Computer games, etc: What happens in the brain?

Biteset

Cathlete
So, those brain-sucking diversions--the kind that make hours pass without notice, meals go forgotten...

For some it's computer games. For others it's getting lost in a good novel. Whatever provides an extended escape from reality.

I'll call it playing computer games, such as Spider Solitaire.

Here's the question: do these things release addictive endorphins or something in our brains? It seems like I've heard something like this. Has anyone heard anything about this? Any links? Any knowledge?

(my husband says I could have just researched this by Googling it, but I think these forums are more fun)

Also, I'm not naming names. ;-)

Gisela

Scientifically, I don't know, personally, its about finishing or what's next. I'm an impatient person by nature, and I love to read. I will read for hours if left alone, if only to find out what's next in the story and how it all ends. I've been known to read the last page 1st on many occasions. I like to play video games too. For more action or story driven games, its about whats next and winning. I like to win, too. For more puzzle games - solitaire, tetris, its about figuring it out, and again, winning!! So yes, it can be addicting. Why, I don't know. If you think about it, most things you like are "addicting" in a good way. This website, a sunny day, hugs & kisses, chocolate :) I think its only a bad thing when it gets in the way of normal life - playing video games into the wee hours of the morning and missing work, losing touch w/ reality vs fantasy, drugs, alcohol, etc. I think people just need to escape from the pressure and worries of real life. And while the brain probably knows its not real, it can at least pretend it is real or zone out from the real world for that tiny space of time and makes you feel better. That's my take on the matter, based on no scientific facts whatsoever.

Hi Gisela:)

Scientifically, I don't know either.

But here's a story from our own household to shed some light.

Our children do not spend a lot of time playing video games, but when they do, they get rather "focused", shall we say. Oh that they would display this kind of single minded attention when doing chores or homework.

Anyway, recently, whilst 12yo ds was playing and 10yo dd and 7 yo dd were watching him play, one of the little ones pooped on the floor not 3 feet from them AND NOT ONE OF THEM NOTICED.

My husband took a picture: 3 kids focused intently on a screen while a giant t*rd lies 3 feet away. We're saving this for future blackmail}( }( }( .

take care
Maggie

Hi Gisela:)

Scientifically, I don't know either.

But here's a story from our own household to shed some light.

Our children do not spend a lot of time playing video games, but when they do, they get rather "focused", shall we say. Oh that they would display this kind of single minded attention when doing chores or homework.

Anyway, recently, whilst 12yo ds was playing and 10yo dd and 7 yo dd were watching him play, one of the little ones pooped on the floor not 3 feet from them AND NOT ONE OF THEM NOTICED.

My husband took a picture: 3 kids focused intently on a screen while a giant t*rd lies 3 feet away. We're saving this for future blackmail}( }( }( .

take care
Maggie

No science here either. I tried googling it...zzzzzzzzzz. Maggie's story is hilarious!! Gisela, you are right the forums are much more fun.
I told my kids that Cathe is like a video game to me. I can not believe how much more they respect my workout time. They rarely interrupt me anymore. :) :)

Take care,
iris123

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.