colds, viruses, etc.

RapidBreath

Cathlete
I have caught a lousy cold and I'm doing my best not to get sicker.

I am taking something called 'Coldcalm' which really seems to be helping my congestion. I am also drinking hot lemon water and I take sudafed or ibuprofen as needed.

Just thought I would start a cold/flu/viruses thread.

Any handy ideas that you ladies know about? Remedies that work for you?

Alisha

Oil of Oregano. But I post about it every time someone mentions Rx for cold/sniffle. I use 2x daily and have for last 4 years. Haven't had a sniffle since and I live with 3 young petri dishes. Good luck.

Cold-eez lozenges work for me. If you start taking them when you feel a cold coming on, you can stop the cold from hitting you altogether.

I use a nasal saline rinse and I find it's been more effective than medicinal decongestants.
Feel better soon
Sherry

If its something you suffer from frequently, I've heard that cutting out wheat, and/or dairy helps.
I know it won't help your immediate situation, though!

I don't really have any ideas of what to do after you catch the cold, but what has worked for me for years to avoid a cold is the following:

1000 MG Vitamin C supplement every day.

Wash hands always, especially in public restrooms (of course), but also upon returning home from being out in public.

Flu shot.

How about someone that has had a low grade temp off/on for 10 days? No sniffle, no cough (but VERY tight chest) and, uhm, potty marathons the entire time as well? I agree with all suggestions for a cold!

Homemade chicken dumpling soup. The base is made with garlic, onions, carrots, parsley, celery and the chicken is whole with bones but the skin is removed. Simmered for two hours then strained into a clear base for dumplings.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
For prevention, nasal rinse with a neti pot or NeilMed nasa mist every day. Also, drink kefir. If I feel a cold coming on, I take cold-eez. This has worked like a champ for me.

Oil of Oregano. But I post about it every time someone mentions Rx for cold/sniffle. I use 2x daily and have for last 4 years. Haven't had a sniffle since and I live with 3 young petri dishes. Good luck.

I have Oil of Oregano and use it as an antiseptic for cuts and abrasions. How do you use it to prevent colds?

Re: Oil of Oregano. Fill dropper ~ 1/2 full. Apply one drop outside each nostril, to be absorbed through the skin. The balance of the dropper under the tongue, to be absorbed sublingually. Hold there as long as possible before swallowing down w/ water. Taste dissipates quickly. Follow this routine 2x daily. Preventatively as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.