Costochondritis?

kathydaffy

Cathlete
Hi!

I was just wondering whether anyone here has ever been diagnosed with costochondritis, or inflammation of the rib cage? I was told I had it after going to the E.R. (I thought I was having a heart attack!) and that strenuous exercise or excessive coughing can be causes. Well, I did both and it know feels like someone is stabbing me in the chest! It's completely derailed my workout routine as I literally can't move most of my upper body without serious pain. I'm a little depressed so I was curious if anyone has had the same experience? I really hope not but.... :)

I had costochondritis when I was in my 20's and it was absolutely horrible. I had stabbing pain that went around my entire rib cage. Chest and back felt like I had a knife sticking right through me. I don't recall what or if the doc gave me something for it. I do remember laying on the floor for a few days as that was the only position that was somewhat comfortable.

Did they give you something to take? I hope you feel better soon.

Brenda

Hi Brenda!

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this as well - yes to the stabbing feeling and lying on the floor! It's really scary. The E.R. docs gave me a shot of ibuprofen and cough syrup with painkillers in it so I can sleep without coughing too much. I think I had already had a little bit of the costochondritis and that a lot of coughing might have made it worse (have a lingering cold)? I hope I'm like you in that it went away soon! Thank you for replying! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.