Colorado Or Bust

fitladydi

Cathlete
I am thinking about moving to Colorado Springs I currently live in NJ and hate it here. I've been to Colorado and fell in love but am wondering with the times we live in if its too risky finding work making friends etc. Is anyone here from the Springs area? What are the jobs like people like climate I know if nice and so is the scenery. Thanks

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Colorado Springs!

I've been here almost 20 years, moved here right out of college. I still remember driving here from the east, the mountains getting bigger and bigger and thinking, how close am I going to get to those mountains? I couldn't believe it when my destination was at the very base of the Front Range. I've lived in northern Virginia/D.C., southern Virginia (college), San Diego and even the Phillippines (my dad was in the Navy). I have never been struck by such beauty. Even now, I look at the mountains and tell my girls, Aren't they amazing? They've come to appreciate how the clouds hug the mountains, a hawk perched on a streetlight, the beautiful sparkling snow.

Having come from the East Coast (hot, humid, hazy, traffic....) the bright blue sky gets me every time. We have 300 days of sunshine here. Yes, it snows, but being a mile closer to the sun means it melts quickly. Summer is (now) my favorite season - I don't like being too hot, though we can hit the 90s and it can get very dry. I don't have oily skin anymore, but lotion and chapstick are always with me. Fall and Spring are shorter seasons than on the East Coast and winter can be long. But there are always days here and there when it's 60 degrees in the winter. And it doesn't feel so cold! The lack of humidity in the winter makes a big difference, too.

Colorado is a very fit state. My mom's friend was just visiting from Texas and she told me, "Everyone here is so thin! They are always outside!" People here love to hike, bike, run ...

One thing I noticed immediately was how nice people are. They just start talking to you. I noticed that at my bank, the grocery store, the post office .... and once you get settled, it's really seems like a small town. In reality, it's pretty spread out, and I prefer living right in the foothills of the mountains. But there are so many options. Housing prices vary greatly, depending on the area of town.

I would say we're pretty average for jobs. In today's paper there was a report that said we had the largest increase in new jobs in 10 years. There are several military bases, including the Air Force Academy and NORAD - our troops are appreciated here and an important part of the community.

My sister moved here as soon as she graduated from college, and my parents moved here when I was pregnant with my first daughter. None of us could ever go back, though I still love to visit.

After living all over the world for the first 1/2 of my life, this is the only place that feels like home, and I'm so happy my 2 girls are being raised here.

Hope this helps!

I live in Evergreen, a mountain suburb of Denver, but my brother is in Monument, just north of the Springs.

I think you'd find the weather in Colorado to be awesome. It's a secret I don't like to get out because folks have this perception that Colorado is cold, but even living in the mountains, unless it is actually snowing, most days in the winter get above freezing. Add in all that sunshine and there are few days that feel really cold to me. During the summer temps rarely rise above 80-85 degrees during the hottest part of the day (but I do live in the mountains). Colorado has one of the highest average days of sunshine in the nation. Sunshine = happiness!!

The only issue I can think of for the Springs is because it is so military, it is one of the most conservative places in Colorado, overall a mixed liberal/conservative state. If you're conservative, that should be fine, but coming from the coast you may be more liberal and I did want to mention that. There are also several religious organizations based there like Focus on the Family. Also, may not bother you at all, but in the interest of full disclosure, felt you should be aware of those conservative leanings. God, family, country.

I'm originally from the south so don't find the folks overly friendly here, just sort of "normal". But if you are coming from the East Coast, you might find them to be very friendly! Folks here do tend to be fit with an outdoor lifestyle, but not everyone. However, the outdoor lifestyle is one of the best reasons to consider the move. Also, at least here in Evergreen, almost everyone is from somewhere else which does mean it's a bit easier to fit in. Not sure if it is like that so much in the Springs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar.

We moved to Monument, CO from San Diego almost six years ago and have never looked back!!! It's quite beautiful out here and the seasons are fairly temperate. Your definition of "cold" will definitely change after acclamating. There are sooooo many beautiful places to hike you won't run out of new vistas anytime soon! ITA with the other posters who mentioned how this is typically a "thin and fit" state. The kids around here are rarely overweight or obese! The schools rank among the best in the nation in District 38 (our district).

I also agree that it's a super friendly state!! If you get involved with a church you'll quickly get hooked up with great people. Monument is a small-ish community so I run into people I know everywhere I go. We are in between the Springs & Denver.

Now, having said all that, it is an extremely dry state as far as humidity levels go. But the beauty of this state more than makes up for it.

Have fun in your research!

Pam

I can't speak from personal experience but my sister and her family moved to CO Springs in February. My brother in law is an Episcopal Priest so the church took them there from the sunny South.

They love it. They have made friends so very quickly and have adjusted great. They've sent me pics from their backyard (and front) and just from looking at those I can tell the scenery is breathtaking. They've taken a few daytrips to Breckenridge to ski and tube w/ the kids. They live right at a hiking trail so go hiking all the time, which sounds like it's really big there.

My sis tells me that when the snow comes in it usually melts off pretty quickly after the sun comes out so they aren't buried in snow for days like they are in the East.

I visited CO (Estes Park) as a kid and I loved it too. It's a really pretty state!

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide :)

Thank you all so much for your replies I have to work on convincing my husband who is on the fence but hopefully the next time I post it will be from Colorado.

Hey ladyfitdi,

I am originally from Colorado Springs, and while it is nice, I couldn't take the winters anymore. I am so incredibly sensitive to the cold weather and get very depressed when it snows....especially in April/ May!

Having said that, I am sure you will love it there as the cold is not as intense as it is back East! Summers are really beautiful and everything is green. I do miss the Broadmoor and Garden of the Gods. Those are gorgeous parts of the city!

Good luck and keep us posted on your move there!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.