Cost of a Christmas tree?

My2girls

Cathlete
What are they going for where you live? I live in Oregon where there are tree farms and lots everywhere! I was curious if trees cost a lot more in other states or about the same. Douglas firs and grands go for about $20-35 for a 4 foot - 7 foot and nobles go for quite a bit more.

Ummm, I just shelled out $90 for a 7 foot evergreen in northern NJ. Maybe b/c we don't really have trees in north Jersey? :p (JK--really we have lots of beautiful old trees here, but no evergreens)

Mine was free this year. I just pulled it out of my closet, all ready decorated, and set it on the table -- LOL!!! I'm such a Grinch! :eek:

Mine was free this year. I just pulled it out of my closet, all ready decorated, and set it on the table -- LOL!!! I'm such a Grinch! :eek:

Hah! You and DH. The previous owners of this house left a huge Xmas tree - it must be 15 feet tall - and DH just cannot bring himself to purchase a tree when we have a perfectly good one sitting in the basement. I told him I miss the pine smell. He said "Why not buy some glade, then?" Had to admit I thought that was funny. :D

Next year I will have my live tree again. He's right, with money so tight, why spend it when we don't need to?

Sparrow

I hit the day after Thanksgiving sale at Lowes and got a really nice 6' one for $16! It's gorgeous. Everyone thinks it's fake until they smell the pine it is so perfectly shaped. Considering our last real tree was a horrible misshapen diaster, I was excited!

I paid $4.95 for my tree. It comes with a tree stand, blanket, and ornament. It stands about two inches tall.....
http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228855020&sr=8-1

ref=dp_image_0

LauraMax - you're not alone - I paid $75 for a beautiful 7' Noble Fir. I can get them cheaper around here, but the needles just drop off and they drop by December 15th. This one is really nice.

I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this, but I (actually my DH used his money) spent $100 for mine. It's a 12' tall Canaan fur. We tried to find something cheaper but after freezing our ars's off for 5 hours trying to find the PERFECT tree and riding on a hay truck 2 miles in the bitter wind to the "tall" tree section, I would have probably paid $200 just to go home.

I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of NYC. We normally go to a tree farm and pay about 35 - 40 for a 7 ft. tree. This year we went somewhere new and the owners would not let us pay. When they found out our son was home on leave from the Marines ( My sons and husband all came to get the tree) they said no to our money and thanked my son for serving. I could have cried.

I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of NYC. We normally go to a tree farm and pay about 35 - 40 for a 7 ft. tree. This year we went somewhere new and the owners would not let us pay. When they found out our son was home on leave from the Marines ( My sons and husband all came to get the tree) they said no to our money and thanked my son for serving. I could have cried.

That's really awesome! All of our servicemen and women deserve this kind of treatment! :)

Last edited:
I'm in Mid-Michigan and there are lots of tree farms around. We went to one with horse-drawn wagon rides and the kid driving the wagon was great with the boys and even let them "drive" for a bit. The trees were all $30 there, but other places have all their u-cuts for $25. Cut ones are so much a foot. We paid the extra $5 because the boys really like the horses. It was cold, and snowy, perfect tree hunting weather. :)

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, surrounded by tree farms.... we paid $50 for a tree that is not all that tall (because my boys insist on putting it in a room that doesn't have a high ceiling -- fine with me, because otherwise it would be in the way of my workout space!). Wow! Did we get ripped off, or what?!

-Beth

Trees around here, in PA, go for about $40.

Growing up, my parents had an artificial tree every year, so I SWORE I'd never use one when I was a parent. We've bought a live one every year.....except for this year. We just haven't gotten out to buy one yet, and now that Christmas is just 2 weeks away, I HATE the idea of spending $40 for a tree that will go up and be gone in about 4 weeks' time. I'm borrowing my parents' really nice, relatively new, pre-lit tree and we're putting it up tonight. HOWEVER, my younger DS is sooooo very sad and upset with me. I'm just hoping that as we're all together tonight putting this up, that he gets over it and stops making me feel guilty!!!

Gayle

Well it appears trees are pretty much the same. There are some extremes, but I was under the impression Oregon would be cheaper, but I think ours aren't! :confused: I love the idea of going on a wagon to find a tree!

We have a cut it yourself Fraser and it was $45. I'm in Illinois and the tree farm we go to is $45 regardless of size. If you get a 3 foot, you get ripped, if you get a 15 foot, you did good.

Nan

$10 for a permit to cut one in the woods from the U. S. Forest Service.

Then you have to add in a small amount for gas to get there, hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps, whipped cream to go on top:p, assorted homemade cookies, chili beans, hot dogs, chips and a roaring campfire for everyone to gather around. The experience of going out with family on a really nice winter day --- Priceless. We usually cut our own tree (a silvertip fir) up here in northern California, but once in a while, winter hits early and it's tough to get out in the woods with all the snow. Then it's a purchased tree from a lot in town.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.