Damage Control 2019

I've been walking too. I went Sunday and today for about 5,000 steps. Monday I went to the pool. Tonight I plan to do the chores that need done before vacuuming tomorrow night. DH went to his almost 7 week follow up yesterday and is allowed to put some weight on his leg! He's taking it slow.

You will love the 3 day weekends! I miss my 4 day work schedule occasionally, but not the hours I worked.

Beth

Another 10 1/2 hour day today. I'm so looking forward to vacation. This morning I did Cardio Leg Blast and abs. Some days my age gets the better of me. I worked hard but got my butt kicked this morning with this w/o. I'm absolutely looking forward to some 3 day weekends. My hours have been brutal lately. I will have in 100 or more hours this 2 weeks time period. I have to work tomorrow night too. I'm salaried so there is no extra money for this. I'm learning a lot though.

Glad to hear Dan is weight bearing now. That is great news. What is the healing time for this injury? You made it to the pool!!! I'm curious to know the cost of you tub to shower conversion. We've had a couple estimates. One was through a remodel company at it came in at $11K. The other was through a contractor who provided all the measurements and asked us to provide all the material. That was about half the cost. Who knew a shower door could cost $1K or more.

bbl

You are probably busy packing and getting ready for your trip! Our tub to walk in shower conversion is going to cost around $7500. The tub is getting chips in it and I'm afraid it's going to start leaking any time so we're hoping to prevent that as well as having a walk in/sit in shower with a spray head and a couple of caddies. I'll take some pictures of before and after. The company we're using is called Bath Fitters. We have the bare bones version-no fancy designs on the walls. We did get opaque doors which cost a little more for privacy.

As I've been doing EVERYTHING around here I'm all about simplifying and have started implementing the Marie Kondo perspective of getting rid of stuff if it doesn't bring you joy. My goal is to make the house as comfortable as possible! I actually love having the bedroom all to myself these days-it's like my little sanctuary!

Today I did Leaner Legs. We recently upgraded our Apple TV from first to newest generation. I am thinking about trying Cathe Live. It's only 10 a month. Have you ever used it? I'm looking at the boards and reading what everyone thinks. I need more low impact options!

Off to make dinner.

Have a wonderful time in Canada!

Beth

Hey! When are you back from vacation? I'm doing ok here. DH and I went to the pool Monday! He can finally get down the two front steps. We did pool work and then he had his first shower in two months. Yesterday he walked about a block. He's still using walker to help support and balance. It's a slow process. Workout wise I'm still just doing what I feel like. Tuesday I walked with him. Tonight....tbd.

Beth

I'm back! I got back on Tuesday afternoon. Came home, unpacked, laundry, paid the bills etc. Yesterday I worked. I'm ready to get back to working out today. The time change has me a little off. Got up at 4:430 yesterday and today.

My work hours are changing and I will have every other Friday off! It will be nice to have some long weekends and have at least one day to spend with David. So in order to do this I also have to work 9 hour days. I've been working much more than that so this option was an easy one for me. My first Friday off is tomorrow so I get a 4 day weekend!

On another topic, my cousins daughter-in-law ended up in the hospital with eclampsia and they had to deliver her baby at 25 weeks. She weighs 1lb 9's oz and is 11" long. She has a long road ahead of her but is hanging in there so far.

That's great news about Dan. Glad is able to move a bit. I'm sure it's less stressful for both of you. It will take time for all his balance and mobility to return, but it sounds like he's doing great. Will he be able to bike when he is recovered? Can he use a stationary bike?

Off to get coffee and figure out a workout.

Yesterday I did the Gauntlet from the terminator disc. It's a mix of Imax 2, original bootcamp, and cardio & weights. It was so fun to get a bit of step in. I really miss it. It only used a one riser but my knee is pretty sore today. Not sure what I will be doing today. I have a haircut at noon, and then I will be off to run errands, mow the lawn and tackle laundry.

What are you up to this weekend?

Glad you made it home in one piece. So sorry to hear about you're cousin's granddaughter. I hope she continues to thrive. Nice to have a four day weekend! I remember the gauntlet-that is one tough workout.

