Considering STS - advice?

Aloric

So i'm thinking about STS, here's my background and what I've got and hopefully some folks with experience will chime in and tell me if it's a good fit or not.

STS was recommended to me as someone who has done a few rounds of P90X, lost about 65lbs, didn't like P90X2 at all (eww) and wants something new/interesting to do at home, by myself, away from the evils of the gym.

Big question: Can I turn the music off on the DVDs? Like, is "music off, Cathe still speaking" an option or is mute/unmute my only option to avoid the music? I watched the demo videos and the music might be a deal breaker. I like to have my TV play the commentary/voice while my stereo system plays my own background music.

Also, are the videos stitched together clips of each exercise instead of continuous routines? That's the impression I got from some reviews - like it "hops" from recorded bit to recorded bit, instead of being a flowing routine, so that they can reuse footage for repeat exercises in different videos. That seems like it would be distracting or annoying.

Do you measure your 1RMs at the start of each mesocycle? Or prior to start of a week? I'm a bit fuzzy on how often you do it.

I'm in decent physical form at this point, I don't think I'll fall down dead doing this but my elbow can be tweaky and also yoga/pilates that requires long periods of braced forward arm positions (think plank) will begin to trouble my shoulder. Would the routine sin general beat the crap out of me?

Equipment questions!

I have:

Adjustable dumbbells up to 90lbs each.
Adjustable dumbbells up to 25lbs each.
Incline/decline/flat adjustable bench (no attached uprights)
Pull up bar
Pull up revolution w/various level bands(makes the pull ups easier if needed)
Stability Ball.
Various resistance "bands" (tube style with handle attachments)

The only thing that really sticks out to me is the stretchy yoga style rubber band thingy. Is there something else I'm missing that's essential? I'm just trying to get an idea of the total cost in my head.

Also, how's the nutrition with this? Is there nutrition with this..? Like a plan or recommended calories..? Macros..? Various levels, anything? Or am I just kind of on my own?

Thank you for not even answering if the DVDs have an option to turn the background music off - a simple question anyone who has put them into their DVD player would be able to answer.

This affirms my belief that this community is not supportive and that the Cathe group mentality is not something I want to be wasting my time or money on becoming involved with.

Sorry you feel this way. But you didn't give anyone a chance to answer. It's 10:57 pm here in HI and this is the 1st time I saw your thread.
This community is a great place to be with great people.

cgishops.com

I'm on my second round of STS and had to actually run a disc to see if there was a voice only option, and yes, there is a voice only option. I really like the music on these, in some parts it sounds like techno-ish Trent Reznor.

Each workout flows and if there is splicing of video, it isn't noticeable. The quality is incredible on this set.

As far as the 1RM, I only did it in the very beginning, and once I started the program, I just went with what I normally lift and bumped it up each time. It was a good reference to start with, but I don't think it's absolutely a must.

Your equipment seems complete. The only other thing you might want to purchase is a pair of weighted gloves. Towards the end of the program, you'll be loving that .5 to 1lb increases.

If your shoulders are an issue, Meso 1 might need some tweaking. Cathe give lots of different options for pull ups and chin ups. Your tubing would work great for this. Tons of push ups in Meso 1 also, but again, Cathe gives plenty of modifications.

Nutrition wise, there isn't a plan that comes with the program. Cathe does have a nutrition tracker site but there is a monthly fee. I used it my first time through and had awesome results from using it. It grades you in all areas of nutrition as you log in your food, shows you where your lacking in your daily intake. You could also try using Myfitnesspal.com for your nutrition, but it isn't as complete as Cathe's.

Sorry -- I had a long post all typed out on the day of your first post but then accidentally clsoed the window. I didn't get a chance to type up another. The people on this forum are actually super supportive even though your first post didn't appear to be so.

Anyway, I would invest in some stretch bands. What you have sounds like resitances tubing and I don't think it would work on many of the exercises. It sounds like you already know this though! There are quite a few exercises that also use the barbell but dumbbells can be substitued for most of these. I don't think you would get the same benefit from the squat racks discs though but that's an optional package anyway.

The only things that might flare up your elbow is possible some of the tricep moves and the sheer number of pushups in Meso #1.

Definitely do the 1RM tests before starting the program. I mapped them out and there are over a hundred of them! Lots of people didn't do them and were able to still get good results because they are more in tune with their body than I am. Without the 1RM tests, I don't know how heavy of a weight to use. They have been really helpful for me. If the package you are ordering doesn't already come with the STS guide, don't bother buying it. Everything that is in the guide is in the free online workout manager.

I honestly didn't know if there was a voice only option or not. Cathe usually does provide this option in the majority (if not all) of her DVDs though.

As Fembot said, no nutrition plan is provided. Most people do up their protein intake because STS definitely boosts the metabolism.

Again, sorry your first post didn't get the desired responses you wanted but sometimes it's hard to get to everyone in a timely fashion. Hopefully you will give the forum another chance at some point in the future. I have learned a lot of good information from the people on here and continue to get good information every day.

Btw, I just want to comment that STS is solely a weight training program which is different than P90x. Some people have purchased STS and have been slightly disappointed by that.

Here are my thoughts on STS for you. If you have done a few rounds of the X, then you are a good candidate for STS. The main difference between STS and the X is that STS is more structured with a specific set of reps for each exercise and in the testing of your 1RM to get a goal weight to be lifting. Tony just tells you to lift your preferred number of reps at a challenging weight. I did find that I pushed myself harder with STS since I had a suggested weight on my workout sheets which was heavier than I might have picked up on my own.

I don't ever play my own music so glad to see someone else answered that for you.

Even though the videos use repeat footage, they did an amazing job of editing so that you would never know it's pieced together. I never once found that to be an issue at all. Never distracting or annoying and flows great.

You test your 1RM once before beginning the program. It is a bit daunting. Even though I had tested most exercises, there was still tweaking once starting the program. Now that I've done it a couple of times, I pretty much know what weight to use, but am still constantly jotting down comments and still tweaking. I would at least test a few exercises and possibly commit to doing Meso 1 through twice (especially if you don't want to be thorough on doing 1RM's). That way you could guesstimate the first week and nail it the second week. By the end of Meso 1, probably after week 2 you'd have most of the exercises keyed in and the program would flow from there.

The main complaint about STS that sticks out for me is the pacing, especially of Meso 1, and all the equipment needed. 30 second rests are short. You are making frequent equipment changes, you are dead from the last set. I pause my DVD player when I need to and take a drink. Whatever. It doesn't bother me but if you are one of those who hate having to pause a DVD, you might not like Meso 1. Now that I've done the program a few times, know to have my weights set up as far as I can, I find myself waiting, even on the chest DVD's (the ones that move the fastest) in Meso 1. But this set is not for the equipment minimalist who hates to pause.

If you can do the X with your tweaky joints I think you could do STS as well.

Cathe does not include nutrition. I think she has a program you can purchase, but there is so much information in other places you shouldn't need to buy a program. I kind of like the monthly eating plans included in the Clean Eating mags. They are on-line for free. Sometimes I'll add in a protein shake after an STS day.

Good luck with your decision. I do think it is a great program and do like it better than the X due to the variety.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.