Confused about resistance bands

AnneMA

Cathlete
I have a 24" yellow resistance band loop that I've used for years and years. I don't feel that it's enough resistance for me to continue using and wanted to get a new one. I did some web searches and there are so many variables. It looks like there are bands that are 24", but come in different colors and thus different resistance. Then there are different lengths like 18" instead of 24". Any suggestion on best way to go with this?

I think it's somewhat going to depend what exercises you plan to do with it. I have a resistance band that is heavy resistance but there is a lot of exercises I can't use it with because it's too short. I've never worked with the loops but I would think you might run into the same thing.

I'm sure other Cathlete's will have more input.

I don't think it'd really be possible to get a single recommendation from other people. Something like this would be different for every person based on fitness level, height, the specific exercises you're doing with them, and even how you want to approach each exercise (e.g. "heavy" with low reps or "light" with high reps).

I recently got sick of tying and untying my bands into loops, and "splurged" :p on a 3-pack of loops of varying resistance for $7 at walmart, so it won't break the bank to get a few different ones and try them out.

Although if you just want to replace that one band, I would get the same length you had before and try to figure out what the next level up in resistance is. Do you know what brand it is? Do you have a guess as to whether it's light or medium resistance? Maybe if you assume it's medium resistance, buy the 24" heavy resistance, then if that seems like way too much of an increase in resistance, purchase the medium one in addition. Then either return the heavy or keep it for when you progress to being able to use it.

Thanks . . . I think I'll try getting a variety 3 pack. That makes the most sense. They don't seem to make the loop that I have anymore. It's such great quality it lasted years and I've been reading reviews about bands breaking, so trying to avoid that.

Thanks, Clare. The reviews on Cathe's loops were not great, so that's why I was looking elsewhere.

Firewalker Loops.

Not trying to convince you to buy our loops, but understand that almost nobody writes positive reviews about a product like a loop. Thus, you will only hear the negative reviews. TPE products all have the same problem regardless of who you buy them from and that is if they get a slight tear from a sharp object; i.e. edge of a shoe, step riser, finger nail, then the TPE loop will completely rip all the way through. As long as you avoid sharp objects the loops will probably last you for years. We've used the same loops for hundreds of rehearsals and numerous videos shoots without ever having one break. Regardless of who you buy these from you will need to be careful to avoid any sharp objects.

I had one fire walker band break on me. I assumed it was because I was so strong. :) Guess I must have gotten a little tear in it... Otherwise, I've had my bands and loops for about 3 years and no problems.

I've been using the Cathe loops for over a year without any problems (no rips, tears, etc.). However, I am due for a new set. The green has become too outstretched at this point (feels as easy as the pink) so now I use the blue to substitute for the green.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.