curl bar

eminenz2

Cathlete
I did a search for the words "curl bar" for the last month on this forum but I didn't get any results, so here are my questions:

What is the advantage of using a curl bar over using a barbell for bicep work?

Will the curl bar make bicep work more comfortable? Would it make crazy 8s more tolerable?

Can a curl bar be used for any other work besides biceps?

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to your answers!

Susan G.

The only barbell I have is a curl bar and I dont like it for biceps. My wrists seem too sacrificed and they really start bothering me. I am going to purchase a straight on this weekend.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-02 AT 10:13AM (Est)[/font][p]I use my curl bar for all upper body weight work, biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and chest. I find it allows me to use different grips, thus hitting the muscle(s) differently, especially for back and chest work.

Donna

Thanks to both ladies for you answers!

Donna,

So in other words, a curl bar can be used in place of a straight barbell?

Can I trouble you to tell me some of the different grips you have found effective?

Susan G.

I needed to chime in here, cause I thought I was the only one who used a curl bar for all upper work. I find it more comfortable because it is shorter than my barbell, although you do have to play around a bit to find a comfortable grip for your wrists.

I have a question too!

I was just given a rusty old curl bar, but thought it would make barbell curls doable for me. Right now I can only use dumbells because of my wrist. So, is the curl bar not good for the wrists after all? (if you already have a bad wrist).

Andrea

effective grips....

How effective each grip is will be easier to determine once I really learn what each should do and how it should effect me, but being the reader I am, I read an article some time ago in a M&F Hers that discussed "hitting the muscle" from different angles, and one way to do it was to change your grip on the bar. So if doing chest (bench) presses, If the last workout I used a closer grip, I'll grab all the way to the furthest point on the barbell for a wider grip on the present workout. Same for back work like bentover rows or shoulder work like upright rows. Basically any exercise with the barbell that allows for varied grips. I especially found it useful for barbell french presses, for some reason I had difficulty keeping my elbows still until I got the curl bar.
So basically just moving your hands in different positions on the bar (in the dip, outside the dip, and along the straight portion of the bar) will change your angle.

I use the curl bar for everything except leg work. My bar pad will fit it, but it bunches up, so I use my straight bar for lower body work. But if I had to, I could use it for lower body as well.

Donna

RE: I have a question too!

Hi Andrea,

I strengthened my wrist using dumbbells for bicep work. Wherever Cathe used a barbell, I used dumbbells, and I forced myself to increase the load every few weeks or so, and doing this not only strengthened my wrist, but my forearms as well, and it allowed me in the long run to lift heavier for bicep work overall. Now I can use a barbell without feeling any wrist stress. I did this for several months, and it didn't take as long as one might think. Using the dumbbells I could focus on form and keeping my wrist straight, and although I felt like a wimp using 8#db for bicep curls, it helped. It also helped me build endurance in my biceps for "crazy 8's" which I could not complete until after my "dumbbell therapy" method. :)

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.