Clean Veggie Dips?

carres1973

Cathlete
Good afternoon all! My co-worker and I are *trying* to improve our eating habits. She is actually much further along in the process than I am. Anyhoo...we each take turns bringing in cut up veggies to snack on throughout the day. If we wanted a dip for the veggies, is there a particular kind that is healthier? Is hummus considered "clean"? I am thinking so but not sure because of the tahini. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carrie

Hummus definitely considered clean, Tosca Reno has several hummus recipes in her cookbook.

I just tried this recipe from Natalia Rose's The Raw Food Detox Diet as a veggie dip and I LOVED it!

(Makes 2 cups)

1 cup raw and creamy almond butter
2 tablespoons fresh ginger
1/2 cup water (to thin)
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons Nama Shoyu
4 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 jalapeño pepper

Blend all ingredients at high speed until smooth. The dressing will become thicker after a few days in the fridge.
Add water when needed.

It can be used as a salad dressing or as a dip for carrots and other vegetables.

Every day

this week I have had a plate of hummus, carrots, sugar snap peas and pita chips. It's Heaven! Filling too.

BTW - love Natalia Rose! Do you have her latest book "4Week Detox for Women" - good book! I am back into juicing.

this week I have had a plate of hummus, carrots, sugar snap peas and pita chips. It's Heaven! Filling too.

BTW - love Natalia Rose! Do you have her latest book "4Week Detox for Women" - good book! I am back into juicing.

I don't. What's the difference between the Raw Food Detox and the 4 week Detox for Women? They don't have the Detox for Women at the library yet and I have been pretty strict about not buying any new books unless they are an absolute must ;)

Have you tried her Green Lemonade? I am addicted!!! I drink it every day.

Hummus can be clean..or not, depending on how its made. Store-bought hummus can have preservatives and additives you don't need. Homemade is the best. Tahini is not 'unclean,' but it is high in fat (but also nutrients). "Clean" doesn't mean "low fat," but rather healthful, IMO.

I've made dips with garbanzo beans similar to hummus, but a bit different. In a food processor, blend garbanzos, onions, and poultry seasoning. Add seasonings to taste. You can play with this basic recipe to make different versions that please your palate.

Another option (though not low fat): soak 1 cup raw cashews in water to cover for 4-6 hours. Rinse and drain, then blend up with about 1 Tbsp lemon juice, some onion powder and garlic powder. This makes the 'sour cream' base. Add chopped herbs to taste (dill, basil and chives or green onions are a good combo).

You can also try the cashew dip using white beans instead of the cashews (rinse and drain a can of white beans and process until smooth).

Last edited:
Hummus came to mind quickly - also you can make some great dips out of cottage cheese using your food processor and any types of flavor you like: garlic, onion, red pepper, etc. It blends very nicely - if you want it thicker you can add a little FF or lt. cream cheese. The cheese blends add more protein along with the carbs of your fruit or veggies !

Just opened my Clean Eating mag last night and there is a recipe for "fake" hummus using zuchinni instead of garbanzos.

You could also use plain yogurt in place of a sour cream type of dip, again using your favorite "flavors".

I like to use nonfat plain Greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute in dip recipes. Some things to throw in include minced onion, garlic, carrots, spinach, curry powder, and dill.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.