CLA and L-Glutamine??

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
Hey ladies,
I had bought some amino acids awhile back and wasn't very good about taking them regularly... I wonder, do any of you take CLA and/or L-Glutamine? Have you noticed a difference when you use them? Do you have more energy? When do you take them?

I have taken both.

I remember when CLA came on board in the 90's and it was touted as a weight loss secret. It's a fatty acid (conjugated) and you get it from meat, dairy, etc. The other things I remember being said was that it inhibited cancer or tumor growth and had all sorts of good things to do with skin and hair. Anyway, I was taking CLA every day at the recommended amount for over a year and I don't even remember a blip in better skin quality or a magic reduction in belly fat. I didn't take it for increased endurance, and I don't think it was advertised for that. I took it to lose some weight after having my daughter. I get much better results with good old coconut oil, plus it provides a quick energy release that lasts.

Glutamine I have and take on a bi-regular basis. That is the most abundant amino acid in your body. I don't take that for added energy either, but for muscle repair, especially if I'm not eating enough protein and losing too much muscle due to riding. That one I always have on hand.

Oh...forgot...oils are best taken with food for absorption. Glutamine with a morning shake, before or after a hard workout.

Thanks! I am a vegetarian so I decided to start back taking these, but I wasn't sure exactly how to incorporate them. I also read CLA was supposed to help in weight loss... But I'm not banking on it.
I really need to try coconut oil. I keep hearing such great things about it. How do you incorporate it into your diet?

If you do get some, pay attention if its virgin coconut oil and how its processed. Because that will determine how much lauric acid (which is a mid-chain fatty acid) it contains. You don't want any hull pieces in there either because of mycotoxins. I like Nutiva, Garden of Life, Tropical Traditions, Barleans, anything at Trader Joes works too. I use it in place of stick butter, ounce per ounce for baking, bakes the same way, just way healthier. Chocolate chip cookies are outrageous! I saute my eggs in it too. I use it in place of milk with my protein, melt it in the microwave and pour into 6 ounces of water and a scoop of protein or whatever, and mix it up in the mini-blender. Coconut fires up your thyroid (lauric acid) and seriously, that will keep me full until lunch. I don't know how tall or big you are, but one tablespoon is what I use in the morning. I wouldn't go over that or you will be adding too many calories, so be careful there. But you also need enough for it to be effective. I like it better then milk, so I trade the calories.

CLA you buy is made from sunflower oil, or maybe safflower too, depends on the manufacturer. In your diet though, cla is obtained from beef/milk/cheese products and you aren't getting that if you are a vegetarian. You need to take at least a gram of that a day for it to be effective. Take it with food and if you have positive results, that's great. If not, that stuff is expensive. You could also take a look at Evening Primrose Oil and Salmon Oil.

I got some coconut oil at Whole Foods today and it is virgin and expeller pressed. I also bought some hemp seed on a whim. I'm excited to try both of them! Thanks for all of the advice!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.