Complex Step Choreography wanted

mfv3

Cathlete
I LOVE complex step choreography and dancy moves. Rhythmic Step and Step Moves are a couple of my favorites.

I recently discovered Rebecca Small. I have her Step 2 Success and really like it.

Can anyone recommend workouts by instructors who would fit into this category? What do you think of them?

Have you tried any of Amy Bento's step workouts? I can't do complex step at all but she is well loved on VF forum and has complex choreography and work outs that are very challenging (from what I hear). She's not my cup of tea but I would check her out if that's your thing. :)

I second the recommendation of Amy Bento. Her choreography is very involved and complex. I have her Advanced Step Challenge 2 and it is quite difficult.

I have been doing Step for 20 years now, both in live club classes and now at home on dvd's, and generally am able to pick up choreography fairly quickly...but this one is tough. I have only done it once, was completely challenged. I have had the dvd for 8 months now. I plan to conquer it...but I know that to do that it will take me at least 6-7 more tries plus just sitting and actually writing out the steps.

Check out Seasun Z., she's pretty complex and dancy. Amy Bento rocks for complex step also and Cathes low impact challenge is another goodie.

cokonkel said:
Have you tried any of Amy Bento's step workouts? I can't do complex step at all but she is well loved on VF forum and has complex choreography and work outs that are very challenging (from what I hear). She's not my cup of tea but I would check her out if that's your thing. :)

Hi - what is the VF forum? I can't seem to keep up with the acronyms :)

Susan

I second the Amy Bento and Seasun Zieger recommendations - they are both great and a lot of fun! Try Seasun Z's latest, Z-fit Super Step; it is a ton of fun. With Amy Bento, I really like her first one Advanced Step Challenge, and it is a great intro to Amy's step.

Rebecca rocks! You should try her other DVDs. They're almost all absolutely amazing. That woman is genius. Her choreo is brilliant. You'll notice after you've done all of her DVDs that every other instructor on this thread is pretty much inspired by Rebecca w/their own spin.

And a second for Patrick Goudeaux. He's very complex as well & he's a bit more creative w/Rebecca's moves.

Amy & Christi are OK, but if I had a choice I'd go w/Amy. Her workouts are much more intense & complex. Christi reminds me very much of Cathe.

If you are looking for the type of choreography that Rebecca Small puts out you should check out the Australian fitness presenters. Most of them present just like her. Marcus Irwin would be someone to check out. I don't know if Lexi Williams still presents but she also had this style. Steve Schiemer (who may be married to Rebecca, not sure on this) also presents in this manner. If you like the move "the Elvis" these presenters will deliver.

Hope this helps :)

If you are looking for the type of choreography that Rebecca Small puts out you should check out the Australian fitness presenters. Most of them present just like her. Marcus Irwin would be someone to check out. I don't know if Lexi Williams still presents but she also had this style. Steve Schiemer (who may be married to Rebecca, not sure on this) also presents in this manner. If you like the move "the Elvis" these presenters will deliver.

Thanks Cathe! Great info! The "Elvis" always makes me laugh. Leave it to Australians to name a step move after an American. ;)

Yes, I think Steve is Rebecca's husband. He's one of her "backup babes" in a DVD & she makes fun of him much more than everyone else, so I figure they must be married. :D

Thanks so much Cathe! Really appreciate the response. I will check them all out. Yes- LOVE "the Elvis".....so fun :)

Just finished AT....WOW! What a burn! LOVED it! I couldn't decide which of the LIS to buy so I just bought them all lol. Received them Sat. Can't wait to try Challenge Step tomorrow :)

Thanks so much for all the replies! I look forward to checking all these instructors out!

Very helpful :)

Seasun Zieger is great for complex choreography. Straight Up Step would be the most moderate of her choreography. My favorite of hers is CIA 2903 - Stepping Up. It has great music. This is probably my most complex step workout and it takes awhile to learn the choreography (you probably won't get it on your first time out unless you're a real master stepper!) but it really is worth the effort.

I also like Tracey Staehle's Steady State Step.
Rob Glick is also good. I like his Amazing Step Styles.

And last but not least, Patrick Goudeau. If you can handle all his "Oh my goshes", he is so much fun. I like all his step workouts except for B.E.S.T. which I thought was really hard to follow and I really love complex choreography.

I would rate all of these workouts as more complex in terms of choreography than Cathe. I find Rhythmic Step to be her most complex and all of these, IMO, are more complex.

Just a warning - Patrick and Seasun love to turn! But you could always leave out the turns if you don't like them.

I also agree with Cathe about the Evolution instructors. I like Robert Steinbacher's Step Sensation. There is an Evolution DVD called Stomp It! Step Showdown 2 which has the following instructors and excerpts from the following workouts:

Rebecca Small - Symmetrical Step Solutions
Yoav Avidar - Contagious Choregraphy
Adi Rothman - Contagious Choreography
Bianca Swartout - People in Motion
Marcus Irwin - Dance Fusion
Mark Oliver Kluike (Really like his stuff!) - Dance Step 3
Petra Kluike - People in Motion
Jutta Schuhn - Burn & Tone
Steve Schiemer - Combo Mania

Marcy

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.