a week for 20-40 minutes plus stay as active as possible during the day. This could be as simple as going for a walk.
  3. Finally, add some quick mobility work to your morning or evening routine. Mobility isn’t a one-off thing, it’s an ongoing process, a daily habit.
Food for thought.

I've decorated as much as I'm going to. It gets less and less each year, but I'm the one who gets it all out and puts it away so I only do what I like. Maybe when there are grandkids or I retire I'll do more!

Beth

Whew, I've had a busy weekend. Yesterday was STS D23-legs and a BR w/o. Today was STS D24 B&B and a BR w/o. I still need to repeat M2W4 before taking my rest/active week. The baseboards will be installed in the basement this week. They will cut and paint the baseboards tomorrow and hopefully install them on Tuesday. The installer has another job on Wednesday and will finish up on Thursday if it isn't completed on Tuesday. We had to move everything at least 2 feet from the wall. It was a real chore but DS1 did most of it and I helped. I took one load of stuff to the Salvation Army and will have several more loads as we continue de-cluttering the basement. It will have to be empty for carpet installation. I do not any place to workout for the next couple days. We will be moving DS3 back upstairs and I will have to move my office to the basement once the carpet is installed. The house will show much better if the bedrooms are set up as bedrooms. I'm supposed to call on the 20th to schedule. I'm hoping to have it installed the week after Christmas. I'm off most of that week and will be here to put stuff away. Oh, DS1 also put up the Christmas tree. It's a pre-lit tree, and I don't think I'm going to decorate this year. The girls won't be here and it's just more work for me.

Glad you got to enjoy time with your Mom. Thanks for sharing the fitness regimen for women our age. It's so hard to know what to do. I definitely do not have the strength or endurance I had when I was younger. Mobility training is key and I definitely need to be doing more of that.

How is your week going? Monday I was off, so able to do the pool. Tuesday I was late nurse, so didn't work out. Today was a total body weight day. My legs were sore even during the workout-it's like my bones hurt. It was weird. Tomorrow I'm planning on the pool.

Work is going very well. It's nice to not feel so new anymore and to not have so many questions. How is your studying going?

Lucky you're off during Christmas. I get Christmas day and New Year's Day. This will be the first boxing day (big soccer day on the 26th) that I've missed in a few years. Oh well...glad to have a job, right?!

Off to shower. Hope all is going well,

Beth

No workouts to report. The carpet installers can't come when I want, but they can and will be installing the carpet on Dec 16th. Right now everything is moved 2ft from me wall. The baseboards went in and look really good. Starting on Friday we will start moving things up into the single car garage bay. Hopefully we can fit the heavier stuff into the storage area/laundry room. I did sign up for Cathe On Demand so I can try to get in a workout without using the TV or dvd player. Not sure if I will get in a w/o today or not. We have Holiday Shutdown days on Dec 25, 26, 30, 31 and Jan 1. I'm taking PTO on the 24th and may also take the 27th off.

I've been working a lot of long hours, nights and weekends. Studying has fallen by the wayside. I just can't seem to keep up with it all. I haven't done any Christmas shopping and feeling very unprepared. I may have to take a day or 2 off work just to get everything done.

You are getting in some great workouts. Sorry you are going to miss you soccer match. Can you take a vacation day?

This weekend we will be busy emptying the basement for the carpet install on Monday. I did get in a quick BR w/o yesterday in a very small area I had to use. I started bringing things upstairs yesterday. The 2 boys will be able to carry the heavier stuff today and tomorrow. I think I can finally get back to STS but will have to do in the living room. I think I can make it work. I still need to repeat M2W4 before moving on to M3. My unplanned rest week just happened so I won't be taking another one. It will be definitely be a few days of moving stuff after the carpet is installed.

We've had a bit of bad news. One of my brother in laws passed, he was only 65 and put up a tough fight against cancer. One of DH's aunts passed yesterday morning in her sleep, she was only 70.

What are you up to this weekend?

I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it seems like so many loved ones are passing. Treasure your boys being home with you. I miss DS2 so much. DS1 has been helping a lot more since DH is still using the cane and can't carry things.

Nice to hear you're getting the work done in the basement. It'll all be worth it when you go to sell and move to your dream house!

This weekend has been good. I got my wash done yesterday and we had my office Xmas party. DH made it for two hours which is good for an introvert! It was getting quite loud when we left. We're both so much better at one-on-one instead of large group activities.

