coconut oil ?

Jenn38

Cathlete
My grocery store sells the spectrum brand coconut oil. I'm just want to know should I be buying the refined or unrefined oil? And what's the difference? I'm so confused.

Jenn

I would use unrefined. Less processing. How are you planning to use it? I use the majority of my coconut oil as a skin moisturizer, but I use it for popcorn too.

Unrefined is the one to use if you are using it for all the health benefits, I pretty much only use it in smoothies, I do have the unrefined (by accident) that I use for cooking sometimes, but I'm not sure the health benefits are really there in the unrefined, so I usually just use olive oil for cooking. I find the unrefined has too much coconut taste for regular cooking, but would probably be good in curry dishes.

I'm thinking of using it mainly for smoothies. Other then that I'm not really sure. I know it's suppose to be very good for you.

Oh yeah, then definitely go with the unrefined, it also adds a nice coconut flavor too. You'll notice it changes consistency depending on how hot it is, so in the market it's likely a solid because the store is very cool, and for me in the summer in my house it can "melt" almost to a pure liquid, but in the winter, it usually stays solid. That's the same brand I buy.

We use Spectrum Unrefined Coconut Oil and have been really happy with it. Great flavor. Haven't tried refined due to the additional processing.

Unrefined is more coconutty and refined is less coconutty, more bland flavor. I like the refined and I do seem to get all the benefits such as a revved up metabolism (higher body temperature.) and it helps with my sense of hunger. Its my go to oil for baking and stir frys.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.