cleansers?

runfree

Cathlete
can anyone recommend a good colon cleanser or detox? there are so many, dont know which to choose. they have so many new ones, like slimquick with kloe and kim kardashian and then theres some berry cleanser at walmart and I had tried jillians in the past but didnt get alot from it. I guess my stomach didnt seem bloated . any suggestions?

Sorry, I vote for none of them; our bodies are self-cleansing ;)
Besides, I think they can be dangerous.

If you want to feel more "clean", then how about a day with all fresh fruits and veggies water and juices.... nothing processed at all?

I would also recommend doing a cleanse using a raw-food diet or a green-smoothies diet for a couple of days rather than any of those products (especially something by the Kardashians or something found in Walmart).

(Actually, any diet that is a step closer to these than your current diet would be somewhat of a cleanse).

Starting your morning with a green smoothie would be a more gradual way of cleansing/detoxing, and can be done indefinitely.

Adding something like chlorella (pills are easiest to take, as the "green' flavor is very strong) for heavy-metal cleansing, and/or chia seeds or flax meal for added bulk could be beneficial as well.

A couple months ago, I tried one called CleanseSmart or SmartCleanse..something like that. It has a picture of a sun on the package. On Day 2 I was SICK with food poisoning-like symptoms for 48 hours. Could have been a coincidence but I'm not going to risk that again...!

Hot topic today, I am in the camp that believes these are useless and often times harmful. I agree more with Kathryn, try adding in some super healthy green smoothies to replace a meal or two to up your nutrients.

About 10 yrs ago I used a Colon Cleanse product and ended up with elevated liver enzymes, a high fever, and jaundice. I took the bottle to the doc during one of my many doctor visits and he said that it didn't appear that the ingredients were harmful, but he never did determine the exact cause of my problem, and that was the only thing I'd done different in my diet, etc. I threw the stuff away and would never even think of using anything like that again.

I agree w/ everyone else...best things to cleanse your body are lots of water, veggies and fruits. In Tosca Reno's new book she recommends drinking 4 glasses of water upon waking and having juice from a fresh lemon squeezed into hot water as a natural detox before your first meal of the day.

MorningStar's link is hilarious! Everyone should read it for a good, cleansing laugh!

From a medical professional's un-biased viewpoint: please, please, please don't use any "detox" methods other than lots of water, fiber and clean-eating! The chemicals, supplements and agents in these detox pills and diets can cause severe derangements in your body's electrolytes and can cause very serious and even fatal reactions (including liver damage, kidney damage, bowel rupture, heart arrythmias and/or heart attacks, and more).
Usually, you will not see any problems...but do you want to be one of the rare few that do have complications? Do you want to take that risk? Is it worth it? (take my word for it....it isn't.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.