I did a warrior metabolic workout from the downloads. There was 6 rounds of cardio, legs, upper, and abs-lots of compound movements, too. I subbed some low impact moves for the cardio-jumping jacks with discs, all squat digs, etc. and the cardio wasn't that long so it was a doable. My back is sore today and I'm planning on pool workout. Basically I'm trying to do a total body on the weekend,pool once on the weekend and once during the week, and an upper and a lower during the week. 5 days a week plus cleaning on Fridays. Monday is cards, so it's my rest day. Trying to do two total body during the week is too long so I do the split.

Beth

Still no workouts to report. We worked for 4 hours last night getting everything out of the basement. All that is left is DS3's bedroom area. He is a hoarder, it is so awful. He just can't seem to let anything go. He has probably 6 or 8 plastic totes of junk. These are big totes also, not little ones. We got everything upstairs, it's piled in our living room, family room and garage. The one car garage bay is full. We have the large trash pick up by the door and the stuff we are keeping closer to the front. I see numerous trips to the salvation army over the next week. We only want to take my workout stuff back down and leave the rest open. I'll probably have to move my office back down there which I don't really like. We'll probably keep DS3 upstairs but will have to move the girls room back to my office (it's the smallest room), and then move DS3's king size bed into where the girls room is now. That pushes me to the basement. I think the house will show better if we are using the bedrooms as bedrooms.

Hopefully I can resume my workouts on Tuesday morning. I should be able to get my workout equipment back down stairs Monday Night. It was a real workout carrying all my DB's upstairs. 35's are my heaviest and then also all my Kettlebells, the heaviest one is 40#s. Although I didn't get in a regular w/o, my legs are tired and sore from going up and down the stairs a bazillion times last night.

Your workout plan looks great. What do you do in the pool? Swim laps, water walk??? I really like the BR w/o's when I need something shorter. They have everything 12 minutes to 75 minutes. Glad you were able to get DH out of the house for bit and were able to enjoy your Holiday party. Is DS2 coming home for Christmas? If I recall, he just started a new job recently and moved in with roommate?

ttyl

Hey lady,

Your basement looks fantastic! I think it looks really livable and will help you sell. How is your week going? I have not been sleeping well. Why do I worry about everything? I did do the Lite Pyramid dvd this week-lower on Tuesday and Upper on Wednesday after work. Tonight is pool and then tomorrow I might do a short cardio before I clean since my cleaning is not that aerobic.

In the pool I just tread water in the deep end and mimic cardio moves like walking fast, elliptical, biking, kickbox punches, whatever I can think of for 30 minutes. I do intervals and go as fast as possible and generally count to 100 for each move pattern-if that makes any sense. DH swims laps-I don't like to get my hair wet and get it even more dried out and don't really like laps-can't breathe well. So, I just hang out in my corner and move. It works for me-I don't use any flotation devices so my legs are going non stop and I am tired by the end.

DS2 is not coming home. He is crushing it at his new job-met his quota and is the only one on his team to do that this month. He basically makes calls to try to get companies to take a meeting with one of his bosses and then the boss tries to sell the product. I keep hoping he'll meet a nice girl on the train that he sees every day or meets someone at his gym. He works 6-2 since the east coast is his territory.

I can't wait for the weekend! I need to make clam chowder, chex mix, and wrap.

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. Our house is a complete disaster. We have everything from the basement in the front living room, family room, my office, the girls room and the garage. I am happy with the carpet. Next up is interior painting and some repairs on our front deck. We are frantically trying to get most of cleaned up and packed up. We don't want to take a bunch of stuff back down there just to bring back up in a few months. My SIL is moving on December 26th and I'm going to take some of their moving boxes.

I have not been sleeping well and have been taking Kavinace as needed. I need my sleep. I'm stressed too with all the activity going on. I have not gone Christmas shopping yet, only for the girls and I'm shipping it today. ACK...

I was able to start working out again on Tuesday. I did STS D22-CST, yesterday was a BR w/o, today was a BR w/o and STS D23-Legs. This is my second time through of M2W3. Since I had to take a week off last week for basement stuff, I'm not taking the active rest week between M2 and M3.

Wow, I'm not sure I could do your water workout. You know, you could get a swim cap if you don't want to get your hair wet. :) I use a swim cap and goggles when I go to the pool. That is great the DS is doing amazing at his job.

ttyl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.