Composting?

jcm

Cathlete
Anyone here have experience composting? I'm thinking about starting but have no idea how. An internet search was overwhelming! Any info or specifics on what sites to visit would be appreciated. I figure this will really help the garden this year. If the snow here in Michigan ever melts.

Jen

We have a compost pile all year but our climate is way milder than yours. ours "goes" all year, we turn it occasionally. we don't put grass clippings in it because they tend to form a mat that doesn't decay, plus most lawns have chemicals put on them.
I don't put weeds in because it doesn't get hot enough to destroy them or their seeds. same with manure. if you have access to fresh manure, remember that whatever the animals ate, the weed seeds pass though and probably still be viable.
we spread the finished compost on our vegie garden in spring and mix it in.
we have a open sided wood frame with a loose lid. all the garden trimmings and kitchen trimmings go into it. vegies and fruit peels, cores, coffee grounds, egg shells. we grow a lot of vegies and all the plant parts like corn stalks and spent crops go in too. big things break down faster if they're shredded. nothing with meat or oil.... you don't want to attract rats. I don't put in things like bread or cereal either. ours never dries out but some areas need to wet the pile to keep it decomposing. what else do you want to know?

Thanks for the info! I had only thought of putting kitchen scraps in - never occured to me to use other things. Do you spread in in the garden as fertilizer through the summer or just in the spring?

If your pile is "hot" .... like if things are shredded, and you add manure ... it will decompose more quickly.... then you might be able to use it thru the summer. ours is not that "hot". we add the majority of plant shreddings in fall. like corn stalks, squash plants etc. I add fruit and vegie trimmings, egg shells, coffee grounds thru the winter. we only empty it into the garden in spring.
there are some rotating metal compost bins available that you can turn regularly. they compost things more quickly than a plain pile sitting on the ground. some people use a series of piles, with a start pile, a middle pile and a finishing one. we keep it simple. we used to add other things to it, but it seems to work fine without additional ingredients. we leave a little finished compost on the ground in spring so we have a place to mix in the new trimmings.

I have a small lidded bucket in the kitchen to collect daily trimmings. I dump that into a bigger bin ( lidded) on the deck. that gets transferred to the pile when it's full. things get pretty decomposed even before it goes into the pile itself. you want lids so you don't get flies, fruit flies, smells etc.

we've never had a problem with rodents or smells, but we are also in a rural area, not right in town. If I'm not sure about anything, I don't add it.

I'm in Montana so over the winter months we're kind of at a stand still with the composting process so I have two composting bins - one to build up for that year and one to pull the compost from for my garden. I opted to get two rotating compost bins so it was easy to keep things mixed. they also close so I don't have issues with animals getting in but I do have a fear of opening it at one point and having a mouse greet me :)

To start I filled it about 1/3 of the way with a 50/50 dry/wet mixture. For wet kitchen scraps are the best and for dry you can use newspaper, dry leaves, paper towel rolls. Just be sure to tear up the newspaper and rolls into smaller pieces if you use them. I also put in some soil to help with the process.

Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.