Dan and I did the pool again on Thursday. Friday was my clean the house workout and today I did PHA2 from Lite. I'm still just doing what I feel like and felt like weights would be good today! I also got 5 loads of wash done, made waffles, and got to watch Liverpool win today. We're heading down to the pool in a few minutes to use the hot tub and shower. They have a walk in shower that Dan can use. He got his hair cut yesterday-finally!-and drove there himself. He's still using the walker and is still having trouble with steps. But we're getting there. We just booked a few days at the beach in Delaware in early Oct. I know it'll be chilly, but we didn't get there last summer with the dog being here and then with the hip we've been waiting to go.

We don't have a whole lot planned. I have to go grocery shopping at some point and Monday we'll go to the pool again. Enjoy your 4 days!

Beth

Wow, it's been almost a week since either one of us has checked in. Work is very demanding. I've already worked 48 hours this week. So glad I will be on vacation next week. We are heading to the mountains tomorrow morning. I've worked out everyday except Wednesday. Not sure what I will today. I'm pretty tired from having to work until 11:30 last night. Hopefully I will have more energy later today.

What have you been up to this past week?

I am just living the dream...working and taking care of stuff at home. Mowed the grass Wed night, cleaned the house tonight, working my Sat. tomorrow morning. Workout wise I was able to walk to work twice twice this week and did the pool twice. DH and I are planning on the pool tomorrow too after I get home from work.

You sound really busy! I hope you guys have a nice time in the mountains! Aaron went to Boulder for a job interview this past week. He's looking...

Beth

We are at our condo in the mountains this week. The temps are mostly sunny and 70's. It will be in the mid 60's later this week. It sure beats the high 80's and 90's we are having. I walked yesterday and plan to get out every day. There is a wonderful path that goes along the reservoir. I always get some great pictures. Today I will probably head down to the outlet mall. I don't need anything but it's nice to peruse the stores. We usually find some Christmas gifts for the kids while we are here.

Hope you are off to a great week!

You should use that pic of you for your Cathe pic! My week is off well. Saturday I worked 8-3 (should have just been noon, but we have to see everyone who comes to the Walk In clinic). After that we went to the pool.

Sunday I wanted to sleep in, but my cat started scratching at 6:41. I did house chores, shopping, and food prep the rest of the day. Took the day off from working out.

Today was busy at work, then we went to the pool. DH is using the cane now full time and is almost ready to try our staircase. He sees the doc tomorrow and gets an x-ray and has questions about his limitations.

Have fun at the condo! The mountains and stream look lovely.

Beth

Well I'm finally back from vacation and it's time to get back to healthy eating and regular workouts. We actually got back Friday afternoon. Yesterday was a lazy day of TV, going through the mail, paying bills etc. I also put the down payment on our shutters. They are custom made and will take a month to make. The coverings for the french doors will be longer.

Today I finally worked out. I did a BR leg/circuit w/o and STS Disc 2-B&T. I really need to do more progressive weight training and STS fits the bill. I'm also thinking of running a 10K next month. My knee is feeling pretty good, so I'll probably try a few run/walks this week to see if my knee holds up without pain. I only walked the entire time we were in the mountains.

How has your week been? What workouts are doing? How was Dan's appointment? I hope everything is healing nicely for him.

bbl

Yesterday was a BR w/o and walking. Today I did a short BR w/o and STS D2-CSB. I only did every other pushup exercise. BR has a ton of pushups in it. Today is our 31st wedding anniversary. DH is at work and I'm getting ready for bed. I did have a massage tonight and my neck feels pretty good right now.

What are you up to?

Looks like I'm checking in with myself.

Today was an unplanned rest day. My workdays have a hard start at 7am daily. I worked 11 hours and am being pulled in all different directions. I also applied for a new job within my same company. I'm already allotted 50% of my time to this position. Now that someone retired, a full time position was posted and my manager suggested I apply. I put in the application last night. We'll see how it goes. I'm basically getting on the job training which is wonderful. The job would be a lateral move for me but let me do this position full time and eliminate some of the other work that I'm doing.

How is your week going?

