Could use some help....

NaturalBeauty

Cathlete
When trying to lose weight what are the best percentages to use for carbs, protein, and fat? 30/50/20? 40/40/20? does it even matter? Thanks!

Tassha

Its hard to stumble when your on your knees...

I think you can use both of those ratios. Keep your fat under control and let your body tell you what you need. There are many articles written about carb cycling for weight loss. That's why cheat days are important. Of course, by cheat day, think increasing carbs and not gorging yourself. When you cut calories and get fewer carbs, your body can go into starvation mode. This is due to a certain hormone called leptin, I believe. This can cause your metabolism to slow down. After a few days of gradually lowering calories/carbs, you then trick your body by having a day with more carbs/calories and your body revs up its metabolism. While it's in a higher state you lower your intake again and repeat the process. Body builders/Figure competitors, etc...use similar processes when getting ready for competitions.

If you are eating clean and exercising, I think you will get exactly what you need!

Good Luck!

Davina

Hi, I just read Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, and Tony Venuto says this:

If fat loss is your number one goal and you want to achieve it the healthy way without losing muscle or energy, then you can't go wrong with 50-55% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 15-20% fat as your starting point. These numbers are not intended as a rigid prescription; for fast metabolism types, 55% carbohydrates or the classic 60% carbohydrates works well. For others, 45% carbohydrates is a better place to start. Your ratios might need to be adjusted slightly depending on your body type. But before you can make any adjustments for your body type and goals, you must first establish a starting point or "baseline."

So he suggests starting with the first numbers, charting your success, and making adjustments until you find what's right for you. He says that although lots of people are the same, many people are different and will require lower/higher carbs than others. So although I know it's annoying, starting with 50-55/30/15-20 and then finding what's right for you will do the trick! Oh, and he also suggests zig-zagging your calories - 3 days at your weight loss calories, 1 day at maintenance.

Aim for enough protein

Cut the simple sugars (no white flour/potato/ sugar/hfcs) and eat as much vegetables as you want. Be sure you get enough good fats (ala, gla) and you shouldn't experience much in the way of hunger pangs at all. And EAT!!!! I mean it. It sounds crazy but aiming way low on calories back fires. The most important part (at least for me.) is to get those carbs early in the day and stay high in your target heart range for long enough that you feel like you are on fire the rest of the day. For me thats at least 40 minutes above 150 beats per minute.

Oh, if you want ice cream have a Haagen Daz bar. Just one. After a huge salad with chicken and avocado and almond slivers.

Stay away from most commercial baked goods. They often have dough conditioners which are enzymes that cause weight gain. Its not just the calories/carbs/simple or complex. If you want a brownie bake from scratch. Its not that hard. And keep two for yourself and give away the rest.

Hope that helps,

Alisha

Oh gosh thanks you guys!!!! Great advice...Thanks alot for all your input, I really appreciate it.

Tassha

Its hard to stumble when your on your knees...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.