Cycle Max Easy?

skatch

Cathlete
Anyone else find Cycle Max easy? I've been doing spin for about 12 years now and I think this workout is too easy. I still take spin classes that are extremely challenging and was kinda disappointed in this workout. And I'm really confused at the amount of calories it says it burns in the Workout Manager.

I'm new to spinning, so I don't have much to compare it too. The first few times I did the workout my legs were really tired. I have gotten better at doing the workout, so I try to go faster and add more resistance.

I really like the variety in the workout.

Lisa

I've never done a live spinning class, but I've done a dozen or so spinning DVD's such as; Chris Charmichael, Spinervals (I've tried 5 of these) and Vision Quest Coaching. While I find them all challenging, Cycle Max I find the most difficult. Does your bike have a cadence monitor on it? I find that makes a huge difference, making sure to be training at 90+ through most of the workout.

I have been spinning (at least regularly) for six months and I find it much easier than Mindy Mlyrea's spin DVD's: her Tabata spin workout kills me every time. Cycle Max I would rate as an intermediate workout - but I have very strong, muscular legs so that could be the reason. Very fun, though.

I always find the calorie counts in Workout Manager are always overestimated - by a lot. It says I should burn approximately 1,000 calories for Cycle Max but I burn only 500 or so according to my polar, and I always push myself well beyond my comfort zone. I burn maybe 650 when doing the Cycle Max Extreme premix but that's it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have super strong, muscular legs too the strongest part of my body. I do keep the cadence up 90+ spins are at 120+. Workout manager says somewhere around 600 cals but the bike says like 400 and when I do a spin class I am around 500. Workout manager I find under estimates too--at times when I am really spent like after, say Intensity, the calories burned seem really low.

I think spinning workouts are almost like weight workouts....if you find them too easy you aren't using enough resistance to challenge yourself.
:)

For me, Cycle Max is still a challenge, though I do go the distance. Toward the latter part of the workout, I am unable to stand for the entire time that the crew is standing. Perhaps I have my bike tension up higher than they do? Probably not! LOL. I was looking at Mindy's cycling DVDs on Amazon, but didn't purchase b/c I wasn't sure if they'd be challenging enough. Glad to read that someone here does find her workouts to be worthwhile. I purchased other cycling DVDs prior to Cathe's DVD coming out, so that I would be ready for her. I bought a few cycling DVD series that are virtual outdoor rides. I do enjoy them, but haven't done them since getting Cathe's Cycle Max. As for calorie counts in the WM, I've been using the formula suggested (body weight divided by 2.2 x MET value x length of time of workout) and have found this calculation to be rather accurate in calculating calories burned.

complik8td said:
For me, Cycle Max is still a challenge, though I do go the distance. Toward the latter part of the workout, I am unable to stand for the entire time that the crew is standing. Perhaps I have my bike tension up higher than they do? Probably not! LOL. I was looking at Mindy's cycling DVDs on Amazon, but didn't purchase b/c I wasn't sure if they'd be challenging enough. Glad to read that someone here does find her workouts to be worthwhile. I purchased other cycling DVDs prior to Cathe's DVD coming out, so that I would be ready for her. I bought a few cycling DVD series that are virtual outdoor rides. I do enjoy them, but haven't done them since getting Cathe's Cycle Max. As for calorie counts in the WM, I've been using the formula suggested (body weight divided by 2.2 x MET value x length of time of workout) and have found this calculation to be rather accurate in calculating calories burned.

Mindy's cycle workouts are a lot harder than Cycle Max, although nowhere near as much fun. Try her Tabata Trek: that one leaves me breathless. It's like HiiT on speed.

UNLVCrjChick said:
Mindy's cycle workouts are a lot harder than Cycle Max, although nowhere near as much fun. Try her Tabata Trek: that one leaves me breathless. It's like HiiT on speed.

LOL!! Thanks for the recommendation. I will add that one to my wish list. ;-)

complik8td said:
LOL!! Thanks for the recommendation. I will add that one to my wish list. ;-)

No problem. I wanted to say "HiiT on crack" but thought it might be deemed offensive. Oops, too late. lol :)

Length of time in what units? If I use minutes, then I've just burned 10000 cals in a 10 mile run, and that's not right. Although I wish it was :p

Hours maybe? That seems be closer.

Nan

spyrosmom said:
Length of time in what units? If I use minutes, then I've just burned 10000 cals in a 10 mile run, and that's not right. Although I wish it was :p

Hours maybe? That seems be closer.

Nan

Yes, correct. For your time value, you would multiply by the number 1 for a 1 hr. workout. If the workout is 55 mins., you would divide 55 by 60 and multiply by .916, and so on. For the full explanation, go to the home page of the WM and read the article "How to use MET values to improve your workout." HTH :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.