Yes, I have been MIA-sorry! I have not been sleeping well at all and am so beat. Walked to work twice this week, swam on Wed., and chores Friday will round things out. I hope you get the new position. You will burn out on the one you're in. DS2 got a new job in CA-working in San Fransisco at an office selling scheduling help on people's phones. He's looking forward to not driving all over and using public transportation. DH is slowly improving. He's using the cane now all the time.

Beth

31 years...happy anniversary! I know I'm a little late, but I was just reading over your posts and must have missed that one. What does your weekend look like? I cleaned last night, did wash today and grocery shopped and this afternoon we're going to a picnic. So no workout today. Tomorrow I'm planning on cooking and doing Flex Train. I'm trying to do some more weights again. I'm having zero pain doing the pool and walking and want to keep it that way!

Beth

Friday morning I went to weight watchers for the first time in 5 weeks. I was up .6 from the last time I weighed there which was before my Nova Scotia trip. My weight has seemed to stabilize for now. Hoping doing more weights and WW will get the scale moving. No workout Friday, yesterday was STS disc 5-Back & Triceps. Today will be a BR cardio/circuit and STS D4-CSB. I do want to fit in some running, but am waiting for my new shoes to arrive. They should've been here, so I checked my email and found out they are back ordered until Oct 4th.

Many of us in IT have been accessed to get the AWS certifications. It's for cloud computing and we may be moving some of our applications to the cloud. The 2 pre-req's to get into the session are 8 hours. I did one yesterday and will do the other today. These classes have to be completed before next Saturday. Its a 3 month program and we pretty much have to do it on our own. It's a very large time commitment. I was just informed I needed to this on Friday. I will be spending a lot of my own time reading and studying for the next 3 months.

I'm go glad you are finally pain free after everything you went through. Keeping ourselves healthy and strong is key as we age. You are so busy. Hopefully Dan will be healed up soon and able to help out.

I downloaded the free leg workout from the 2019 road trip onto my computer and then into i-tunes and played it on my TV! This is a major accomplishment for a non-tech person like me. I am going to definitely get some of the live workouts to do-low impact. In fact-I'm off to do the leg workout right now!

You have to study for 3 months? At least it's not summer time and you're done your big vacations. Speaking of vacations, my provider is going on her honeymoon so the both of us are off from this Friday until October 9th. Dan and I are going to the beach for a few days next week-in Delaware. Aaron is starting his new job on 10/7 and it's not good for him to take time off before that so he can get paid for all his vacation days. So we're not going to see him-yet. Hopefully soon though...

Keep holding steady and doing the work of the workouts. Consistency is key even if the scale is not moving you are doing something excellent for your body. Remember: Damage Control!

Beth

This morning was a 45 min BR circuit. It was all I had time for this morning. I was up until 11pm completing my second pre-req class and test. It's 3 months of classes and then a certification test at the end. Then I couldn't fall asleep and was awake when DH got home at 1am. I turned on HGTV and Pool Kings was on. Wow, I saw some amazing pools!!! I'm sure they cost more than my house-no joke. So impressive.

I agree, my focus is more on keeping healthy and active as a I age. The weight is annoying though. I've tracked every way imaginable but the menopause is wreaking havoc on me. I try to workout 5-6 days per week. I'm doing STS right now. In the past I've done each disc twice in a week. I just can't keep that pace anymore. Double workouts happen occasionally, but usually only on the weekend.

Where is Aaron now? Is he having to move for the new position? CA is so expensive. I bet he makes a pretty penny and just gets by. How did you find the free leg workout? I would probably just download it to my pc and use the chromecast to play it on my w/o tv. Tomorrow is leg day for me!

You had a great report at your last physical, right? 45 minutes workout is decent. I know I'm happy with that now. It's so nice not having any pain-maybe it's worth a few pounds!

Aaron is still in Walnut Creak. He's doing better financially since getting a roommate and the better job will help.

The free workout came in my e-mail. I think you could look around this site though-it might be in a thread or in the blog. It was great. My legs are still sore! It was 4 rounds of 3 exercises repeated twice with a band exercise after each round. I ended up downloading all the low impact live to do. They were $7 a piece after the 30% off which is pretty good. If she ever does a low impact road trip, I'm in!

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.