daily strength flucuations and STS

JuliaV

I did the 1 rep max, for some exercises so far anyway. I did STS wo 1 today. I did not hit all the reps; in push-ups didn't even come close.

What do you all think..is it better to do the weight listed in my workout sheets and not hit the reps; do as many as I can and then drop the weight; start with a lower weight on a day I might be weaker (for whatever reason)? Some other idea?

I ended up using the weight listed and then completing as many reps, with good form, that I could. On a couple I lowered weight down and continued.

Has Cathy said any preference?

I guess that we all have energy fluctuations on a daily. Just do the best we can but push for that higher weight? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,
Julia

This is an excellent question, JuliaV. I have also found this to be the case for some exercises.

Personally, I lowered my weight and did the same number of reps as the program recommends. It was still challenging! I recorded that weight and then went from there the following weeks when computing my percentage increase.

I found that my one max rep testing was a guide but was not 100% accurate for every exercise. There was some trial and error. I have done STS three or four times through now and the best thing for me is to plan my weight loads for each move based on how I did the last time I did the same exercise. So taking notes is critical. As long as you increase your weight loads the percentage recommended, it's all good!

Rule of thirds:
1/3 of your workouts are going to be garbage — you’re just off and you have a bad attitude or you feel supremely unmotivated and you have to really grind to finish
1/3 of your workouts are going to be pretty good — you hit all your marks, but not phenomenal; good energy, everything’s fine but you didn’t really improve, just status quo
1/3 of your workouts are in the zone — amazing, endorphins, PRs all over the place, Mt Everest.

As long as you’re roughly falling into the thirds, you’re doing great. If you’re falling too far in the garbage area, you’re working too high above your level; if every single day you’re killing it, you’re going too easy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.