Curious ... does your child's school do Halloween?

jcm

Cathlete
I'm really not trying to start any debate on Halloween. Our school has always done Harvest Festival rather than Halloween (a charter school), and some parents are now angry they don't just do Halloween. But I think it's not just our school. It seems to be becoming a trend in other schools. Wanted to hear what was going on in other school districts regarding this!

Jen

My kids' school (we're in Montana) has a Halloween party on the 31st and are encouraged to wear orange and black but they don't get to wear costumes. The prior two years the school has allowed the Kindergarten and 1st grade kids to change into their costumes (as long as they weren't violent/scary) so they could do a parade through the halls. This year they aren't even doing that.

I think omitting the costumes is easier and I don't have to worry about them getting stained/damaged while at school.

Cindy

I live in new york......our school has a halloween parade for the kindergarten students to show their costumes to the rest of the students. Some parents choose to keep their kids at home that day. I'm afraid that so much has become about political correctness that the kids are losing out on experiencing other cultures.

Yes - it has turned into an ugly debate on our school's FB page. But after talking to friends I realized all these parents mad at our specific school were really fighting the culture, not the school. So in my opinion they need to take their anger somewhere else. I just check with other Cathletes and see if the entire country is indeed moving in this direction :)

My daughter's school still celebrates hallowe'en. She is at a catholic school so don't know if that makes a difference. Many public schools here dont do Christmas. They have a holiday celebration instead. My daughter's school celebrates christmas.

CeceFifi - Haha! I grew up Catholic, and I'm thinking at this point Catholic school is the best chance these kids have of Halloween celebrations! But not to get off track :)

Elementary schools have a Halloween party and can dress up. After that(5th grade) there is no celebration, but I think that is more of an age thing.

We celebrate Halloween at our public elementary school( where I teach) in New Jersey. All grades parade in their costumes and each class has a party. Even the staff members dress up ( literary characters, Disney, witches).Masks and fake weapons are not permitted. I was really surprised when I first started working there after moving from California. At my public school in California Halloween was strictly forbidden.

In rural Texas - our schools (there are 5 in our county) do not call it Halloween but all schools have a Fall Festival which are usually on Friday. The kids wear their costumes for a contest and then there are all kinds of booths and activities for them to do.

My kids are homeschooled now, but when they attended a public school here in Michigan they celebrated Halloween by changing into their costumes for the 2nd part of the day and then parading around for the rest of the school/parents to see. Then each class had their own party.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.